Chevron Delo 5w40 for a 6.4L Hemi Challenger gas car?

Is a quality 5W40 just like another quality 5W40?

My 6.4L Challenger is a thirsty girl and calls for 7 qts of 0W40 synthetic. There's a lot of debate on this, because these were initially calling for 5W40 and have gone back and forth, officially, on the manual and the fill cap, and depending on who Chrysler had an oil contract relationship with and what was available at the time. I also plan to use this in the summer and temps are hot here, and year round rarely dip cold enough to be of a concern and this car is never taken out below freezing anyway. For my application, 5W is consistent with prior recommendations and largely irrelevant as I understand the differences are small between 0W and 5W, and irrelevant if the car is never operated in freezing temps anyway. Moving on...

Regardless, the local shop has this Chevron 5W40 that is heavily discounted at $8 per gallon and after current rebates, is free (well, the first 3 gallons anyway). https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/delo-400-xsp-sae-5w-40.html

My game plan is basically nearly free high quality 5W40 for a lot of future summer oil changes on the 6.4L Challenger. I'm going to clean them out. I nearly bought it all today, but foolishly did not. Now I'm wanting to get some feedback and return tomorrow to buy it all.

The oil seems marketed heavily to diesels but also says 4-stroke gas motors (I am embarrassed to admit I'm not sure what that means, unless it's referring to not using 2-stroke motors like motorcycles and yard tools that consume a mixture of 2-stroke oil and gas). This big powerful engine seems like it would benefit from these additive packages for "heavy duty," running at high hard RPMs from time to time.

The marketing has phrases like this:

"Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 with ISOSYN Advanced Technology is an API CK-4 heavy duty engine oil specifically formulated for on-highway and off-highway applications including 2017 greenhouse gas (GHG 17) compliant diesel engines with lower CO2 emissions and improved fuel economy, in addition to EPA 2010 compliant low emission diesel engines with Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) systems. It is fully compatible with previous engine models and previous API Oil Service Categories. It delivers value through:

Promotes consistent cold engine starting for gasoline and diesel engines operating in sub-zero temps.
Exceptional soot dispersancy and wear control protect the cylinders, pistons, rings, and valve train components against wear and corrosion, promoting optimum service life and minimal maintenance. Contributes to maximum vehicle utilization and minimal downtime. Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 with ISOSYN Advanced Technology is a mixed-fleet motor oil recommended for naturally aspirated and turbocharged four-stroke diesel engines and four-stroke gasoline engines in which the API CK-4 or API SN service categories and SAE 5W-40 viscosity grades are recommended. It is formulated for engines operating under severe service and a wide range of climatic conditions.

Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 with ISOSYN Advanced Technology is excellent for use in engines developed to meet 2010 emissions standards and in engines equipped with features like four-valve heads, supercharging, turbocharging, direct injection, shorter piston crowns, higher power density, intercooling, full electronic management of fuel and emissions systems, exhaust gas recirculation, and exhaust particulate filters. It is formulated for exceptional performance with many fuels, including low sulfur and ultra low sulfur diesel fuels.
This product is recommended for use in older engines, as well as in today’s most modern low emission designs."

What year is your Challenger and is it still under warranty? If it is under warranty then use an oil that meets Chrysler's recommendation and specification.

If your Challenger is out of warranty, then feel free to use the Chevron Delo 5w40 because it is rated as an SN and SN PLUS motor oil for gasoline engines. FYI, the current API specification for oil is SP. Also, there is a difference between a 0w rated oil and a 5W rated oil at colder (sub zero) temperatures, but it is not that great of a difference. Just as an FYI, the CK-4 rating is for diesel engines. Hence, it can be used in both gasoline engines and diesel engines.

Chevron oils are top of the line and can be considered to be premium oils that can be used with confidence.

What year is your Challenger and is it still under warranty? If it is under warranty then use an oil that meets Chrysler's recommendation and specification.

