Chevy Colorado - Reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the look of the Colorado/Canyon. How is the reliability track record for this truck, in particular the V6 engine? I know it won't have Toyota's legendary resale value, but if it's a pretty solid powertrain I'd consider it. 90% of all the reviews I've read on the Taco completely trash the transmission and it's constant shifting patterns.

I don't get the low hanging front air dam on a truck.

It's all about fuel economy. Most of them won't go offroad.

Google "Chevy Colorado bent frame". My coworker has one about a year old and loves it. He has the V6.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The transmission in some models is the real concern.

Good to know.

Originally Posted by buster

Good to know.

I think that the transmission in just about every vehicle seems to be of concern these days. Be it the regular/shiftable automatic, DCT/DSG or CVT. Maintenance and maybe some extra warranty that covers the important stuff is a good idea?!?!

In the year I had my 17 Canyon it was in the shop for 3 mos. Transmission problems and it was like pulling teeth to get them to replace it. Even after replacing it..it went out. Drove it straight across the street and traded it on my current Frontier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby

Good to know.

I think that the transmission in just about every vehicle seems to be of concern these days. Be it the regular/shiftable automatic, DCT/DSG or CVT. Maintenance and maybe some extra warranty that covers the important stuff is a good idea?!?!

A lot of transmissions do have some issues, unless it is ZF8. But, since ZF8 is German transmission, on BITOG it cannot be reliable, although in universe in which Earth is located, it is best transmission available.

I have a 2017 Canyon V6, 2WD, 8 speed auto. The only problem I have had in 43,000 miles was the problem mentioned with the transmission. It developed a rumble strip/fish bite type shudder under light throttle in high gear. After two different technical service bulletins trying to fix it GM came up with a new Mobil 1 ATF flush back in February of this year. That fixed my torque converter shudder and from reports on the forum for these trucks it seems to have solved the problem. Reportedly GM did not start installing the new ATF on the assembly line until recently so if you are buying a new truck do some research on the build date for the switch over.

If you buy a truck with the 8 speed and it develops the shudder take it in immediately. All GM dealers are aware of the problem and have been issued a special ATF flush machine and specific procedures to follow. The problem has affected all GM 8 speeds, from Corvettes, to Camaros, to full size trucks.

The 3.6 V6 was redesigned in 2017. The two most significant changes are a simplified timing chain design which should address the problem of timing chain failures on the early 3.6 V6's and there is a built in catch can type device to prevent PCV fumes from accumulating on the exhaust valves in this direct injection engine.

The 2015/16 trucks have the older 3.6 design and a six speed transmission that has had problems, but these have been solved with new computer programming through the dealer.

The one earlier mention of a bent frame on a Colorado has been discussed on the forums and the conclusion is the owner was abusing the truck while towing a trailer at excessive speeds offroad.

With the transmission shudder solved I now love the truck. The transmission is not perfect because GM programs it to hold high gear too long instead of downshifting under light load but dropping it into Sport mode immediately drops 2 gears. A Pedal Commander or tuning can solve that problem.

Originally Posted by edyvw
A lot of transmissions do have some issues, unless it is ZF8. But, since ZF8 is German transmission, on BITOG it cannot be reliable, although in universe in which Earth is located, it is best transmission available.

Not sure where you are getting that info from, maybe there's another Bob's place, but on this one the ZF8 seems pretty well liked--the only knock I've seen against it is its fluid requirement, and that auto makers are insisting it's filled for life (which seems to have recently be negated by ZF themselves).

"Chevrolet Colorado sales were the only ones to decrease in the midsize mainstream pickup truck segment during the second quarter of 2019."

"The Tacoma sold more than twice as many units than the Colorado. In fact, the Tacoma's 63,683 deliveries were higher than combined Colorado and Canyon sales, which netted 43,578 combined units, for a 30 percent segment share."...

Jul 29, 2019 - Chevrolet Colorado Sales Down 23 Percent In Q2 2019 - https://bit.ly/3318ufZ

Ed

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Consumer Reports found that headlights on virtually all new pickup trucks are either poor or moderate at beam pattern and spread. Honda Ridgeline was only model they praised for headlights but is it a real truck as most of us think of trucks?... good question.

P.S. CR even slammed the factory LED headlights of virtually all models except Ridgeline.

Take away from this: Test drive trucks at night (?)

The halogen beams on my new F-150 are "ok" but not terribly impressive...

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by edyvw

Not sure where you are getting that info from, maybe there's another Bob's place, but on this one the ZF8 seems pretty well liked--the only knock I've seen against it is its fluid requirement, and that auto makers are insisting it's filled for life (which seems to have recently be negated by ZF themselves).

I was not recently negated by ZF, ZF always insisted that fluid has to be replaced 60-75k miles, regardless whether that was ZF5, 6 or 8. All those transmissions are filled with "lifetime" fluid according to most manufacturers.
Yes, ZF8 is liked among some members (those who own one or had extensive experience with), but per most BITOG members who never own anything ZF or related, it is matter of the day before they disintegrate, with rest of the vehicle.

I'll be test driving one tomorrow. It can't be any worse than the Tacoma....very disappointed in the drivability.

I'll be test driving one tomorrow. It can't be any worse than the Tacoma....very disappointed in the drivability.

Interesting. What was up with it, shifting of the transmission?

There are several very happy ex-Tacoma owners on the Colorado/Canyon forum. I'm one of them. If you aren't expecting it to be a Jeep substitute, it is a great truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger

Interesting. What was up with it, shifting of the transmission?

I only spent 10 minutes, at most, with it but yes the shifting was erratic and it was hunting for gears too much. It was brand new, so I don't know if that had something to do with it or not. It felt well built though.

I agree with this statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back