Chevron Supreme 5w-30 in 2016 2.0 ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no standardization or qualification for "service advisor".
I would look for a Dexos oil or "b" oil
Originally Posted by Corollaman
Bryanccfshr said:
Normally I would say go for it, but you should check for service bulletins for your eco boost to see if it has been retroactively assigned "b" spec. The PDS for chevron 5w30s both supreme and deposit shield are still"a" meaning they haven't updated to current ford approvals, however the synthetic deposit shield is Dwxos approved in 5w30 meaning it is formulated correctly for that type of motor.
I would point you at the 5w30 Havoline Pro DS.

The odd thing about this 2016 fusion ecoboost is we purchased it from a dodge dealer who told me they only put full synthetic oil in turbo charged engines when they service them regardless of make or model ($70). When I contacted the local ford dealer they told me to follow the spec in the owner's manual "a" and that any oil (regular or synthetic) 5w30 is fine and to follow the oil monitor. Maybe they just want to sell me a new car when the turbo goes I don't know.

Originally Posted by burla

The entire oil industry is besides itself trying to come up with the gf-6 spec, as in the goals simply cannot be met, They can't protect the timing chains and guard against lspi plus make fuel mileage goals. How many times has the deadline been pushed back, years and years...

I think Dexos1 Gen2 meets all those requirements.

BTW, I've reviewed your post once again.
Chevron Supreme 5W-30 does meet WSS-M2C946-A -- the Ford oil spec for that 2016 EcoBoost 2.0L.
Chevron Supreme 5W-30 is a Synthetic Blend oil, according to Chevron's Supreme-series Product Description sheet.
Run it with confidence in your Ford. Though, accomplish a oil analysis right at 3K miles to see how it does.
Again, let us know how it works for you.

Last edited:
Look at Chevron Supreme and Motor Craft synthetic stat sheet, they are about as opposed of a formula you can get, with the motor craft being far superior, no it isn't a sound strategy. The old we are gonna deny your warranty used to be illegal under Magnusum, but now specifically with di turbo's manu's can literally deny you coverage for running an oil that isn't in compliance with their spec. Research lspi, look at lspi quenchers like moly and lspi bad guys like calcium, and choose an oil that has the least chance of leaving anything in the cylinder that can pre ignite. Anyone can say anything here, and ofen do, but recomending a conventional oil to someone with a di turbo is irresponsible. Can you run it "sure", will you get away with it "probably" but there is zero people in the oil industry that would think that is a good idea, if if you get lspi and you loose that engine, it comes out of your wallet. Here's a good starting point link.

I'd use the best oil with a clean base oil and low calcium high magnesium and avoid dumping fuel in low rpm's, especially as the engine ages. sn+, high moly, there are a couple out there.

Motorcraft far superior to Chevron? I'm having a hard time believing that.

Originally Posted by turnbowm

The entire oil industry is besides itself trying to come up with the gf-6 spec, as in the goals simply cannot be met, They can't protect the timing chains and guard against lspi plus make fuel mileage goals. How many times has the deadline been pushed back, years and years...

I think Dexos1 Gen2 meets all those requirements.

It does to an extent being LPSI can not be completely eliminated yet the frequency can be lessened.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Look at Chevron Supreme and Motor Craft synthetic stat sheet, they are about as opposed of a formula you can get, with the motor craft being far superior, no it isn't a sound strategy. The old we are gonna deny your warranty used to be illegal under Magnusum, but now specifically with di turbo's manu's can literally deny you coverage for running an oil that isn't in compliance with their spec. Research lspi, look at lspi quenchers like moly and lspi bad guys like calcium, and choose an oil that has the least chance of leaving anything in the cylinder that can pre ignite. Anyone can say anything here, and ofen do, but recomending a conventional oil to someone with a di turbo is irresponsible. Can you run it "sure", will you get away with it "probably" but there is zero people in the oil industry that would think that is a good idea, if if you get lspi and you loose that engine, it comes out of your wallet. Here's a good starting point link.

I'd use the best oil with a clean base oil and low calcium high magnesium and avoid dumping fuel in low rpm's, especially as the engine ages. sn+, high moly, there are a couple out there.

It used to be brands were irreleveant and guys would look at stat sheets, now this place seams to be drunk on hunting spec sheets and brands and not bothering to look at a stat sheet. Feel free to look up tbn, hths and noacks if you feel like it. di turbo's are a new breed, a fella should really consider things he didn't need to consider.

Motorcraft 5w30 full synthetic

cSt - 10.5
visc index 166
pour point -49f
flash point 455f

Chevron Supreme

cSt 10.5
visc index 151
pour point -33f
flash point 392

pdf

Originally Posted by das_peikko

It used to be brands were irreleveant and guys would look at stat sheets, now this place seams to be drunk on hunting spec sheets and brands and not bothering to look at a stat sheet. Feel free to look up tbn, hths and noacks if you feel like it. di turbo's are a new breed, a fella should really consider things he didn't need to consider.

