Changing oil this weekend !!! Anybody Else ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed mine and my girlfriend's oil 2 weekends ago-Napa house brand conventional and Proselect filters for both. I also changed the oil in my old MTD push mower-20 ounces of PYB straight 30 weight and cut the grass/weeds for the first time this season....

I probably will.

I was at Wally World today and found one of the elusive oil clearance shelves. They had 5 quart jugs of PYB SM-rated 10w-40 for $5.00 each, so I bought 3. I have read here where 10w-40 is really not the ideal oil because of the shear or whatever (I'm still a student of BITOG's Yoda-like knowledge base so I don't know what its called yet) but a buck a quart for current name brand oil was too good to pass up.

They also had one 5 quart jug of M1 green cap 0w-30 for $9.00, and I would have bought it except I couldn't think of anyone that uses anything close to it to give it to, and my ancient Lincoln would probably spontaneously combust if I poured it in there.

One other oddball oil was a 5 quart jug of QS (don't remember the weight) high mileage with Slick 50 in it for $5. It was SL rated and had obviously been sitting a while....

I still have 2k to go on the Accord and probably 2k as well on the Corolla. The Corolla is driven more often but not for long trip so it may be the end of summer before I change it. I do plan to change the Accord before May though.

I am car-pooling now to save gas money so I don't put as much miles on my car as I would have since we moved an extra 35 miles further from my work. I would love to drive by myself and enjoy the Accord more but gas price is the killer deal for me now. I have thought about getting a Civic or Fit to boost the gas mileage and do more leisure driving but I need truck more than a car. I can't stand parting with my Corolla since it has less than 110k on it and I know the engine and transmission are still extremely strong. They may make it to 300k. Call me crazy but I want to put a lot of miles on my cars myself but can't do it because gas aren't free. I thought about getting some vehicle with extremely high mile (diesel Mercedes or American truck) so I can drive around with a 300k+ vehicle and brag about it. I may need a sale job or something.

Originally Posted By: Ike_Clanton
I probably will.

I was at Wally World today and found one of the elusive oil clearance shelves. They had 5 quart jugs of PYB SM-rated 10w-40 for $5.00 each, so I bought 3. I have read here where 10w-40 is really not the ideal oil because of the shear or whatever (I'm still a student of BITOG's Yoda-like knowledge base so I don't know what its called yet) but a buck a quart for current name brand oil was too good to pass up.

They also had one 5 quart jug of M1 green cap 0w-30 for $9.00, and I would have bought it except I couldn't think of anyone that uses anything close to it to give it to, and my ancient Lincoln would probably spontaneously combust if I poured it in there.

One other oddball oil was a 5 quart jug of QS (don't remember the weight) high mileage with Slick 50 in it for $5. It was SL rated and had obviously been sitting a while....

I would buy M1 0W30 for less than $2/qt and find a way to use it later.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Ike_Clanton
I probably will.

I would buy M1 0W30 for less than $2/qt and find a way to use it later.

Yes. My local WM had 3 jugs for $9.50. Now they have zero.

Heading out right now to change the oil in my Chrysler. Rotella T5 10w30 going in.

Today i am changing the oil on my mom's Chev Colorado. the crankcase is 6 liters so I will be using the following blend.
4.4 L of Motomaster Supreme oil i got on sale.
.95 L (1 quart) of carquest conventional
.65 L of Supertech conventional to fill er up.
All in the 5W30 Flavour with an AC Delco Ecore i got in walmart in buffalo.

Tomorrow on my GF's Focus I'm going to use PYB 5W30 with a carquest Red filter.

I changed mine last night. Was hesitant to change. I am leaving today for a 1300 mile round trip. The oil has been in since early December. Only about 4k miles, but lots of short distance driving in cold weather. Oil smelled very much like fuel, so I changed it out. I am rethinking doing extended drains in severe conditions. At least during the cold weather. May try to do extended drains for the spring and summer, but change out sooner during the colder temps.

Did mine on Monday (3/22). '07 Mazda6 3.0L 6qts. MC Full Synthetic 5w20 and a MC 820S filter. I also put one-o-those Gold Plug magnetic drain plugs in. We'll see what happens.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
What a coincidence as today/tomorrow I am changing out the Petro Canada 0W30 and replacing it with almost 5 year old true GC (09 Traverse; 3.6L DI engine).

Nice choice, I would be interested to see how the old green GC does in the 3.6L DI engine compared to Biosyn and some of the other boutique oils that were roughed up by this engine.

Just dumped the winter Redline 5W30 in to try Penn Ultra 5W30. To early to tell but Im looking for something Cheaper to run in my Mustang and Ranger. I have been running PP in the Ranger and I have been very happy.

Originally Posted By: el_zorro
Nice choice, I would be interested to see how the old green GC does in the 3.6L DI engine compared to Biosyn and some of the other boutique oils that were roughed up by this engine.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am hoping it will tame this engine. Come back in....August probably to see a UOA. I am hoping at that time to just draw a sample (i.e not a full drain).

Looks like I may be doing another M1 0w40 oil change on Wednesday. Dad has been stocking up, and since he's pulling another trailer down on Monday, it sounds like he wants to change the oil again. Too early IMHO, but it's his vehicle.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
I change oil everyday, and I love it.

Just quit my oil/tire changin' job of 2 years the only thing I'll miss is the guy's that I worked withtire changes for 8 years and still enjoys coming to work every day.

Back to the topic, pending weather conditions, I will be dumping in 5 qts of MC5000 tomorrow on the old caprice's 305.

I will be doing an oil change on my '09 Nissan 370Z this morning. I did the first change at 1200 miles and used the expensive ($12.99 per qt. plus tax) Nissan ester oil and a Mobil 1 M110 filter which is slightly larger than the standard size filter. The car just turned over to 5,000 miles, I pulled the drain plug last night and have some Redline 5W30 and another Mobil 1 filter ready to go. There has been a lot of discussion on this site and others regarding the VQ37 engine and the high oil temperatures that seem to go hand in hand with the design so I think Redline will be a sound choice. I don't plan on OCI's past 5K miles though, figuring this engine, Sou.Cal temperatures and frequent stop and go traffic will be hard on any oil. The Redline was only about $9.95 per quart delivered so it's more than $25 cheaper per oil change than the Nissan ester which isn't recommended for long OCI's anyway. I'll try the Pure 1 filter next time if I can find one, the Mobil 1 filters are expensive, running about $12.99 each.

Just completed my spring oil change on the Forester yesterday. Changed my winter tires for all seasons last weekend. I'm all set!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back