If your Challenger is out of warranty, then feel free to use the Chevron Delo 5w40 because it is rated as an SN and SN PLUS motor oil for gasoline engines. FYI, the current API specification for oil is SP. Also, there is a difference between a 0w rated oil and a 5W rated oil at colder (sub zero) temperatures, but it is not that great of a difference. Just as an FYI, the CK-4 rating is for diesel engines. Hence, it can be used in both gasoline engines and diesel engines.

Chevron oils are top of the line and can be considered to be premium oils that can be used with confidence.

Thanks for the detailed info. It's a 2012, out of warranty periods, with only 9000 miles on it. Your information confirms my suspicions on this oil. Excellent quality, safe to use. Minimal differences in cold weather starting, which will never impact my driving habits since I never even start the car in freezing weather.

I would be doing exactly the same, Also consider the Shell T6 oil same type of specs as you are showing for the Chevron and lots of deals for both exist. Mobil has the delvac versions also. I'm using some in a Porsche, takes 2 gallons! with zero issues and the idiot previous owner had a high end euro only shop using M1 oil for his annual change in THE WRONG WEIGHT because they probably have a 55gallon drum of that and it says "M1 recommended" on the oil fil cap. My newer VW still specs out the M1 or Castrol version of the 5w40/0w40 and I am using M1 for warranty concern reasons but I will have no issue switching out to any of the HD truck full syn versions when thats over.

I don't recall the 6.4L ever calling for 5w-40. The predecessor to the 6.4L, the 6.1L also called for 0w-40. The "original" SRT oil was just Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro, here's a 6.1L, you can see 0w-40 on the oil cap:
1620483237352.png

Some of them even had Mobil 1 oil caps:
1620483386471.png

1620483830091.png

As Mobil 1 0w-40 was both the factory and service fill.

This continued with the 6.4L.

When FIAT bought Chrysler, the long-standing relationship with Mobil was abruptly terminated as FIAT already had a relationship with Shell. They quickly whipped-up the "SRT" 0w-40, which was both higher volatility (higher Noack) and had lower levels of AW additives like (ZDDP) but a bit more moly.

Now, I recall the Sprinter and the EcoDiesel getting re-spec'd for 5w-40 at one point, but that was Rotella, not a gas oil.

Anyways, to answer your question:

Since the original "SRT" oil was just a Euro-spec 0w-40, the approvals for which often cover A3/B4 5w-30's, 0w-30's and 5w-40's, there should be absolutely no issue with using a Euro or even a diesel 5w-40 in the SRT. The SRT engines generally aren't hard on oil due to the large sumps and generous heat exchanger to keep the temperature in check.

Is a quality 5W40 just like another quality 5W40?

My 6.4L Challenger is a thirsty girl and calls for 7 qts of 0W40 synthetic. There's a lot of debate on this, because these were initially calling for 5W40 and have gone back and forth, officially, on the manual and the fill cap, and depending on who Chrysler had an oil contract relationship with and what was available at the time. I also plan to use this in the summer and temps are hot here, and year round rarely dip cold enough to be of a concern and this car is never taken out below freezing anyway. For my application, 5W is consistent with prior recommendations and largely irrelevant as I understand the differences are small between 0W and 5W, and irrelevant if the car is never operated in freezing temps anyway. Moving on...

Regardless, the local shop has this Chevron 5W40 that is heavily discounted at $8 per gallon and after current rebates, is free (well, the first 3 gallons anyway). https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/delo-400-xsp-sae-5w-40.html

My game plan is basically nearly free high quality 5W40 for a lot of future summer oil changes on the 6.4L Challenger. I'm going to clean them out. I nearly bought it all today, but foolishly did not. Now I'm wanting to get some feedback and return tomorrow to buy it all.

The oil seems marketed heavily to diesels but also says 4-stroke gas motors (I am embarrassed to admit I'm not sure what that means, unless it's referring to not using 2-stroke motors like motorcycles and yard tools that consume a mixture of 2-stroke oil and gas). This big powerful engine seems like it would benefit from these additive packages for "heavy duty," running at high hard RPMs from time to time.

