Charger tranny fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
In December I will getting the trans fluid changed on my Charger with the NAG1 trans due to warranty constraints. This change is due to time not mileage. Every 5 years or 60k miles which ever comes first. The oil will only have about 40k miles on it when December comes.
I got in touch with the dealer and they will do a full fluid exchange for 180 or a pan drop and filter replacement for 170. The pan drop would keep about 3 quarts of the old fluid still in there. They will do a full exchange and filter change for 408, that's not happenin'. So between the two options I think the pan drop and filter change would be more beneficial, what do you think?
Doing it on my own isn't an option as I live in an apartment and don't have the space nor tools to do the pan drop myself.

First time I always recommend the pan and filter deal, as there's debris in there.

Then alternate between flush and pan drops.

Note that in my 300 the manual has two time periods. 30k and 60k miles, schedule A and B. If you want to keep the car long term it may be beneficial to change it at 30k miles

I keep seeing conflicting statements about both methods. Those who favor flush say that a pan drop does not remove all of the fluid. Those who favor pan drop say that the flush may loosen metal shavings and sludge. On my Focus I did a flush at a shop 50K then a pan drop myself at 100. I figured at 50 the flush would be sufficient but by 100 the filter needed to be swapped.

My current Hyundai has a 10/100 warranty so I will do transmission service at the dealer too and go with whatever option they recommend. It seems that flush is the preferred method at most places now because its less labor intensive.

Just remember it's the term "flush" that's very misleading.

The machines are totally passive. Nothing but two containers, one dirty oil and one clean. Your own trans pump does the work and it's all the exact pathways it would flow in use.

So what can happen? No 'flushing' is done, just new fluid fed in as old fluid flows out.

A good reason to do the pan drop first is that any new AT is likely to generate some crud during break in.

Originally Posted By: someguy
I keep seeing conflicting statements about both methods. Those who favor flush say that a pan drop does not remove all of the fluid. Those who favor pan drop say that the flush may loosen metal shavings and sludge.

The "flush" doesn't remove all the fluid either. If you had a different color fluid going in, you'd see that a certain percentage of your brand new fluid starts coming back out WAY before all the old fluid is gone.

Count me as a fan of the pan-drop method.

Count me as a fan of the flush.
I've done my own flushes using the tranny's pump for years on my '95 Toyota T100. Disconnect the outlet line at the trans cooler/radiator, run it into a bucket. Start engine. Wait until two quarts have pumped into the bucket. Shut off engine. Put two new quarts into filler. Repeat until the output color and the input color match. Reconnect everything. Check fluid level. Easy!
My truck has 422,000 miles on it and the tranny is doing quite well.

Originally Posted By: chestand

My truck has 422,000 miles on it and the tranny is doing quite well.

Mostly highway miles without much shifting?

I'd do a pan drop the first time.. the first 20000miles causes the overwhelming majority of trash floating around in there.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll go with my original thought and drop the pan.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
First time I always recommend the pan and filter deal, as there's debris in there.

Then alternate between flush and pan drops.

Note that in my 300 the manual has two time periods. 30k and 60k miles, schedule A and B. If you want to keep the car long term it may be beneficial to change it at 30k miles

01.gif

All 3 points made.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back