Checking dipstick on slight incline be off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading on another forum that if not checking your oil on a level ground can show you are low on oil. If that is true, how much difference can there be if a vehicle is on a slight incline, like say parking at the front of Autozone where there's always a slight incline?

Best always check oil in the same place . I check my car's oil in my garage - level floor and consistent !

If the incline is just a smidgen, if should be fine. Anything over a tad is problematic. If it gets to be a hair or more uneven, I wouldn't trust your results. This is only talking about the parking lot at Autozone. I can't speak for the parking lots at Advance or Carquest.

Originally Posted By: HappyLittlePony
If the incline is just a smidgen, if should be fine. Anything over a tad is problematic. If it gets to be a hair or more uneven, I wouldn't trust your results. This is only talking about the parking lot at Autozone. I can't speak for the parking lots at Advance or Carquest.

Pony, please tell us what the diff is between a tad, a smidgen and a hair, I can't figure that out.
21.gif

My transverse mounted inline 4 dipstick is in the middle front of the pan. So it's relatively immune to side-to-side leaning but very susceptible to forward/rearward.

Some oil pans are a foot long from end-to-end. The dipstick range is half an inch. Take a shallow baking pan and fill it half with water then tilt it until it's off... only takes a couple degrees!

measure your oil with your car parked front in and then measure it parked back in. how much is the difference?

Originally Posted By: bruno
Best always check oil in the same place . I check my car's oil in my garage - level floor and consistent !

excellent response

My drive way is inclined but that's where I change my oil, I know it affects the reading on the dip stick and probably the amount that drains out, but I'm not worried about it. It's close enough that I'm comfortable with it.

I then check my oil about once a month when at the gas station. That's level enough for me to know that I'm not running low

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back