Ordered a 2019 X5 for the Wife

Status
Not open for further replies.
This new X5 looks really good. When I was buying used one few years back, I decided 2013 E70 over slightly used F15. I think F15 was big let down in driving dynamics.
I still need to check G05, but I saw one in dealership and checked interior and looks really good.
How is steering compared to F15 since you drove it back to back? I think my wife will eventually end up with G05 once Tiguan is out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
This new X5 looks really good. When I was buying used one few years back, I decided 2013 E70 over slightly used F15. I think F15 was big let down in driving dynamics.
I still need to check G05, but I saw one in dealership and checked interior and looks really good.
How is steering compared to F15 since you drove it back to back? I think my wife will eventually end up with G05 once Tiguan is out.

I didn't care for the steering of the F15 because I found it so touchy, constantly requiring correction on the highway although part of that may have been the RFTs. I can't say enough good things about nice the G05 was to drive and be in, I may amend that after living with it for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Originally Posted by gofast182
Originally Posted by edyvw

I didn't care for the steering of the F15 because I found it so touchy, constantly requiring correction on the highway although part of that may have been the RFTs. I can't say enough good things about nice the G05 was to drive and be in, I may amend that after living with it for more than 10 minutes at a time.

That is great news to hear! I need to try it definitely.
No, it is not RFT. F15 needed correction. I had several as loaners when they were doing some recalls on my X5, and were on different set of tires. I still believe that F15 did not go through LCI because they just figured they might as well built completely new vehicle to fix mistakes.
Good luck. Keep us posted about car.

Last edited:
Well our car's body was built last evening and it was painted, assembled, and fired up for the first time this morning! She's in final quality check now and once she clears that we're expecting an email from the Performance Center so we can go down to pick her up! Our dealer got a pre-schedule email from them last week and it looks like 2/22 is the earliest date due to high demand for Performance Center Delivery. Exciting!

Well our car's body was built last evening and it was painted, assembled, and fired up for the first time this morning! She's in final quality check now and once she clears that we're expecting an email from the Performance Center so we can go down to pick her up! Our dealer got a pre-schedule email from them last week and it looks like 2/22 is the earliest date due to high demand for Performance Center Delivery. Exciting!

Congrats. Exciting times !!

Enjoy! When I worked at BMW a huge selling point was the ability to get SUVs from SC built to order and delivered in 3 weeks or less.

Last Friday we picked the new baby up from the BMW Performance Center in Spartanburg. What an experience! We were treated wonderfully from the time we were picked up from the airport in a brand new X5 until we left for the journey home.

After arriving at the Marriott we asked to be driven to downtown Greenville (in the new X5). The downtown area was very nice with a lot of restaurants and small stores not to mention Falls Park. To our surprise the daffodils were up and a few trees were blooming. There's a lot of development going on there, which says good things about the economy both locally and nationally.

Back at the hotel we were given a special dinner menu for BMW guests which included an adult beverage, soup/salad, entree, and dessert. We were treated to a breakfast buffet the following morning.

In hindsight it occurred to me that BMW must have given the staff at the Marriott the same experience or at least taken them to the Performance Center for training on it. They new things about what was in store for us that they couldn't have otherwise known and were genuinely excited in a way that you can't fake. That was a nice touch on BMW's part to make sure no one in the process misses a beat and everyone is engaged.

When we arrived at the Performance Center it was raining which had us a bit bummed out; however, it turned out rain was actually a great condition to do the drills they had planned for us. Not only was it fun, the X5 is a seriously capable vehicle. We did ABS braking drills followed by a handling handling course where I was wheeling one *equipped with off road tires* through a wet slalom at speeds I did not think possible. We then took a 340i out on the skidpad to do drills with stability control. And I can't forget the off road course (also in the rain) with some very steep angles and obstacles with wheels off the ground.

The delivery experience was also quite good. The car was in a private room with windows on two sides and pointing out to a long driveway where you drive off into the distance for the first time. It was certainly more thorough than any dealer would provide. They made sure everything was set up and working. The prep of the car was good but not as meticulous as I would've expected. There was a ball point pen mark on our wood trim which they removed, there were some fine hairline scratches on the front and rear quarter panels (I didn't mention this because I'd rather fix them myself). Other than that the paint was flawless and had very little orange peel compared to my 340.

They provided us a very nice lunch where we got to sit with our instructor from earlier in the morning. He was a former racing driver in several pro series and now does stunt driving work in addition to his job at the Performance Center (the X5 commercials where the car is sliding around in its journey across America, that was him).

The factory tour was fascinating. The scale of the campus down there is staggering and the logistics they employ to keep that line running are amazing. I was happy with the tour but as someone who works for a company that designs and brings items to production, I would've loved a more nuts and bolts look.

There was a slight snafu getting into the Zentrum museum but we met up with an incredibly nice family, who also picked up their new car that morning, who got us in. We had the whole place to ourselves.

I can't say enough good things about this experience. If anyone is getting a X4, X4, X5, X6, or X7 (or even a car built in Germany you can have it delivered here) I highly recommend doing Performance Center Delivery.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If I end up ordering an M2C I'm definitely doing a Performance Center delivery. It's a great experience and facility.

They had a couple M2C's there among many other cars. They are equipped to provide the experience for any BMW you could be taking delivery of (giving you a car like yours to drive on the track).

They had a couple M2C's there among many other cars. They are equipped to provide the experience for any BMW you could be taking delivery of (giving you a car like yours to drive on the track).

I sent my son to the two day teen school and I've had a chance to play there during a couple of press intros as well as when I was trained as a BMW Genius. I can't recommend it highly enough.
And yes, the off road course is a hoot.

Congrats... My dentist drives one. I think it's his third or fourth, he's been happy with his.

(I fix his computers and he fixes my teeth for nothing additional over what my benefits cover, we are sort of family friends now because it has been 20 years. Been to his cottage and played with all the water toys. LOL)

Last edited:
Does he have the new G05 model?

I'm not sure... I'll ask next time I see him. The one he has now is 7 months old if that helps. I don't follow German vehicles that closely because they don't appeal to me.

Yeah if it's 7mo. old it's the old F15 model. IMHO the G05 is a significant step up as we drove both. On the bright side he probably got a phenomenal deal.

Yeah if it's 7mo. old it's the old F15 model. IMHO the G05 is a significant step up as we drove both. On the bright side he probably got a phenomenal deal.

I don't think he even negotiates he's that loaded.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC

I don't think he even negotiates he's that loaded.
grin2.gif

More power to him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back