Chevy Colorado - Reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Consumer Reports found that headlights on virtually all new pickup trucks are either poor or moderate at beam pattern and spread. Honda Ridgeline was only model they praised for headlights but is it a real truck as most of us think of trucks?... good question.

P.S. CR even slammed the factory LED headlights of virtually all models except Ridgeline.

Take away from this: Test drive trucks at night (?)

The halogen beams on my new F-150 are "ok" but not terribly impressive...

Does CR aim them properly then do their testing, or are they testing as is from the factory? Aim won't necessarily help beam pattern or spread, unless they're pointed at the moon or straight into the ground.

I like mine. No issue's as of yet with a whopping 14,700 miles on it. The local GM dealer here is a bit hard to like at times, so there is always that to consider with a new vehicle purchase. That said, thinking really hard about a new Tacoma next year.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Consumer Reports found that headlights on virtually all new pickup trucks are either poor or moderate at beam pattern and spread.
IIHS found the same on most sedans not too long ago. It seems manufacturers have started focusing on making the headlights look cool and pedestrian friendly while letting functionality go out the window.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Does CR aim them properly then do their testing, or are they testing as is from the factory? Aim won't necessarily help beam pattern or spread, unless they're pointed at the moon or straight into the ground.
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Consumer reports is full of it.

Headlights are better now than they have ever been.

IIHS is also including headlamp testing as part of their safety evaluation. So far, their testing mirrors Consumer Reports: Most headlights aren't good. Not just in trucks; A majority of vehicles don't rate higher than marginal.

Does that mean IIHS is also full of it or is it just that anyone who disagrees with your totally scientific (I'm sure) opinion is full of it?

"Better than they have ever been" and "Good" are not the same thing.

IIHS rated the halogen lamps on a new F150 poor, citing inadequate lighting both straight ahead and in curves.

Don't despair though: The optional LED headlamps on the F150 also rated poor. Lighting straight ahead was good to fair, lighting on curves was inadequate, and the low beams created excessive glare for other motorists.

Double don't despair: With the exception of the optional LED headlamp on the Ridgeline (the base system was rated poor), no pickup truck headlight rated better than marginal overall.

Originally Posted by jhs914

The one earlier mention of a bent frame on a Colorado has been discussed on the forums and the conclusion is the owner was abusing the truck while towing a trailer at excessive speeds offroad.

Yeah he bent the off road trailer's axle pretty good too...was not just a bump in the road.

It is a fun Google search for the entertainment though, and you will also find the video of the new Tacoma with it's rear axle breaking off during a botched recovery on what looks like a pretty mild trail.

It amazes me what people attempt with new vehicles that are not built like a Baja 1000 truck even if they try to look the part.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Consumer reports is full of it.

Headlights are better now than they have ever been.

IIHS is also including headlamp testing as part of their safety evaluation. So far, their testing mirrors Consumer Reports: Most headlights aren't good. Not just in trucks; A majority of vehicles don't rate higher than marginal.

Does that mean IIHS is also full of it or is it just that anyone who disagrees with your totally scientific (I'm sure) opinion is full of it?

"Better than they have ever been" and "Good" are not the same thing.

IIHS rated the halogen lamps on a new F150 poor, citing inadequate lighting both straight ahead and in curves.

Don't despair though: The optional LED headlamps on the F150 also rated poor. Lighting straight ahead was good to fair, lighting on curves was inadequate, and the low beams created excessive glare for other motorists.

Double don't despair: With the exception of the optional LED headlamp on the Ridgeline (the base system was rated poor), no pickup truck headlight rated better than marginal overall.

I didn't say CR was full of it, all I wanted to know was if they're testing them like IIHS does or not. IIHS tests them as is from the factory, they do not aim them. If they're pointed straight into the ground, that can adversely affect how they perform in curves.

Edit - you also misquoted, I didn't say anything about an F150.

Last edited:
I'll be test driving a Z71 today. How common is this transmission issue?

You should do yourself a favor and join https://www.coloradofans.com/ before you even think about buying a Colorado.

I looked at buying the GMC Canyon very closely for a few months while I did research on the Canyon/Colorado and their 8-speed transmission problems. The web is littered with information about this transmission (including a class-action lawsuit) and yet all of the service Managers *I* talked to (3 different service managers at 3 different Dealerships in my area) before buying said, "Gee...that's news to ME...I'VE never heard about problems with the transmissions"..., blah, blah, blah. Needless to say, I did not buy a Canyon!

Also, you should find out which transmission repair shops in your area are highly regarded and go ask THEM for their input. I stopped by a well respected shop near me and the mechanics said they have *heard* of the problems, but had not yet seen any for repair because they're likely all still under the factory warranty.

