Cheap Synthetic (supertech) vs big brand conventional, your pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tiger862
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Tiger862: it obviously meets the spec so may I ask what's all the fuss about?

At least its SN+ and DEXOS 1 GEN 2 which to me are a bit more strict. Am I wrong?

No fuss just facts. I have read specs on bottle and nowhere does it say meets specs. If you sell a product that meets spec then put in on bottle so people that have a Chrysler product under warranty will buy. Lots of speculation on this and only a 5 year old post was given. Show me it now meets spec so if my engine has a problem I can prove it. .

There is no speculation when you contact Warren the rep will tell you it meets the Chrysler spec.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Based upon your question, I would choose the Supertech synthetic over any conventional oil. I stopped using conventional oil in almost everything I own after an engine failure in a John Deere push mower back in 2006. That machine ran well for seven years with regular oil changes of Quaker State or Penzoil SAE 30, and then it just threw a rod. Oil is cheap; engines are not. Enough said?

How do you know use of a synthetic would have saved your push mower engine?

Consumer grade OPE engines are a bad platform to draw oil lubrication strategies from in relation to motor vehicle engines.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Based upon your question, I would choose the Supertech synthetic over any conventional oil. I stopped using conventional oil in almost everything I own after an engine failure in a John Deere push mower back in 2006. That machine ran well for seven years with regular oil changes of Quaker State or Penzoil SAE 30, and then it just threw a rod. Oil is cheap; engines are not. Enough said?

How do you know use of a synthetic would have saved your push mower engine?
I don't know that, nor did I say it would have. I just don't bother with conventional oils any longer.

Supertech synthetic for the newer vehicles (my GMC and my folks' 2018 Tundra), whatever conventional is cheaper for old stuff (my Dakota and my folks' 99 Dakota with an identical, oil leaking and using engine).

Technically for the two newer pickups ST would be the only option anyways since they both call for 0W20, but if you leveled the field a bit and ran 5W20/5W30 in them I'd still go ST since it meets the Dexos spec for my truck. That being said... Joining here has me oil deal hunting and I now have two changes worth of Castrol lined up.

Since Subaru recommends synthetic oil for my engine and ST 5W30 synth also meets d1G2, it's the WM (OK, Warren) product for me all the way.

So I guess Super Tech is just fine for ALL US sold vehicles. I understand there will always be recommended vs. what's required for warranty as far as choices.

Originally Posted by 007
So I guess Super Tech is just fine for ALL US sold vehicles. I understand there will always be recommended vs. what's required for warranty as far as choices.

If you say so …

Originally Posted by dave1251
Tiger862: it obviously meets the spec so may I ask what's all the fuss about?

At least its SN+ and DEXOS 1 GEN 2 which to me are a bit more strict. Am I wrong?

No fuss just facts. I have read specs on bottle and nowhere does it say meets specs. If you sell a product that meets spec then put in on bottle so people that have a Chrysler product under warranty will buy. Lots of speculation on this and only a 5 year old post was given. Show me it now meets spec so if my engine has a problem I can prove it. .

There is no speculation when you contact Warren the rep will tell you it meets the Chrysler spec.

There you go Dave... Making sense.

And I very much believe Strude53 is right that Dexos Gen 2 is a tougher specification than the other one...

Bbhero: yeah, I would NOT worry about chrysler spec. We have tons in the fleet at work. The few that went in for warranty work; nothing about the oil was ever questioned. They asked the boss what oil we used and he fax them a sheet with specs to Chrysler and they said "that oil is fine for use in Chrysler/Ram and Dodge products"

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by 007

If you say so …

Guess you do not like ST and that's OK. Only going by what I read, not an expert by any means!

Bbhero: yeah, I would NOT worry about chrysler spec. We have tons in the fleet at work. The few that went in for warranty work; nothing about the oil was ever questioned. They asked the boss what oil we used and he fax them a sheet with specs to Chrysler and they said "that oil is fine for use in Chrysler/Ram and Dodge products"

I've had not a single dealership ask about what oil was used. It is very evident to see if a vehicle was maintained or not.

I used QSUD in a co-worker's car, just to make his wife feel better. Otherwise, it would have been ST.

I see nothing wrong with ST. Warren does provide oil for pretty much all the private labels, save for O'Reilly and a few others.

Just a follow up. Supertech meets requirements of spec for my new car but is not approved. I got same answer with other brands that i checked on. I will stay with approved oils at least until warranty is up. With that said if between Supertech and Valvoline conventional I would choose Valvoline.

I have said this before, in that I don't think it makes a difference as long as you are doing a reasonable OCI. Some say they would pay an extra $2 for the QSUD over the ST. Well, I average (4) oil changes a year in my two cars (mine and my wife's.) That's $16 a year in extra cost. I generally keep a car 8-10 years. That's a chunk of change. Will myself or my car actually know the difference at the end of the day?

Doubtful.

Hi all, I wondered the same thing about the quality of the generic brands so I tested some Meijer 0w20 to 14,200 miles (Warren oil, same as Amazon and Supertech I think). I was very please with the results. See the post here: '03 Focus - 14K miles

Just a follow up. Supertech meets requirements of spec for my new car but is not approved. I got same answer with other brands that i checked on. I will stay with approved oils at least until warranty is up. With that said if between Supertech and Valvoline conventional I would choose Valvoline.

That makes no sense picking the one which meets less specs and does not meet a higher standard and the Chrysler MS is a recommendation not a warranty requirement I spoke to Chrysler directly and indeed it's a recommendation. Thus any blender stating they meet it along with API certification in the recommended grade and maintained at the recommended intervals satisfies the warranty.

Originally Posted by dave1251

That makes no sense picking the one which meets less specs and does not meet a higher standard and the Chrysler MS is a recommendation not a warranty requirement I spoke to Chrysler directly and indeed it's a recommendation. Thus any blender stating they meet it along with API certification in the recommended grade and maintained at the recommended intervals satisfies the warranty.

Say WHAT? How does an oil company go through certification process for an auto manufacturer which takes 2 years to complete have lesser quality than someone who didn't ? I have worked on heavy equipment as well as autos and never had a problem with an approved oil. Havoline is also cheaper. If you are talking about dexos then I am not concerned about that as my vehicle doesn't belong to GM family. As I said over and over if I don't see approval I don't buy. You make the decision for the oil you "believe" is best.

I was in the Niagara Falls NY Walmart this morning and noticed that Supertech synthetic is now only $14.37 for 5 quarts! I saw 5w20 and 5w30 at this price there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back