Thanksgiving Dinner Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
sour pickles diced (you can't use any other kind of pickle)

So not dill pickles, but sour--like these -->Sour Pickles

Many thanks for posting the recipe!

That's them.

We're doing a traditional oven baked turkey, a smoked turkey breast, and I'm also getting some burnt ends ready. We'll also have a few of the (healthier) side dishes.

We're having about a dozen or so family out on Saturday. Our Thursday will be spent doing volunteer work.

As our two of our kids are college age and want dine and dash, we are joining forces with another couple in our church and having dinner with them. (Their kids are all married off and apparently with their respective in-laws.)

They are doing the traditional roasted turkey. I have a 13# bird to deep fry. I also have a 7# chicken to do the same. I'm making my better than my doppleganger's "roll that beautiful bean footage" baked beans and oilBabe is doing the green bean casserole and something else.

This will be the 11th year I've dropped a bird into hot oil and healthy be darned for one day, I just love it.

The usual... deep fried turkey, prime rib and ham + all kinds of fixin's & goodies.
The only change is this time we're deep frying a seasoned & brined Diestel turkey (Costco) instead of our usual home brine and seasoning. It's a $60 turkey so hope it turns out.

Has anybody tried garbage can turkey? My father in law made one last year. Put turkey on a spit in the garden, put metal garbage can over it and then put charcoal over it. Made the best turkey I've had in a long time.

I am SO making that oyster salad.

Aside from the regular turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, which was excellent, by the way...

I introduced my wife to a turnip dish my mom made when we were kids. I loved it.
You dice and peel a few turnips, boil them to soften them up then mash em.
Mix in white rice, Thyme and Pepper and some grated Romano cheese. Bake it to firm it up a little.
Then put heavy grated Swiss and Romano on top and broil to melt and lightly brown the cheese.
If my wife didn't make the best mashed potatoes ever, I would only eat the turnips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back