Chipmunks - Damit.

Tried to "have a heart" and catch the colony of destructive chipmunks around my house. No success.

Will they eat rat poison?

So far they've killed 6 foundation shrubs and one well established climbing rose.

I'm done playing.

Open to suggestions...this side of guns and explosives.

5 Gallon Bucket

Fill 3/4 with water

Layer of floating sunflower seeds to cover the water

Wood ramp from ground to rim of bucket with additional seeds on ramp

**** FREE SWIMMING LESSONS! *****

Just google 5 gallon bucket chipmunk trap

They're hungry. Give them something to eat. Set up a birdseed feeder away from the house. They will go to that and leave your shrubs alone. You will feed birds as well.

Ammonia works well as a deterrent. Spray it on the soil around your plants. I used it to keep squirrels away from the car. It worked but you have to spray it every other day or so.

Cat is good but expect the cat to bring the remnants of any catch inside to show you.

Chipmunks are difficult, they are small, wary and never walk anywhere, they always seem to be running. I would not use poison because you will kill vultures, owls and hawks when they grab up the wobbly or dead critters. Rat traps might work but you run the risk of catching a skunk and not killing him, then what. You might try spraying your shrubs with hot pepper mixtures although I am surprised that chipmunks would be chewing on shrubbery. You may have a grub problem and that usually attracts moles that will cause all those raised bumps around the roots. If it is grubs use grubx to kill the grubs and the moles will leave.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BlastChamber
5 Gallon Bucket

Fill 3/4 with water

Had a neighbor use this method, was very successful

If you know where their nest is, wait till night and run an exhaust hose right into the nest. They actually sell exhaust hoses for this.

I have chipmunk problem this year too, but I haven't brought myself to do anything about it...getting close though.

How are they killing them (shrubs)? Building a den under them? We've had chipmonks for years but they never cause any harm besides arguably unsightly holes in the ground here and there. Moles on the other hand, digging tunnels, I've spent evenings just sitting out drinking beer on the lawn with a shovel in hand to catch those suckers and slice them in two. Usually I thrust the shovel a few times and if it comes out bloody, I leave them there buried in the ground.

Anyway, if you don't care about being humane, those peanut-butter scented large mouse sticky traps should work, or possibly a plain old, large, spring loaded mouse trap, given the right bait.

Last edited:
Will they eat rat poison? No. Or rather a qualified no. When I had the little demons digging under my front walk, I tried tossing in gopher peanuts. The little (self-censored) literally threw them out of the hole. Tried mothballs, and again, they were outside the hole the next morning. I remember finding some sort of rat poison online that one is supposed to mix into small baggies of peanut butter and toss that into the hole. The peanut butter is like crack to the rodents and they supposedly will ingest the poison that way but I never tried it because I didn't want them dying somewhere inaccessible and then dealing with the stink.

The only thing that worked consistently for me is the trusty rat-trap using peanut butter as bait. Only problem is that once the ants got wind of the peanut butter they cleaned out the trap until the ant-baits worked.

The 5-gallon bucket is also supposed to be very effective but I didn't try that due to too much maintenance in keeping it clean and too many kids in he neighborhood that I didn't want making a mess with the stuff.

Originally Posted by samven
... I would not use poison because you will kill vultures, owls and hawks when they grab up the wobbly or dead critters...

It frustrates me that so many people either don't understand or don't care about the collateral damage that poisons can cause.

Originally Posted by BlastChamber
5 Gallon Bucket

Fill 3/4 with water

+1

I don't mind chipmunks, but I would say try rat traps baited with peanut butter or something sweet.

I've been trying to catch a rat in my yard with spring traps for about six weeks now. All they've killed is two catbirds and a chipmunk. The chipmunk hit on a piece of gummy bear.

Originally Posted by fsdork
Originally Posted by samven
... I would not use poison because you will kill vultures, owls and hawks when they grab up the wobbly or dead critters...

It frustrates me that so many people either don't understand or don't care about the collateral damage that poisons can cause.

I hear that.
And outside cats really are an environmental disaster also.

We had a problem with chipmunks and mice until a stray cat adopted us. It's an outside only cat.

The cat cleaned them out quickly, along with the mice.

We live in rattlesnake country, hoping the lack of rodents will also reduce the number snakes.

Last edited:
I own a Chipmunk trainer so be kind to the little devils...

I've trapped 87 skunks 15 possums 2 gray squirrels and someones cat in Uncle Chan's trap off Amazon... it might work for Chipmunks so they can be relocated alive...

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Last edited:
Back