The marketing has phrases like this:

"Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 with ISOSYN Advanced Technology is an API CK-4 heavy duty engine oil specifically formulated for on-highway and off-highway applications including 2017 greenhouse gas (GHG 17) compliant diesel engines with lower CO2 emissions and improved fuel economy, in addition to EPA 2010 compliant low emission diesel engines with Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) systems. It is fully compatible with previous engine models and previous API Oil Service Categories. It delivers value through:

Promotes consistent cold engine starting for gasoline and diesel engines operating in sub-zero temps.
Exceptional soot dispersancy and wear control protect the cylinders, pistons, rings, and valve train components against wear and corrosion, promoting optimum service life and minimal maintenance. Contributes to maximum vehicle utilization and minimal downtime. Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 with ISOSYN Advanced Technology is a mixed-fleet motor oil recommended for naturally aspirated and turbocharged four-stroke diesel engines and four-stroke gasoline engines in which the API CK-4 or API SN service categories and SAE 5W-40 viscosity grades are recommended. It is formulated for engines operating under severe service and a wide range of climatic conditions.

Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 with ISOSYN Advanced Technology is excellent for use in engines developed to meet 2010 emissions standards and in engines equipped with features like four-valve heads, supercharging, turbocharging, direct injection, shorter piston crowns, higher power density, intercooling, full electronic management of fuel and emissions systems, exhaust gas recirculation, and exhaust particulate filters. It is formulated for exceptional performance with many fuels, including low sulfur and ultra low sulfur diesel fuels.
This product is recommended for use in older engines, as well as in today’s most modern low emission designs."
I would use it with no issue.

I don't recall the 6.4L ever calling for 5w-40. The predecessor to the 6.4L, the 6.1L also called for 0w-40. The "original" SRT oil was just Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro, here's a 6.1L, you can see 0w-40 on the oil cap:
View attachment 56459

Some of them even had Mobil 1 oil caps:
View attachment 56460
View attachment 56462

As Mobil 1 0w-40 was both the factory and service fill.

This continued with the 6.4L.

When FIAT bought Chrysler, the long-standing relationship with Mobil was abruptly terminated as FIAT already had a relationship with Shell. They quickly whipped-up the "SRT" 0w-40, which was both higher volatility (higher Noack) and had lower levels of AW additives like (ZDDP) but a bit more moly.

Now, I recall the Sprinter and the EcoDiesel getting re-spec'd for 5w-40 at one point, but that was Rotella, not a gas oil.

Anyways, to answer your question:

Since the original "SRT" oil was just a Euro-spec 0w-40, the approvals for which often cover A3/B4 5w-30's, 0w-30's and 5w-40's, there should be absolutely no issue with using a Euro or even a diesel 5w-40 in the SRT. The SRT engines generally aren't hard on oil due to the large sumps and generous heat exchanger to keep the temperature in check.

Thanks for the response. When I bought my 2012 (in 2019), it had been previously filled with either/both 5W40 and 0W40. This was a "transition" phase between the two weight recommendations. Both have apparently shown up for the 6.1L and 6.4L.

Over on Challenger forums you get both opinions but the consensus I've gleaned is that the winter weight difference is negligible and also irrelevant if never started or driven in freezing temps. Members of that forum have said in dialogue with SRT designers there's no difference or no material difference in the two weights for summer driving. As I understand it the W figure is the flow at cold temps. Shouldn't matter if temps are warm.

Mine sits all winter, so this is not a relevant number for me... If I were particular about driving it in freezing temps, I'd switch back to 0W. But I have dediacated winter vehicles for those roles. Since 0W is relatively new and 5W was used in everything before, my limited understanding of oils is that it won't make a difference.

Thanks for the response. When I bought my 2012 (in 2019), it had been previously filled with either/both 5W40 and 0W40. This was a "transition" phase between the two weight recommendations. Both have apparently shown up for the 6.1L and 6.4L.

Over on Challenger forums you get both opinions but the consensus I've gleaned is that the winter weight difference is negligible and also irrelevant if never started or driven in freezing temps. Members of that forum have said in dialogue with SRT designers there's no difference or no material difference in the two weights for summer driving. As I understand it the W figure is the flow at cold temps. Shouldn't matter if temps are warm.

