Chevron esi 80w-90... flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently run Chevron esi 80w90 in all my gear boxes. I'm thinking of going to a full synthetic, maybe a 75w-90 or 75w-140. I spoke to Chevron about this oil and was told by their tech cause it contains a special additive package including boron, he wouldn't elaborate stating it's proprietary. He stated I can't just drain an fill, they said I need to drain, fill with a straight 80w-90, drive it 20-30 miles, then drain and fill with preferred oil. I can't find anything to support this, and if I don't have to spend the money for extra oil just to flush, I don't wanna.

So is a flush required after this oil drain?

Chevron's 1800 tech line. Local sales guy said drain and fill. I don't need to be burning up rears and a transmission over a couple hundred dollars in oil.

This ESI 80W90 contains Boron ,is a GL5 MT-1, J2360 'monograde' and has Meritor and Mack OEM approvals.
I wouldn't swap it to others in terms of performance or components protection, whether or not your particular application requires it.
No, flush is unnecessary.

Last edited:
Well, we used to use the Delo ESI and we switched to XDM.....still waiting for the explosions from not doing a flush. The PDS for XDM specifically talks about compatibility with other oils syn or mineral.

Originally Posted by PiperOne
Well, we used to use the Delo ESI and we switched to XDM.....still waiting for the explosions from not doing a flush. The PDS for XDM specifically talks about compatibility with other oils syn or mineral.

Yeah ... I have a quart of each and will probably run 75/25 next change since the front only holds 1.5 quarts ...

Originally Posted by zeng
This ESI 80W90 contains Boron ,is a GL5 MT-1, J2360 'monograde' and has Meritor and Mack OEM approvals.
I wouldn't swap it to others in terms of performance or components protection, whether or not your particular application requires it.
No, flush is unnecessary.

I'm due for a change. The oil has around 250k. I'm paying a lot for the oil. And I think I can change brands and go full synthetic for the same price. It cost me about $550.00 to change both rears and transmission. It hasn't gave me issues, it has brought my temps down drastically, to a point it almost makes ya wonder if the sensors are working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back