Motorcraft 5w30 full synthetic

cSt - 10.5
visc index 166
pour point -49f
flash point 455f

Chevron Supreme

cSt 10.5
visc index 151
pour point -33f
flash point 392

pdf

I thought the comparison was between Chevron Supreme and Motorcraft semi synthetic not full synthetic? Chevron lists there 5w30 as a semi synthetic so I thought that would be a fair comparison.

Last edited:
Fair? I'm simply providing info about what the industry says in relationship to your application. Things I ran across while extensive research for my applications issues. You would have to search far and low for the industry experts to recomend any conventional oil or blend, of course someone marketing thier own stuff aside. Of course I'm sure you realize, blends are mostly group 2 oil, that have impurities that can/will end up in the combustion chamber. So I would never compare something to something in order to be fair, because fairness has nothing to do with it. I'm not suggesting chevron is better or worse then motorcraft, someone else did, LMAO? I'm suggesting that people who invested in an ecoboost also invest in a decent lubrication strategy. If that makes me the bad guy, ok I'll be that. If I had an eco boost, it wouldn't be motorcraft neither, likely ravenol or amsoil or maybe m1. I have nothing else to add, whatever you run I honestly wish you good luck with it.

Originally Posted by dave1251
The difference in Full Syn Motorcraft and Syn Blend is about 45F of flash point the rest of the virgin specs are nearly identical.

Plus it seems to me availability is limited to Ford Dealerships. I know of no parts store that I've ever seen it in. Their Synthetic Blend is available at Walmart on an iffy basis.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
The difference in Full Syn Motorcraft and Syn Blend is about 45F of flash point the rest of the virgin specs are nearly identical.

Plus it seems to me availability is limited to Ford Dealerships. I know of no parts store that I've ever seen it in. Their Synthetic Blend is available at Walmart on an iffy basis.

Yeah all I ever see is the blend too. I'll probably try Quaker State full synthetic, seems like a good value. Thanks for all the info.

Last edited:
I lied I had mone more thing to add, you know the issue yes? The di turbo injects gasoline into the combustion before the spark, where every other engine even port injections does in simultaneously. If there is something in the chamber that it still hot, it ignites, on the wrong part of the stroke. I am suprised that many of these trucks are going real high mileage, it is a testamant to the ford egineering. But still, it pays to develop a strategy, it doesn't have to be expensive, m1 costco deal is a fairly good choice- dunno about the spec, and I would be looking at the short oci as well.

I lied I had mone more thing to add, you know the issue yes? The di turbo injects gasoline into the combustion before the spark, where every other engine even port injections does in simultaneously. If there is something in the chamber that it still hot, it ignites, on the wrong part of the stroke. I am suprised that many of these trucks are going real high mileage, it is a testamant to the ford egineering. But still, it pays to develop a strategy, it doesn't have to be expensive, m1 costco deal is a fairly good choice- dunno about the spec, and I would be looking at the short oci as well.

Thanks for all the information and help. I see tons of these ecoboost fusions running around now I wonder what oil is in them, conventional, synthetic blend or full synthetic.

Last edited:

I thought the comparison was between Chevron Supreme and Motorcraft semi synthetic not full synthetic?

That's what I thought too. The guy pulled a bait and switch on me.

Thanks for all the information and help. I see tons of these ecoboost fusions running around now I wonder what oil is in them, conventional, synthetic blend or full synthetic.

From experience if it's SN ISLAC GF-5 is all the engine needs for a long life.

burla said:

>>>>>"From experience if it's SN ISLAC GF-5 is all the engine needs for a long life."

I think that sir is the best comment in this entire thread. It's amazing how people get really worked up over a simple question and motor oil. Kind of entertaining in a weird way. It's the bob's way....

Last edited:
Since it's a gasoline DI turbo, I'd be using an SN+ rated oil ... which many are today anyway.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Since it's a gasoline DI turbo, I'd be using an SN+ rated oil ... which many are today anyway.

Applicable grades of Chevron Supreme do meet the SN+ spec. Though, Supreme's slick sheet doesn't indicate meeting the "WSS-M2C946-B#" spec yet.
https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=533194&docFormat=PDF

Nonetheless, I wouldn't hesitate running it in this Ford, as long as I completed a UOA or two after 3 or 4K miles.

API SN+, of which most "conventional oils" meet, is specifically aimed at quelling LSPI in Turbo Direct Injection vehicles. You can find this information on the API website.

If the oil meets Ford's spec and SN+, it is just as capable at protecting your engine as anything else with those same specs...Syn, Semi or otherwise. If you have a lead foot and drive the Fusion hard...all the time, then a Synthetic might be worth it as it offers other benefits outside the issues TGDI bring to the table.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
API SN+, of which most "conventional oils" meet, is specifically aimed at quelling LSPI in Turbo Direct Injection vehicles. You can find this information on the API website.

If the oil meets Ford's spec and SN+, it is just as capable at protecting your engine as anything else with those same specs...Syn, Semi or otherwise. If you have a lead foot and drive the Fusion hard...all the time, then a Synthetic might be worth it as it offers other benefits outside the issues TGDI bring to the table.

I wonder about "conventional" oils meeting sn+

I noticed QSGB 5W30 and 10w30 today were not SN+ with a date of April 2019 but PYB in these grades with February 2019 date ARE SN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back