Checking out older minivans

That 3.3 is a solid motor. We had one and even did some towing with it and it was always smooth and willing to go. Ours did eat plug wires more quickly than you’d expect. It also achieved really good gas mileage for what it was, and the mono leaf rear suspension might as well have been air suspension, it was so smooth.

a really nice upgrade for ours was Monroe Reflex shocks in the rear. I don’t know if those are still made, but they added a lot to the van, whether loaded or empty.

I also noted that when driven hard, the PS fluid can overheat. I switched to a synthetic ATF +4 in the PS and never had that problem again.

watch for the overrun clutch on the alternator. Those go. Buy the tool on Amazon and it’s an easy job on this engine.

mine did best on a 10-30 oil when doing OCIs greater than 6500.

the drivers seat and control layout was really, really good in these. Congratulations!

Very sorry to hear this!

It just goes to show that you never know what the future holds.

I'm glad you've stayed connected here. Do you have a good network of family and friends?
5 grandsons,one granddaughter, one great grandson ,one son and daughter,,,I have lots of fun stiuations to get into, lol.....not to mention 5 pitbulls, and chickens my daughter has,,mercy me, a never ending story there... I guess Im not by myself really,,just the nights are out of sorts,,,time move on....

5 grandsons,one granddaughter, one great grandson ,one son and daughter,,,I have lots of fun stiuations to get into, lol.....not to mention 5 pitbulls, and chickens my daughter has,,mercy me, a never ending story there... I guess Im not by myself really,,just the nights are out of sorts,,,time move on....
Sadly time takes much from us

So glad to hear that you've got lots of family. I hope they're nearby. How are they doing with the loss of their mother/grandmother/great-grandmother?

Here are a couple of shots of our "new" van - far from perfect, but I think pretty good for the age and price -
20210305_152111.jpg
20210305_152128.jpg

That’s a clean looking van...

gonna do plugs?

what weight oil? Ours seemed most consistent on 10-30 (syn).

check the valve covers for weeping. Felpro makes a good gasket set for them and it’s not a bad job.

it should serve you very well!

m

That’s a clean looking van...

gonna do plugs?

what weight oil? Ours seemed most consistent on 10-30 (syn).

check the valve covers for weeping. Felpro makes a good gasket set for them and it’s not a bad job.

it should serve you very well!

m
Just bought plugs today! NGK Iridium IX LZTR5AIX13, in stock at Canadian Tire.

OM says 5W-20, but oil filler cap says 5W-30. I will likely run Mobil 15W-30 year round.

VCs look OK, but agreed on Fel-Pro when req'd. (That's what I bought for the tranny.)

Did a small bit of maintenance this afternoon -

- Noticed the spare tire was dangling a bit, and cranked it up. The Dodge vans use this failure-prone crank-and-cable system. It's a damp and cloudy outside, but when it's a bit nicer I want to put the van up on ramps, drop the spare, and lube the mechanism well.

- Syringed out close to half a litre of PSF from the reservoir, and replaced it with synthetic ATF (Amsoil ATF+4, the same stuff that's going into the tranny). I hope this quiets it down - sounds like a Ford right now!

- Pulled the front three plugs - they were the NGK G-Power type, and looked pretty good. Hard to know how many miles on them, but I assume they're not original. I know that NGK says not to use anti-seize compound, but I always do. The validity of that was confirmed when it took a fair bit of force to break two of the three loose. I have the new Iridium plugs, and plan change all six some day soon. All will get a dab of anti-seize, although it's quite likely they won't be removed again.

- Changed the air filter. Was a bit dismayed to see that the old one (looked like a Fram) was distorted (bowed) on one side, such that unfiltered air would have had an easy way into the engine. Glad to have the new WIX, which is a lot more rigid, installed.

-

Changed the plugs this morning. Can't see them on the rear bank, but it wasn't too bad.

20210308_124519.jpg
20210308_124526.jpg

Some of the gaps are perhaps a bit over spec (0.050"), but all in all this looks like a happy engine.

A few of the old ones were a little tight coming out - I'm glad I didn't leave them any longer. Used a dab of anti-seize on the threads of the new plugs, and a bit of dielectric silicone grease on the porcelain.

Attachments

• 20210308_124519.jpg
    20210308_124519.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 3
Changed the plugs this morning. Can't see them on the rear bank, but it wasn't too bad.

View attachment 48394View attachment 48395

Some of the gaps are perhaps a bit over spec (0.050"), but all in all this looks like a happy engine.

A few of the old ones were a little tight coming out - I'm glad I didn't leave them any longer. Used a dab of anti-seize on the threads of the new plugs, and a bit of dielectric silicone grease on the porcelain.
What plugs did you put back in? Just curious. I know my Jeep will only take Champions you put anything else in and the thing runs like crap.

Back