3/4 ton trucks...what options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With that big white beast above I'm getting 11-13mpg empty, but I never have a reason to whine about not hauling, carrying or towing anything, ever. That in itself is good enough for me! I don't whine about mpg, doesn't do any good if I did.
BTW, a Ford or Chevy of the same type, age/mileage will set U back another 10-15 grand. That will buy a LOT of fuel!!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ffracer
Two things to look at also:

1. What is the longevity of the automatic transmission? Depends on whether it is an HD transmission and general reliability data. In fleet vans/trucks in old company, these were the weakest component in the truck for all three makes, but none were HD grade like Allison.

Personally I think the Allison is the most over-sold thing in the GM trucks. With the kind of failure rate they've shown since they were introduced, its obviously a fairly diluted version of a commercial-grade Allison, because those just DON'T break (or at least they didn't... Allison aint what it used to be unfortunately). Don't get me wrong, its a good light truck transmission and certainly better than some of its predecessors like the 4L80E. all I'm saying is that in the last 4-5 years, the in-house built Chrysler and Ford transmissions like the 65RFE and 6R140 are performing very much on-par with the Allison. All three of the big 3 are on an even footing transmission wise IMO. If I had to pick the absolute toughest auto trans available in a "light" truck chassis, I might have to pick the iron-cased, PTO-equipped Aisin AS68RC used in Dodge chassis-cab Rams. It really is a commercial-grade medium duty truck transmission, same as used in NPR, Hino, etc. trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back