choices: Mightyvac 7400 or the Topsider ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to decide between these 2 extractors so i can start changing my own oil on the bimmer (E46)...

1. http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-Liter...=mightyvac+7400

2. http://www.amazon.com/LiquiVac-Liquivac-...ywords=topsider

oil capacity is 7 qts so both ok for capacity (i want one that can get all 7 qts out in one run...don't want to do a mid-suction oil dump as it can be messy...defeats the point of an extractor...)

the MV7400 price is top of budget...

They both have mixed reviews... is the Topsider better as it's metal? it looks very compact and sturdy...the MV is plastic and pretty bulky and seems to have more parts...(= more things to break?)

and the Topsider is $20 cheaper...

As far as reviews, both have some negative and positive reviews...seems to be even BUT mv has MORE reviews overall... a LOT more.

which one to get? Would be cool if i can decide by tonight...

I have both. Between the two, I'd pick the Topsider. Simpler, and the only small issue is making sure the rubber gaskets are sealing "just right" when you tighten the cap and pump into the can.

I have a MV7400 and use it successfully on some things. Can you reach the bottom of the sump through the dipstick hole without any obstacles (direction changes)? If so, it should work well. Maybe you should check a BMW forum for recommendations though. Can you change your filter from above?

I had Topsider about 12 years ago, it worked for 2-3 oil changes then the seal went bad. DON'T buy it if you want a tool to change oil and ATF and bleeding brake for your BMW.

I have Mityvac 7201 since 2004 and still working great today. My brother in-law borrowed it for several years to change oil in his BMW and MB, he loved it and decided to buy one for himself.

For only $14 more than 7400, 7201 is a much better tool than 7400. There are several reasons: larger capacity, dispenser option (so you can transfer old fluid into a recycle container without making a mess). The only thing you need to do is tighten the top screws once in a while.

PS Amazon Warehouse has couple "used" 7201, one at $65.83 with "Packaging may be damaged" and another one at $70 without any description. If I was you I would go with the $65.83 7201 with "Packaging may be damaged". Amazon warranties it works as normal, otherwise they will exchange for another one.

Last edited:
Why not a drain plug on the oil pan? You always leave some oil in the pan by pumping it out.

I have the MityVac 7201 to pump ATF from the transmission as the first phase of a cooler line flush. I like it, but its more $$.

I cannot get a sample tube down the dipstick tube of my Dodge Ram.

I will only use it for oil change.
The fact that drain removes more has been disputed a lot..

there was one post on a bimme forum where someone removed about 7-8 Oz of oil with a Mightyvac AFTER the other guy (pro-drain guy) had done a drain using pan drop.

But i see your concern - so I will make my shop do a conventional drain and fill every 5-6 times I use the suction method myself.

PETE: the pela 14 you have seems to be very solid, but dang it's $$$
frown.gif

wholesalemarine.com sells almost everything more than Amazon(if Amazon has it), the identical with Mityvac 7201 is selling at wholesalemarine.com for $161, almost twice the price of Amazon.
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/SIE-18-52204/

You like to have an extractor with capacity slightly more than what you need now, if the capacity of your BMW is 7 quarts, then you need 8-10 quart capacity so that it will be able to be used with newer car(s) with larger capacity than yours in the future.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
wholesalemarine.com sells almost everything more than Amazon(if Amazon has it),

Agreed. Unfortunately, the Pela 14K that I wanted wasn't available from anyone else for less. It is more expensive now than it was 2 years ago as well.

ok i am ruling out the MV 7400...

Now it's MV7201, Pella 650 (ONLY 6.8 qts will that be a problem i wonder, like HTSS suggested...), Topsider

hmmm....this happens every time...my pre-purchase research gets too involved and i become frustrated and end up not doing it at all...

BUT NOT THIS TIME -
smile.gif
i WILL buy an extractor this wk end !!!

(already have oil, filter, filter cap socket on the way...)

I don't have experience with Pela but I hear it is very good and reliable. The one you should avoid is Topsider, so the choice for you is either MV7201 or Pela.

If you can borrow either or both to try, then you will be able to make your buying decision easier and better.

I had bad experience with Topsider, my brother in-law borrowed it and he had similar complaint, that why I try to talk you out of it. I hate seeing others getting the same lousy tool.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I had bad experience with Topsider, my brother in-law borrowed it and he had similar complaint, that why I try to talk you out of it. I hate seeing others getting the same lousy tool.

Never had a problem with our Topsider. It's an old one (15-20 years), so maybe the new ones are different. But I don't think so. The two gaskets MUST be placed correctly to hold vacuum. Other than that, it's rock durable. Sorry that you had a bad experience.

http://www.airpoweramerica.com/TShelptips.pdf

^^^ This is a common phenomenon in ANY product I think - no matter what it is, I am sure there will always be several people who had bad experiences with it...

So in the end, whatever I choose, It will be taking a chance, as there's not a pump that has 5-star reviews only...if that was the case, there's no need to research like this.

So whichever pump I go with, i want ALL you guys to know that it's not because I believe certain person(s) over others - it's just because I have to choose SOMEthing to try. It just helps me a lot to hear what others have experienced, for which I am very thankful...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Based on my own experience, I would stay away from the 7400.

The same thing happened to me when I took my 7400 to O'Reillys for recycling. The clerk did not pull the cork when she tried to empty it and it soaked the top of the pump mechanism. I had to take it apart and clean it. It works like new again now.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
^^^ This is a common phenomenon in ANY product I think - no matter what it is, I am sure there will always be several people who had bad experiences with it...

So in the end, whatever I choose, It will be taking a chance, as there's not a pump that has 5-star reviews only...if that was the case, there's no need to research like this.

So whichever pump I go with, i want ALL you guys to know that it's not because I believe certain person(s) over others - it's just because I have to choose SOMEthing to try. It just helps me a lot to hear what others have experienced, for which I am very thankful...

Absolutely no hard feeling at all.

I agree that you asked for opinions and many of us had different experiences with any tool we had used before, we post our experiences so that you will be able to make up your own decision which one to buy. After all you spend your money the best you like.

Whichever fluid extractor you're going to buy I wish that particular model will serve you well and lasted many many years. You may think about using for oil change only as of now, you will find that it can do ATF and bleeding the brake very easy too.

One more think I like to mention is I like the dispersion feature of the MV7201, it transfer old fluid into a 2.5 gallons container for recycle without spill a drop on the ground.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Never had a problem with our Topsider. It's an old one (15-20 years), so maybe the new ones are different. But I don't think so. The two gaskets MUST be placed correctly to hold vacuum. Other than that, it's rock durable. Sorry that you had a bad experience.

http://www.airpoweramerica.com/TShelptips.pdf

The reason I bought Topsider back then was the positive reviews I read on internet at that time.

May be the one I got was defective, but it worked okay for few uses then kaboom.

Common feeling of most consumers is when we had bad experience with a particular brand and/or model we tend to stay away from it and telling others about that bad experience.

Update: went with the MV 2701 (Amazon warehouse deals, about $20 cheaper than reg. price.)

Hoping for the best, and I will tighten the screws on top on arrival
smile.gif

Thanks so much for ALL the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back