Ed

Thanks Ed I was on there this morning and noticed that. They are saying 20% or so have this shudder issue. It's not a failure but it's a problem and one that GM can't seem to fix.

Originally Posted by buster
Thanks Ed I was on there this morning and noticed that. They are saying 20% or so have this shudder issue. It's not a failure but it's a problem and one that GM can't seem to fix.

Yes, I think you're correct. *I* think, and others do as well, at the risk of being cynical, that GM is simply appeasing owners until their trucks are out of warranty and no longer their problem to deal with.

When you have a few minutes, read the posts on this internet forum written by "OldChevyNut" - https://bit.ly/2KWDYPk . He has some scathing comments about the automatic transmission, and he sounds like he knows what he's talking about, and the fact that there is currently a class-action lawsuit regarding the GM 8L90 and 8L45 Transmission Problems were too much for *me* to ignore. - https://bit.ly/2VelttR

Ed

Last edited:
Great information Ed, thank you. Wow that's a shame bc otherwise it's a nice truck.

I guess that leaves me hesitant of buying GM.

Originally Posted by buster
Great information Ed, thank you. Wow that's a shame bc otherwise it's a nice truck.

I guess that leaves me hesitant of buying GM.

I agree. When the Salespeople that I had made contact with followed up with me, I told them the same thing. I said I really do like the GMC Canyon, it's a beautiful truck,, but I can't afford to take a 30K+ gamble that *I* won't have any long term transmission problems.

Ed

That shudder is fixed by a repetitive flush with a new fluid. Apparently the fluid they were using was susceptible to absorbing moisture from humidity. I'm not aware of anyone on ColoradoFans whose shudder has not been fixed by the flush. I've also read, anectdotally, that it isn't just GM having the problem. Also anectdotal, I was told recently by a GM shop foreman that GM is (will be?) paying for ATF changes out to a hundred thousand miles for the eight speed.

Originally Posted by TooManyWheels
That shudder is fixed by a repetitive flush with a new fluid. Apparently the fluid they were using was susceptible to absorbing moisture from humidity. I'm not aware of anyone on ColoradoFans whose shudder has not been fixed by the flush. I've also read, anectdotally, that it isn't just GM having the problem. Also anectdotal, I was told recently by a GM shop foreman that GM is (will be?) paying for ATF changes out to a hundred thousand miles for the eight speed.

" I'm not aware of anyone on ColoradoFans whose shudder has not been fixed by the flush."...

Keep reading some of the forum posts. There's a LOT of people that the "flush" didn't do squat despite the Dealers (or the TSB bulletins) saying it's just a moisture problem.

Ed

Originally Posted by TooManyWheels

That's not what I'm reading from customers that have had the flush done on the forums Ed mentioned. One of the guys was a process engineer too. From what I am reading GM has no true fix for this issue.

I have a good friend that is Shop Forman at a GMC/Chevrolet dealer. He was telling me the other day that the flush fixes most of them...

I think you are always going to get the complainers on forums, and I'm not saying that their complaints are invalid, but it is not necessarily an accurate representation of the entire population.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Diesel uses the old 6 speed if you have any interest in a diesel and are scared of the 8 speed... TFL Truck tested both in their IKE Gauntlet towing test if you are interested. (They did the Tacoma and the Ranger too...)

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I have a good friend that is Shop Forman at a GMC/Chevrolet dealer. He was telling me the other day that the flush fixes most of them...

I think you are always going to get the complainers on forums, and I'm not saying that their complaints are invalid, but it is not necessarily an accurate representation of the entire population.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Diesel uses the old 6 speed if you have any interest in a diesel and are scared of the 8 speed... TFL Truck tested both in their IKE Gauntlet towing test if you are interested. (They did the Tacoma and the Ranger too...)

Buster,

Test drive the Diesel version of the Colorado/Canyon.

I have a 2016 Diesel version of the Colorado (rear wheel drive). Only has 16,000 on it with the 6 speed transmission. I have seen NONE of the transmission vices that I am reading about with the 8 speed transmission. I've seen fuel mileage on the highway averaging from 30 - 34 mpg. With that kind of fuel mileage, who needs the extra 2 gears. Can tow up to 7500 lbs. to boot! It has not seen the dealer other than for oil changes.

I

Like the other guy said, the 2.8 Duramax is the best thing about the Canyon/Colorado. This drivetrain is what you want. A 2wd CCLB with a Shell is good for 30+ MPGs and is rated to tow 7700 lbs.

The Canyon is a nicer truck and has a better interior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back