Chevy 2500 or Ford F250?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither. Go with a International MXT.
smile.gif
I want one!!!

MXT_MPV_pop.jpg

http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/militarybusiness/Intl_MXT_MV.asp

I just got a 2006 demo YukonXL Denali for a steal. If you look around you might find a 2500 Suburban out there as well because there were a few when I was looking. I have had 3 GMT 1500's a 99, 02 and now 06. The 2500's are very good and the 6.0L engine will tow what you want with not too many issues. I have had the 5.7, 5.3 and now 6.0L. Never an issue. My brother has 2 Suburbans with over 150k on the clock and they run fine. One note: If you service the GM drivetrain at 5000 miles it will last much longer.

Quote:

Thank you all for all the info. Dave I don't mind you asking at all. I don't have a boat yet. I would like to get a boat that can be put into salt and fresh water conditions to some fishing, nothing extreme, nothing that would be hard for either to tow. In fact I know the chevy 1500 with the 5.3 would be able to tow any kind of boat that I would get. The Solid front axle in the Ford is the main reason I even consider the Ford at this point. I have driven the Chevy 1500HD with the 6.0 and I absolutely loved the way it drove. I enjoyed the way it drove more than any other vehicle that I have driven. I have not driven the Fords however and I don't expect it to drive as nice since it is a SFA however I will probably be doing some minor off roading in this truck ( should have mentioned that in the first post, I apologize ) and I would like to put a leveling kit on the Chevy if thats what I end up with. I would consider the Dodge but I just really do not like the interior in them. Lordabbett, what is the driving experience like with the 8.1 vs the v10, does the power come on fast and rev fast like the small block 6.0 or is it slow revving and all TQ? Same question with the v10 if you don't mind me asking? Thanks again to everyone and please keep em coming.

There's not alot of diff in throttle response between the 6.8 and 8.1. At least as far as I can tell. The 8.1 also has the drive by wire throttle plates but it has the ZF 6 speed maunual so it will feel different than the 6.8 V10
On either just putting around town/highway you need to use very little pedal.
Steering feel is very good on the Chevy. Buy the truck you want and don't let others tell you what you need. The only real good advice would be if you are going to putting alot of miles per year then the diesels start to look good.
And you may have trouble finding a 8.1 or 6.8 to test drive. I just took a leap of faith and ordered both of mine
wink.gif

You'll probably be happy with either.

Just make sure you test drive them both thoroughly, on and offroad in 4hi and 4lo.

you never know, you may just like the feel of one over the other, whatever feel that is, is up to you, i like a little more rugged ride in a truck but thats just me.

I know someone with a 2004 F-250 4WD with the 5.4 automatic transmission (supercab w/short bed)and it hasn't been in the shop at all. Gets #@$%! mileage as expected (around 13-14) but can tow a heayy steel horse trailer easily.

I have a 2004 F-250 with the 5.4, 3.73 gears and get 12.7 unloaded according to the trip meter. Pulling our travel trailer or our boat, the meter says it gets 12.5 mpg. Both weigh close to 5,000 lbs. when loaded, easy. I had 5 of the Ford diesels in the past but, due to the extra cost and the reliability issues of the 6.0, I passed. I found it nice not having the extra cost of maintaining the diesel and I do not miss the noise. However, I DO miss the pulling power.
If I could order exactly what I wanted in a truck today, I would have the F-250 body, frame, and running gear, the 6 speed Allison transmission, and the Cummins 24V HO engine.

Buy yourself a 2500hd Duramax with the allison transmission. Significantly better than ford. The torque shift doesn't compare...that's why they put allisons in tanks...same design !

Buy chevrolet.....

edmunds.com has an excellent article and comparison of the big three HD pick-ups on their website. It is excellent because they did real world testing with some pretty extreme towing conditions. Just search for heavy duty pick-up comparison on their site, or google it. It is well worth the read.

I've always heard ford trucks are built for the abuse. I drive past a lot of construction sites and all you see is ford pickups it seems like.
I've owned a ranger with the 4.0 that was real realiable.

Tonymazz I would love to have the diesel but I am looking at spending in the low 20K's. The only diesels that I could afford or either stripped work trucks or they have over 100K miles on them. I want a newer vehicle. Thanks again to everyone. I have sat in the Ford but have not driven it yet. I like the interior better in the chevy but I guess it will come down to the driving experience. I do like the Ford for the SFA though.

Black_Thunder
Group II Member

Reged: 09/24/06
Loc: Wisconsin Re: Chevy 2500 or Ford F250? [Re: TonyMazz]
#782385 - 12/19/06 03:19 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

i see a little bashing towards the 6.0 Powerstroke which i would choose over the Duramax any day of the week.

--------------------
I think I may be going Tropartic baby!

That the funniest thing that you said. The Powerstock I would not even consider it until the next year on the new resigned F-250/350.

mcrn Also consider the "imports" I would not by them but if a Chevy 5.3 could haul your boat. The nissan titan can easy handle it. Also the new 5.7 Toyota Tundra.

yes Nissans and Toyotas are looking better everyday

I know the 6.0 Powerstroke isn't anything to oogle over but its not like Ford's the Only one to put out a junky diesel, not to mention its really made by International

Doesnt the Nissan have a rear End Overheating Problem ? Not ideal if your goin to be towing not to mention I wouldn't think their Heavy duty enough to take on a 250(2500).

If your boat weighs 5K pounds or less I would buy a 5.7L Tundra. No piston rattle:no junky transmission:no stripped out spark plugs. Just plenty of torque and excellent UOAs with any oil you choose to run. If I needed a 3/4 ton truck I guess I would sit down and decide if having an engine that rattled like it was falling apart would bother me. If it didn't bother me I would buy a Chevy. If I thought having spark plugs shoot out of their holes and plastic timing chains would not bother me I would buy a Ford. If I thought transmisions that cooked well-done repeatedly would not bother me I would buy a Dodge.
Actually, if I HAD to have a 3/4 ton truck and I wanted one that was going to be reliable as far as the engine and transmission both I know exactly what I would buy. I would buy a 1988 F-250 with the feul-injected 300 strait six and the transmission would be the old reliable HD 4SPEED with the granny first gear. This was one great combination that just kept on doing what it was made to do-PULL. It is the only big three truck that had a bulletproof engine and transmission together. Alot of them are still pulling with over 500K on them. Good old days.
twocents.gif

Ok thanks everyone. I have thought about the imports and have gone over it time and time again in my head but I'm sorry I can't buy a Nissan, I do my best to not buy anything that money goes back to France. I would not mind the Tundra but I do not like the interior in the current models and the new ones that are coming out with the 5.7 I'm sure are going to be way too expensive. Thanks again everyone.

Iv'e been watching pretty close for years as our city buys 10 or 20 a year, every year, and they get abused by the various maint. divisions. With absolutely no bias, Fords last the longest, Dodges have the most problems, G.M. in the middle. The ford v-10 for a while had some head problems, spitting spark plugs, I think ir was corrected in 04,but check it out.

Quote:

Actually, if I HAD to have a 3/4 ton truck and I wanted one that was going to be reliable as far as the engine and transmission both I know exactly what I would buy. I would buy a 1988 F-250 with the feul-injected 300 strait six and the transmission would be the old reliable HD 4SPEED with the granny first gear. This was one great combination that just kept on doing what it was made to do-PULL. It is the only big three truck that had a bulletproof engine and transmission together. Alot of them are still pulling with over 500K on them. Good old days.
twocents.gif

Ahh'Yes my first "NEW" vehicle was an '84 F250 300 six w/4spd trans.120k in twelve years engine ran great.The rusted out flintstone floorboads did it in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back