Mine sits all winter, so this is not a relevant number for me... If I were particular about driving it in freezing temps, I'd switch back to 0W. But I have dediacated winter vehicles for those roles. Since 0W is relatively new and 5W was used in everything before, my limited understanding of oils is that it won't make a difference.
You are quite welcome.

I expect the 5w-40 recommendation may be lore, the official fill has always been M1 0w-40 until the switch the SRT 0w-40. Since Mobil didn't produce a Euro 5w-40, it would never have been a recommendation. The SRT fill always had its own MS-xxxx approval number through Chrysler, that's always been the spec and as far as I know, that has only ever been met by 0w-40's.

But you are correct in that it won't make a difference, the ability for the oil to pump at -40C and not have an impact on cranking speed at -35C aren't relevant to your usage profile, which is what the 0W-xx Winter designation denotes. The grade (0w-40) has become very popular because it covers the whole spectrum from extreme cold to extreme hot while still having the requisite HTHS visc as well.

A Euro 5w-40 will typically be a bit lighter than an HDEO 5w-40 (Delvac, Rotella, Delo...etc) but again, it's not a big difference so not something I'd be overly concerned about.

I've owned 4x 6.4L's at this point, so I'm reasonably familiar with the engine :)

Thanks for the replies everyone, I managed to do quite well stocking up on this.

Autozone has clearanced out Chevron Delo 10W30 blend and 5W40 full synthetic and possibly other motor oils. Here they are only $7.50 per gallon, reflecting a 65% discount. They also have fully synthetic 80-140 gear oil, for only $1 per quart which is about 80% discount.

You can also apply military discount and this counts for "points." And some of this also has a rebate. Today I scored 16 gallons of the 5W40 full synthetic for about $1.50 per quart after discounts, and will probably be closer to $1/qt. after rebates.

Having done a bit of research, I'm comfortable using this Chevron Delo 5W40 in my 6.4L Challenger because it meets the critical requirements - It's full synthetic SAE 5W40 with the correct API requirements. And it's driven in warm weather only, so the Winter lubricity is seemingly irrelevant as it's never started at sub-zero temps or close to freezing. Always warm or above freezing weather startups.

Research points to the fact, including documented conversations with these engine designers, that 0W weight was the most universally appropriate for all conditions nationwide. In reality, in warm climate use a heavier Winter weight is fine or even appropriate and the Winter number is not only not a factor but a higher number may be beneficial.

I called Chevron and spoke to a technical guy. He was a retired employee, now working back there part time and clearly answering calls from home. He seemed quite knowledgeable and said the winter weight differences are minuscule and Delo 5W40 is totally fine for my application and vehicle and he even bought some for his friend whose wife has a 2018 Challenger as a daily driver, in MA. I don't know if I'd go that far, and if I were in a cold climate driving situation I would do the recommended 0W40. We also talked about the constant changing certifications SM, SN, CJ, CK, etc. and my interpretation of his opinion is that these constantly changing standards are just ever increasing EPA standards and have nothing or little to do with the lubricity of the oils. He agreed the marketing department at Chevron has always sucked and this is indeed for gasoline and diesel engines, and why it's not more clearly advertised for the former is also bewildering to him.

My overall takeaway is that this Chevron 5W40 full synthetic is designed for heavy duty engines running hard and at high RPMs and will work great in my car, for my warm weather applications, and their marketing dept sucks. I'm glad I bought 100 qts of it in 25 one gallon jugs for $1.50 per qt... :) I have never seen full synthetic motor oil this affordable.

“Rebate not available for purchases made at: Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, CARQUEST, Costco Wholesale, Menards, NAPA Auto Parts, O’Reilly Auto Parts, Pep Boys, Sam’s Club or Walmart.”

That doesn’t leave any options left where to acquire it in my neighborhood 🤦‍♂️

Well, you have a 7 quart sump, the more oil the engine can hold the better for heavy usage. It is easier on oil, since there is more oil, the temperature should stay consistent as it goes through the oil cooler, and able to run 5w40 without any problems occurring. Take care.

Back