Buying a used box truck: Ford E-350/-450 or GMC Savana 3500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdn

I am looking at ads for used gasoline-engine box truck with a 10-14 foot box. So far looking in the 2013-2016 model year. I could go earlier and high mileage and cheaper though if I hear these trucks are durable. The cab of these are almost always a Ford E-350 or E-450 van chassis with a 6.2L, or the older Triton 5.4L (V8) and 6.8 (V10), or else a GMC Savana 3500 with a 6.0 L Vortec or the older models with a 4.8 or 5.3. Its twin is the Chevrolet Express.

I don't want the Ford V10. Out of the rest which would you recommend? I had a less than stellar experience with the 5.4 Triton but that was a 1997 Expedition when the motor was still brand new -- I understand Ford had another 17 years to work the bugs out. The usage would be going to arts and crafts shows and for storing studio supplies and show stuff (tent, folding tables displays, etc plus the merchandise) in the truck not in the house. Even a 10 foot box would probably be enough and the stuff in it is not super heavy. No towing usage.

I find for less money than a full sized extended cab van it seems you can get a light duty box truck with a van chassis.

Is it a wash between the Ford and GMC cabs and which is better in your experience in reliability and operating cost, which engine would you pick and which to avoid. Some of you guys must have fleets or have at least owned one of each brand. How about gas mileage difference. Thanks.

Chevy with the 6.0L all the way. What do you not like about the Ford V10, it's solid and plenty of torque.

Mostly the fuel consumption, but if they are all the same MPG when in a box truck I could reconsider the Ford V10

Originally Posted By: wdn
Mostly the fuel consumption, but if they are all the same MPG when in a box truck I could reconsider the Ford V10

Yup it's all about the same. Expect crappy MPG no matter what.

SteveSRT8 on here runs a fleet of HD 3500 Chevy trucks with the 6.0 I believe and he's been happy with them for many years. You can always PM him if he doesn't see this thread for more info. I'm sure he will be happy to help.

Easy decision, Chevy/GMC with the 6.0L. If it does require repairs the smaller (physically) 6.0L compared to the Mod Motor Ford is significantly easier to work on, but is historically very reliable!

Those G series GM vans are tough as nails, everyone who switched to a sprinter is going to be poor when their warranties run out.
I know it's a box truck but you see tons of clapped out Savanas and Expresses on the roads here.

G-van 6.0 4L80 combo, no question. They ride better, steer better, and are easier to work on.

Originally Posted By: Danno
How many miles a year?

Not a lot Danno. if I had to guess 5,000 miles a year, to 10,000 tops since it is not a daily driver. There are only so many fairs and shows in a year.

GM

I don’t know about the reliability, but I’ve driven a bunch of Uhauls with the V10. Power is good, but what a terrible sounding engine! Sounds like a whiny vacuum cleaner. I just drove one back from Oregon a couple weeks ago. 8 mpg highway with an empty truck pulling a 5x9 trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back