Choosing oil filter size

MANN says: Sure, you could use the middle sized Filter. That is the 100% correct one!
MAHLE says: Use only the big Filter...that is the 100% correct one!

(Not) Surprsingly, only one day after i send a mail to MAHLE asking for the correct filter for the Honda S2000, they changed their online catalouge regarding the Honda S2000. From the middle sized filter to the bigger one....

Just for your information, the middle sized filter was THE standard oil filter in Europe for all Hondas up to ca. the year 2000, then honda changes slowly to the bigger ones. I think in the USA honda allways used the bigger ones.

Last edited:
Well, Fram shows the 6607 for the Honda S2000. The 6607 is a pretty small oil filter. The larger version of the 6607 is the 7317. I think you will drive yourself crazy trying to base what filter you should use on the size of the filter. :unsure: ;)

Capture.JPG

Gentlemen,
i need annother advice. I have the coiche between 2 or even 3 oil filter sizes. Car is a Honda S2000.

The original oil filter is the big one on the left, meant for a long OCI of 10,000 Miles. Volume about 0.4 Quarts.
The middle one is the older version from Honda, used previously on all Hondas, at least in Europe. Meant for a shorter OCI of 6,000 Miles. Volume about 0.3 Quarts.
The right one, the smallest, is designed for different cars (Mazda Miata/ Nissan Z350) but it will fit pefertcly and is othwerwse 100% identical to the middle one. Volume about 0,2 Quarts.

My goal ist to fight cold start wear, i want a oil filter that gets filled as fast as possible when i start the engine. The car is a weekend toy, it is sitting often for 1 or 2 weeks.
I run short OCIs, once a year. My expierience with OEM Honda Filters so far is bad, it looks like i had a few with a bad drainback valve.

Is there a technical need for the bigger filter? Could i use the smaller ones without a risk for the engine?
I am a littel bit puzzled why honda uesed the big filter on the S2000. Is there maybe a technical reason beside a longer OCi?
The S200 has a little higher then usual Oil pressure, around 85 - 100 PSi / 6 to 7 Bar. Otherwise, it is a regular Honda engine. Close to the K series.

I had some E-Mails with MAHLE Filters, but all they told me was that the big and the middle ones are rated both with a flowrate of 20 Liters per minute and have the same dirt holding capacitiy.
By your way of thinking, that 0.1 qt. of extra oil capacity will enable you to get 4k more miles from the oci. Splitting hairs, I don't think it calculates that way at all.

@ ZeeOSix:
Thanks for your help and time! I think i have figured it out!

All Honda cars wordlwide, in Germany, and in Europe, beside the NSX and S2000, use the small filter.
I just have looked a few minutes randomly through the spare parts Catalouges:
https://www.ersatzteile-honda.de/ Civic, Integra, Acoord 2,2, Legend.. You Name it.. All have the small filter.

In contrast, when i search online the catlouges in the USA from Honda, Fram, Wix, Rockauto, it seems that on the US most Hondas uses the big Filter. Why? I dont know.

Meanhwille i guess that the only reason the S2000 has this sepcial filter is the printing on the filter with the specific S2000 instructions for install, adressing the much higher torque needed.

All the Europen Honda Filters are made by Purflux, together with MANN they recommend the smaller filter also for the S2000, so i will use it.

@ madeej11:

i try to solve a problem with cold-start wear for a engine that
- Nobody can overhaul,
- Is meanhwille almost impossible to buy used,
- and cost a fortune new, if you can get one.

My "Thinking about it - Splitting Hairs" in this case is well worth my time and part of my Hobby. I like to investigate things. And i am lerning something new, maybe.

In Contrast, i dont think one second about wich filter and size is the best for my 25 years old VW winter beater and my Kawasaki, i just buy one at the local parts store.....

:)

Last edited:
The smaller filter soleved the problem, the Oil Pressure light goes off in the moment when the engine starts. Even when the car was sitting for a week.
I am happy, no more unneccessary cold start wear.

MANN and PURFLUX both confirmed me that the smaller oil filter is also correct for the Honda S2000.

I thought you meant height wise. As for width wise I always get the same width or circumference you don’t want the circumference smaller that may make it not seal since it has the seal right there they won’t be the same size mounting up.

No, the seal diameter is allways the same. The bigger filter one is just.. bigger..

Blue: Honda "Big", USA. Black: Honda "Small", rest of the world.

Attachments

• P1030818(1).JPG
    P1030818(1).JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 21
  • P1050605(1).JPG
    P1050605(1).JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 21
Blue: Honda "Big". USA and S2000.
Black on the far right: MANN W610/6 Honda "Small", used on Hondas at the rest of the world.

Attachments

• P1030824(1).JPG
    P1030824(1).JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 32
Back