What would cause inconsistent oil consumption?

So I have a 2013 Accord Sport with about 149,000 miles and I realized around 100k that my engine was consuming a decent amount of oil. Maybe half a liter or so in between oil changes. It's slightly gone up over the years but here is when things get weird...

I've had times where I check the oil level at 2,000 miles and I'm at the minimum line and there are times where I check the oil level at 2500 and have barely lost any oil. What would cause it to be inconsistent like this? No oil leaks under the car for the record...

So I have a 2013 Accord Sport with about 149,000 miles and I realized around 100k that my engine was consuming a decent amount of oil. Maybe half a liter or so in between oil changes. It's slightly gone up over the years but here is when things get weird...

I've had times where I check the oil level at 2,000 miles and I'm at the minimum line and there are times where I check the oil level at 2500 and have barely lost any oil. What would cause it to be inconsistent like this? No oil leaks under the car for the record...

Are you the Original Owner?
What oil are you using now and what other oils have you used?
What are your OCI's?

Varying levels of fuel dilution burning off and or intermittently dysfunctional PCV operation?

Rings moving around is probably the best guess yet

PCV valve has been changed but I’m going to try changing it again at 150k.

Is the piston rings moving around like that normal? Is it dangerous? Any need for concern?

Are you the Original Owner?
What oil are you using now and what other oils have you used?
What are your OCI's?
I am the original owner actually. Always have used 0w 20. Used Castrol Magnatec for about 100k or so and then have been using whatever I can get my hands on these days. Kirkland a few times, Supertech a few times. Pennzoil a few times. Always synthetic 0w 20. And in the last two years I've started to use the High Mileage version of the brands I cited.

Every 5k OCI occasionally going 100 or 200 miles over. My dad taught me well so I've always kept things well maintained.

Pennzoil while a good cleaning oil can be prone to oil consumption when switching between brands. Sometimes the consumption will go down the more you use it especially with consecutive use.

I’ll get some Castrol GTX next time… what viscosity? And what’s an HDEO?
You could even use T1 SAE 30 in the summer

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 20-03-59 rotella motor oil - Walmart.com.jpg

Or T4 10w30

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 20-06-29 rotella motor oil - Walmart.com.jpg

Do you mind quickly explaining your reasoning behind recommending these oils? What’s the benefit of running something slightly more viscous and why conventional? Also, what’s the difference between the T1 and the T4?
T1 is mono viscosity and T4 is multi viscosity. Both are conventional oil.

FWIW I’d run Super Tech 10w30 in your car and not worry at all.

Just my $0.02

Something similar:

Back