Chevy Malibu owners with the 1.5T (LFV). Question...

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Any advice on octane and motor oil viscosity to use?

I haven't an issue running what's stated in the manual(see below)unless there's known issues doing so...

87 octane
0w20 syn

That will be fine. It's very important to check the oil on a regular basis as they burn oil.

You don't see as many complaints with the later 1.5Ts as you did the earlier GM 4cyl turbos. These engines are everywhere given the amount of Equinox/Terrains, etc with them. I'd probably run 5w30 in it myself, but it will probably do just as fine on 0w20.

I have a 20 Equinox 1.5T and have tested Pennzoil, RP and Valvoline EP all on 0w20 grade all in 6000 mile range and all came back fine with BS suggest go to 8000 miles or down to 5%. I really think you can use either 20 or 30 grade. EU engines until I believe a yr or 2 ago were 30 grade.

I have an early (2008) LNF 2.0T and use Mobil1 5w30 EP. From what little research I’ve done, it’s said to help with the LSPI the small turbo DI engines are prone to have.

Any advice on octane and motor oil viscosity to use?
I haven't an issue running what's stated in the manual(see below)unless there's known issues doing so...
87 octane
0w20 syn

'22 Hyundai Palisade 3.8L (EDGE 5/40, FRAM Ultra filter)
'24 Malibu LS 1.5T (Factory fill)

Did Kellogs put something mind-changing in your Cheerios last week?
Seems really odd / out-of-the-norm for you to have a Chevy in your Signature.
Enjoy your new ride immensely and be-not tempted to pour 0w8 in it. :)

Last edited:
I would run 89 in that tiny engine turbo combo to get the best performance, my daughters 2020Kia Soul runs great with 89 , luckily all my vehicles run 5w30 except for my daughters Jeep wrangler which calls for 0w20,once the warranty runs out I'll be switching over to 5w30.

Back