Chevy Astro Van

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I disagree... Try changing an alternator on one of these "Pigs" it's a real PITA and you need access from under the hood and inside the vehicle and it's a 2 hour job!!!! On my dads van it's a 15 minute job.

And what kind of hogwash is "The design requires it, all vans are like this"

My dads '94 Caravan isn't like this, my 85 wasn't like this,

It's only newer vehicles which the domestic (and some "foreign") manufacturers put out which seem to be made into "Make work projects" to make the dealerships money IMO.

Back in the day it wasn't a 6 hour job to do spark plugs but with the advancement in technology it is somehow now?

I don't buy it...
smirk2.gif

And for the record, My Hyundai is a PITA to do spark plugs on and you have to remove the Plenium/Intake etc. But at least you can easily get to it without having to be a monkey and have 5 arms like on Domestic vehicles.

It took us 6.5 hours to do spark plugs on the Ford Windstar van we were given because you have to take off the plastic part near the wipers under the windsheild to access the back of the engine. ??? Gimme a break!
21.gif

Same old Stevie...
LOL.gif
By the way - you can't compare a "real" van (meaning full frame truck tough) to those car vans. Of course they will be easier to work on. But it DOES NOT take 2 hours to change an alternator on an Astro and they are not "pigs". They served a certain purpose in life and did it well.

And what I meant by the design requires it was easy to understand (sure everybody else got it). The stye of a true van always had some misgivings on maintenance - you can't stretch out the front like a car. That's just a van. Well, GM did try that with the dustbuster era minivans - but they were ugly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I disagree... Try changing an alternator on one of these "Pigs" it's a real PITA and you need access from under the hood and inside the vehicle and it's a 2 hour job!!!! On my dads van it's a 15 minute job.

It's only newer vehicles which the domestic (and some "foreign") manufacturers put out which seem to be made into "Make work projects" to make the dealerships money IMO.

Back in the day it wasn't a 6 hour job to do spark plugs but with the advancement in technology it is somehow now?

I don't buy it...
smirk2.gif

And for the record, My Hyundai is a PITA to do spark plugs on and you have to remove the Plenium/Intake etc. But at least you can easily get to it without having to be a monkey and have 5 arms like on Domestic vehicles.

It took us 6.5 hours to do spark plugs on the Ford Windstar van we were given because you have to take off the plastic part near the wipers under the windsheild to access the back of the engine. ??? Gimme a break!
21.gif

Same old Stevie...
LOL.gif
By the way - you can't compare a "real" van (meaning full frame truck tough) to those car vans. Of course they will be easier to work on. But it DOES NOT take 2 hours to change an alternator on an Astro and they are not "pigs". They served a certain purpose in life and did it well.

And what I meant by the design requires it was easy to understand (sure everybody else got it). The stye of a true van always had some misgivings on maintenance - you can't stretch out the front like a car. That's just a van. Well, GM did try that with the dustbuster era minivans - but they were ugly.

You GM fans... I don't get your breed. It's like you are in a cult or something and have to defend the brand, it's stupid products and designs. Even at the hour of bankruptcy driven by their poor designs and quality you still stick up for them.

Guess it is the same old with me...
smirk2.gif

When My Santa Fe is done I want to buy a GM product if they are still around and get a "Real" van that is hard to work on poorly designed and is bad on gas because it will serve the real purpose of parting me with my money and sanity because I have nothing better to do than spend 2 hours changing an alternator and like poor gas mileage.

Gimme a break!
grin2.gif

Stevie - your warped. When people lose jobs they also stop eating out so you're job is next.

Stevie - your warped. When people lose jobs they also stop eating out so you're job is next.

Stevie's not worried. If he loses his job, it'll mean he has more time to post whore at BITOG. I mean, it's not like he'd be out wasting time doing something productive, like detailing his precious Hyundai or anything.

I don't buy it...
smirk2.gif

21.gif

Same old Stevie...
LOL.gif

You GM fans... I don't get your breed. It's like you are in a cult or something and have to defend the brand, it's stupid products and designs. Even at the hour of bankruptcy driven by their poor designs and quality you still stick up for them.

Guess it is the same old with me...
smirk2.gif

When My Santa Fe is done I want to buy a GM product if they are still around and get a "Real" van that is hard to work on poorly designed and is bad on gas because it will serve the real purpose of parting me with my money and sanity because I have nothing better to do than spend 2 hours changing an alternator and like poor gas mileage.

Gimme a break!
grin2.gif

wave your flag for hyundai all you want, but the astro/safari was a great work van, bulletproof drivetrain, and (mostly) easy to work on.
ALL 'real' vans have a doghouse engine cover; if you want to design a cargo/work van, you maximize storage capability at the expense of engine access. the only thing hard to get to are the plugs. oil changes are a breeze. I did a starter in mine in 15 minutes.
back on topic, I bought a safari because it served my purposes, not too small, not a full size, and from the amount of them I saw in service. cable guys love them.
btw, it's not a full frame truck, it's got a subframe. I know, I've been under them.
fwiw, I got an easy 18mpg commuting; not great, but not bad.

Yeah because there aren't other Manufacturers building cars right here in North America. Funny how all jobs are only connected to the BIG-3 and not the other makers.

The reason why everyone is slowing down in the Auto industry is because we have reached a saturation point at the same time disposable income is at its lowest levels ever. Most people are driving cars with payments already and those who aren't can't afford to.

But yeah I should drive a GM so I can keep my restaurant job because when people in the auto industry are unemployed they will stop eating and the whole economy will come to a screeching halt.

Your way of thinking is almost as poor as the quality of the products rolling off the line at GM which you keep defending.

smirk2.gif

No Stevie - your way of thinking is off. The big 3 are not the only picture - it's a trickle effect. 1 in 6 folks are connnected to the auto industry and when the big 3 go so they go too. We're talking everyone from suppliers to the local mom and pop taverns and stores. The big 3 support more workers than the foriegn makers, by the way. And stop lumping me into the GM only crowd. I like other cars too - just none Japanese or Korean. Heck I own 2 Jeeps and the wife drove an E350 before being replaced by the new CTS - which is hands down a better car. I know what great cars/trucks GM makes as well as what junk they have - I admitted to that several times here. I am open minded unlike most foreign lovers on here. I still respect you, Stevie - but you can be warped at times.

No Stevie - your way of thinking is off. The big 3 are not the only picture - it's a trickle effect. 1 in 6 folks are connnected to the auto industry and when the big 3 go so they go too. We're talking everyone from suppliers to the local mom and pop taverns and stores. The big 3 support more workers than the foriegn makers, by the way. And stop lumping me into the GM only crowd. I like other cars too - just none Japanese or Korean. Heck I own 2 Jeeps and the wife drove an E350 before being replaced by the new CTS - which is hands down a better car. I know what great cars/trucks GM makes as well as what junk they have - I admitted to that several times here. I am open minded unlike most foreign lovers on here. I still respect you, Stevie - but you can be warped at times.

Lets agree to disagree... Because we are ruining this thread, and you are sounding more like a CAW representative.

I have said many times before I would buy "domestic" products if they were what I wanted at a price I wanted and were as reliable (in my opinion and view) as other makes.

cheers3.gif
Lets leave it at that.

I am not a CAW rep (don't live in Canada) nor a UAW rep. I am a salary manager.

Yeah let's leave it at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back