Chevy Colorado, am I missing something?

I've had the Colorado as a rental, super comfortable, great driving truck. I've also had the Tacoma, I refuse to rent another. The Tacoma and 4Runner are absolutely terrible to drive and horribly uncomfortable.

I put 600 miles in a rental 2023 Tacoma several weeks ago. I had no idea that they were such a joke. The V6 engine uses as much gas as a full sized truck, and the transmission behaves like something out of the 1980's. The driver's seating position is uncomfortable for tall folks. The sound quality of the stereo was worse than what came from the factory in my 2004 Silverado, and the climate control display is tiny and is awkwardly placed low on the dash.

I was able to spend an hour driving a dealer's 2023 Colorado and liked it. Almost a certainty that GM used the current Tacoma as a one of their benchmarks, and vastly improved on everything that Toyota has wrong with the Tacoma. Two things that are odd about the 2023 Colorado is that cruise control is NOT standard equipment, and it doesn't have a mechanical switch for the headlights.

The problem is, Wentzville MO was the first plant that the UAW striked against GM, so the supply of Colorados/Canyons out there has been largely decimated. None of the dealers in this area have received any for weeks. Production of 2024 models is rumored to start mid-December. Selection of new units in the near future will be tough. The largest Chevy dealer in Illinois (Phillips) only has 6 - 2023's on the lot.

The 2023's had three engine selections, the 2024 will only have two. A mid-level engine option has been dropped. There will also be other minor changes for 2024, one is with the instrument cluster (larger).

Last edited:
Tacoma resale rates are insane - even before the crazy pricing. 10 year tacoma's still like 1/2 of new. If you don't care, buy what you want.

I agree, the current Tacoma is a dog. Of course they always have been. Thats why they last, not enough power to hurt themselves.

The best drivetrain is still in the Frontier. There made in the USA - Mississippi specifically. US content is close to 80% IIRC. Of course I am biased.

22 Colorado has been great so far coming up on 2 years. Only issue I have had was I had the 4wd actuator replaced. The biggest issue with the 2nd Gen Colorado is the 8-speed shudder issue, which has mostly been resolved (not entirely). The LGX V6 is very reliable.

Nissan Frontier has a nice powertrain.

If you want a Tacoma, its all new for 2024. I would think dealers should begin receiving inventory soon.

It sounds like Colorado inventory is low now, so maybe in January you can drive both and compare.

I've been following this 8-speed unit issue for quite a while. Really bizarre actually. Some never have the problem, some are back at the dealer multiple times. It's the one thing that keeps me on the fence long term with this truck. Otherwise it's very reliable. LGX 3.6L is a good engine.

I'd be pissed if I had to keep taking it to the dealer.

Truck below is a 2021 too. But I think in this case, it probably was the camshaft relearn because the new fluid prevents this issue from happening.

1701548522860.jpg

I put 600 miles in a rental 2023 Tacoma several weeks ago. I had no idea that they were such a joke. The V6 engine uses as much gas as a full sized truck, and the transmission behaves like something out of the 1980's. The driver's seating position is uncomfortable for tall folks. The sound quality of the stereo was worse than what came from the factory in my 2004 Silverado, and the climate control display is tiny and is awkwardly placed low on the dash.

I was able to spend an hour driving a dealer's 2023 Colorado and liked it. Almost a certainty that GM used the current Tacoma as a one of their benchmarks, and vastly improved on everything that Toyota has wrong with the Tacoma. Two things that are odd about the 2023 Colorado is that cruise control is NOT standard equipment, and it doesn't have a mechanical switch for the headlights.

The problem is, Wentzville MO was the first plant that the UAW striked against GM, so the supply of Colorados/Canyons out there has been largely decimated. None of the dealers in this area have received any for weeks. Production of 2024 models is rumored to start mid-December. Selection of new units in the near future will be tough. The largest Chevy dealer in Illinois (Phillips) only has 6 - 2023's on the lot.

The 2023's had three engine selections, the 2024 will only have two. A mid-level engine option has been dropped. There will also be other minor changes for 2024, one is with the instrument cluster (larger).

I miss the briefly offered v8 option and unfortunately the manual transmission option only came in RWD. It's like they did it on purpose to say see nobody wants a manual.

I really wanted a Tacoma, like everything except the typical, steering feel-uncomfortable seats.....
The Colorado rides much nicer, priced comparatively. Thoughts?
I think all of GMs light trucks 1500 and under ride very nicely. I've used some Colorados in our work fleet. The ride is great and they drive great. I don't like the high bed height. The new basic silverado 1500s with the turbo 4cyl we have are super comfy too.

As an owner of a 2022 Nissan Frontier crew cab, short wheel base 4x4, I would not overlook this vehicle if you are shopping "small" trucks. Bed height is perfect. It rides like a truck (stiff and jarring), but drives and handles excellent.

Say what you want about Tacoma and 4Runners. That drive train will last 20+ years/300,000 miles without skipping a beat. Everyone knows it. The other stuff is fluff. Toyota is all about reducing risk in exposure to failing systems. Reliability. Thus, their technology is ancient.... because it is tried and true.

I wish they had kept the 3.5L I5. That was a good engine. Power of a 6 but the fuel economy of a 4.
You got it backwards - power of a 4 with mpgs of a 6. My dad bought a new 2005 Canyon with that motor (he passed by my mom still has it) and that was all he said...and that he should have never traded his '97 4.3 Sonoma. Totally gutless and thirsty that I5 was.

The cartridge style filter on the newer 3.6 is a huge PITA and I hate the way it feels driving one, larger truck that I just feel cramped in for some reason.

You got it backwards - power of a 4 with mpgs of a 6. My dad bought a new 2005 Canyon with that motor (he passed by my mom still has it) and that was all he said...and that he should have never traded his '97 4.3 Sonoma. Totally gutless and thirsty that I5 was.
My experience was exactly the opposite. Mine was a manual, maybe that made a difference.

Back