Changing to full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Toyota Camry with 62K miles which has always had synthetic blend run in it. I am thinking of changing to full synthetic. Someone said that if you do this after 50K miles there could be problems with sludge breaking loose. I thought that could possibly happen with a conventional oil. Is there anything I need to be concerned about?

What engine in the Camry, and have you owned it since new?

The 2.4 of any vintage will be fine. I'm not sure when the Camry V6 went from 3.0 to 3.3. It's the 3.0 that had sludging problems. The only way I would worry is if you just bought it, and it had questionable maintenance history.

If you have been changing on the short side of 7500 with any half-decent oil you'll have no problems.

I have no reason to think the engine is sludged up. I always used Mobil Synthetic Blend and few times Kendall Synethic Blend and the OCI was every 5K. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't taking a chance in switching.

I have no reason to think I'll have sludge, I just wanted to make sure I didn't do any damage by changing after 50K. I've always used Mobil or Kendall Synthetic Blend.

As long as you are following the oil change interval outlined in your owner manual, then there should be no sludge in the engine. Most modern oils are pretty heavy on the detergents even with conventional oil. The only way you are going to have sludge is if your pushing your oil change intervals to the limits.

Now, I am not a synthetic expert by any means. I have grown up in a mechanic family though. Some engines simply don't like synthetic oil for some reason. My brother in-law, a mechanic, said some of the late 90's Ford Explorers hated synthetic oil for some reason. He said they would ping and skip, especially going up hills. Switch it back to conventional, no problems

Long story short, this shouldn't be a problem with your car or any newer cars.

Last edited:
Some engines are sludge prone by design flaws, and do get sludged up even following the recommended OCI's. The good news is there are lists of these engines. For these engines special attention and extra care is needed, especially if they are used in short hops and don't see the highway.

Originally Posted By: 360kid
As long as you are following the oil change interval outlined in your owner manual, then there should be no sludge in the engine. Most modern oils are pretty heavy on the detergents even with conventional oil. The only way you are going to have sludge is if your pushing your oil change intervals to the limits.

Now, I am not a synthetic expert by any means. I have grown up in a mechanic family though. Some engines simply don't like synthetic oil for some reason. My brother in-law, a mechanic, said some of the late 90's Ford Explorers hated synthetic oil for some reason. He said they would ping and skip, especially going up hills. Switch it back to conventional, no problems

Long story short, this shouldn't be a problem with your car or any newer cars.

I've never heard of an engine pinging or missing because of engine oil.

I've heard it from a few different mechanics. I don't know why, I'm definetely NOT a mechanic.

Originally Posted By: CDF41
I have a 2005 Toyota Camry with 62K miles which has always had synthetic blend run in it. I am thinking of changing to full synthetic. Someone said that if you do this after 50K miles there could be problems with sludge breaking loose. I thought that could possibly happen with a conventional oil. Is there anything I need to be concerned about?

CDF41,

I've used Mobil 1 synthetic in my 89' Canry since bought new! I don't worry about it as I do my OCI's at regulat intervals. You should have no issues at all.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back