Thanksgiving dinner take out this year from a diner

For Thanksgiving the one child goes to the in-laws, our parents are deceased, past 4-5 years ago we've gone to a chain called Houlihan's for Thanksgiving dinner. They've done a tasty meal for $18 then raised it to $25. We stopped. The past 3 years we've gone to 2 different diners, the first we weren't happy, $12 maybe; the past 2 years a terrific meal at a different diner for maybe the same price or +$1 for soup, salad, cinnamon and cheese breads, oven roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, vegetable, dessert, huge portions, we've been very happy there. This year the daughter is not going so we are doing take-out from this same diner. $80 feeds 6-8 people, 2 qts soup, salad, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, choice of 2 vegetables, bread, no dessert. I'll make real cranberry sauce.

Sounds wonderful. There is a grocery chain in CA, Whole Foods. AKA Whole Paycheck.
They prepare everything, you put it in the oven for 40 minutes.
Easy peasey and really good food.

Never heard of that restaurant. We just go to my grandmas like I always do with my parents and sister and her family and a few other relatives. No restaurants around here are going to be open anyway and my mom has to work so she is not pleased but at least it’s only in the morning she has to work. She doesn’t like to cook so we have never had Thanksgiving at home we did have it at a local restaurant once but that restaurant is long gone now.

There are phases in a family's life when not only Grandma's is no longer available, but neither is Mom's, but you don't yet have the gravity (grandkids, etc.) to attract enough people to make cooking the whole big deal worthwhile. In the past we've invited single people, old folks, etc, but they are full up or gone now. Options like this are great. We are doing something similar this Thanksgiving, getting away and generally not fussing too much about the Big Dinner.

Once the grandkids arrive (that will be some years out), we'll go back to the Big Dinner. I have all the family recipes tucked away.

Cracker Barrel does something similar. I think you can buy ready made plates to go, or buy entire platters of each side/item to feed everyone.

Sounds wonderful. There is a grocery chain in CA, Whole Foods. AKA Whole Paycheck.
Amazon. Safeway, Lucky and Raley’s does similar.

I’ve cooked the thanksgiving feast for the parents for the last 10 years. This year, my parents are doing it. Though, I did stop by Whole Wallet and bought a little turkey. I’m gonna smoke it while painting a room for a friend.

I get the whole traditional meal for Thanksgiving but it's just been the wife and I since most relatives have passed or live out of town so we decided to skip the headache of cooking all that stuff just of us. This year I"m going to make a pot of chili and garlic bread, plus I've always like meat and cheese trays to snack on during the day. One of my favorite things to make is stuffed celery using pimento cheese.

Yep! Whole Paycheck. Owned by Amazon now. Clever.

I am similar.. no Holly Jolly Thanksgiving. Family all goes to another house and I am Home Alone. Something like Kevin McAlister. And that was a huge, rich house.

Might get a lot of Burger King Wednesday night (traffic. Oh, the traffic!) and eat that on "turkey day." I am Thankful, however, and that is the most important thing.

Never heard of that restaurant. We just go to my grandmas like I always do with my parents and sister and her family and a few other relatives. No restaurants around here are going to be open anyway and my mom has to work so she is not pleased but at least it’s only in the morning she has to work. She doesn’t like to cook so we have never had Thanksgiving at home we did have it at a local restaurant once but that restaurant is long gone now.
Fridays, Applebees, Houlihans....all the same style.

Went to Marie Calendar's about 9 years ago when my wife was pregnant for a take out Thanks giving dinner. It was next to a senior home and it was completely packed with senior. $20 for a meal for one with turkey breast, stuffing, a slice of pumpkin pie, and vegetables, etc.

Only turkey or ham dinner option, nothing else. They also sold a whole pie for $10-13 typically.

Back