Choice for V-Sport 3.6 Twin Turbo...oil change

unless I change my mind, I will be using Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and another AC Delco -R/Gold whatever they decide to call it this year filter...when I change the oil in the Spring...

I've noted no issues with using the Shell RGT on that last oil change but am now all out of my stash of that oil...

Thanks,

Bill
Got a six pack of the UPF63’s - they look like Mobil 1 filters all day long … (heavy like them too) …
Of course the PRV is set higher in the Albert Champion signature filter 😷
I might buy a single to see if they have changed …

I contacted Mobil over a year ago to ask why they no longer approved (at least from their wonky website recommendations) the Mobil 1 oil filter for my particular vehicle...they responded that they did not know why but would ask Mann+Hummel the maker of their filters and get back to me...they never did and my emails with the email exchange also went unanswered...

the recently looked at Mobil 1 filter at Walmart appeared to still have the orange-is silicone ADBV while the last AC Delco UPF-63R filter did not...I have been told on this site that the current AC Delco filters are still Champion Labs made but I don't know for sure...

I have a GM extended warranty and I prefer to stick with their recommendations when I can...

Bill

Delvac 0w40 CK-4/SN
Delvac 5w40 CK-4/SN
Motorcycle 10w40 SN

Of the above, the 0w40 looks the best imo. Back in the day, 0w40 Esso XD-3 was a big problem solver for me.

Have a look at the new 5w50 Supercar for the new corvette, Dexos R/SP

Filters have been discussed in the filter section, with the UPF63R being the winner. ??

Oops, wrong Cadillac thread.

Last edited:
interestingly to me anyway is that I see Mobil 1 M1-212A is again listed (at least by RockAuto.Com) as being a suitable filter while the AC Delco filters (neither the PF63 or the UPF-63R) are listed as a proper fit...RockAuto.Com still lists the UPF-63R for sale but does not list it for fit on the 2016 CTS V-Sport, ATS-V or the XTS V-Sport...

edited to add: I see ACD's website is now working for me and they still list the PF-63/UPF-63R as proper filters...I wonder why Rocka Auto has changed since they still sell both

Bill

unless I change my mind, I will be using Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and another AC Delco -R/Gold whatever they decide to call it this year filter...when I change the oil in the Spring...

I've noted no issues with using the Shell RGT on that last oil change but am now all out of my stash of that oil...

Thanks,

Bill
I've successfully used M1 0w-40 in my CTS Vsport since 2015. I autocross the car a few times a year...never a problem except for
heat soak, and the need for better brakes. I'll be trying HPL very soon. Keep the gear oil changed, and the control arms in good shape and enjoy the car. Trifecta has a great tune to add a few lbs to the boost, and firm up the shifts.

I've successfully used M1 0w-40 in my CTS Vsport since 2015. I autocross the car a few times a year...never a problem except for
heat soak, and the need for better brakes. I'll be trying HPL very soon. Keep the gear oil changed, and the control arms in good shape and enjoy the car. Trifecta has a great tune to add a few lbs to the boost, and firm up the shifts.
Yo bro, we're in the same boat. I'm on a Trifecta tuned 2014 with Swift springs, V3 front control arms, ZZP rear trailing arms, a BMR/bastardized rear cradle lockout kit, and 200TW Khumo Ecsta V730s on track wheels. It's a blast.

I run Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30 and, even after a pretty gnarly HPDE day with 120-140 minutes of 95+ degree heat, didn't change the oil for 5k miles afterward and UOA came back a-ok for continued use and recheck in 3,500. A little high on Boron but pretty good to go. I haven't seen anyone's tests with simliar usage but I think the oil held up well.

last oil change in 2023 I used 7 quarts of Mobil 1 Extended Performance and and an ACD PF63 (blue can) after reading many ATS-V (similar 3.6 twin turbo engines) use the PF63 without incident...no issues with mine so far...

Mobil 1 filter has been on and off the list for approved filter and the UPF-63 no longer has the orange silicon ADBV as previous so I went with the highly recommended by actual users blue can PF-63 this change

Bill

Back