Change type of oil or not.

What you are doing is working well, so keep doing it until you have a reason to change.

I hate it that marketing departments have been so effective with high mileage oil campaigns. As stated, HM oils are designed to treat *symptoms* associated with higher mileage. Every vehicle that stays on the road will eventually show these symptoms, but not right at 75k or whatever number is on that HM oil label. I don't even buy into the preventive argument for using HM oils. (I want to state that the vast majority of modern vehicles doing normal service and getting basic maintenance will likely go 150k or more with few or no issues including leaks, but surely someone will bring up intake valve carbon on DI engines and some other exceptions irrelevant to the conversation, just to prove me wrong.) Anyway, my Tacoma has 170k using synthetic oil, with no leaks or noises or issues of any kind. Who knows how much longer this thing will chug along before it starts showing symptoms of age or high mileage? I will use HM oil when I have a reason to switch, but not before then.

Thanks all. Next oil change, which will be at 101k miles, I'll probably finally switch over to full syn, but will pass on the high mileage part. Unfortunately, I don't change my own oil. I did in the past, but not now. For one reason, my truck had a 100,000 mile extended warranty so I always had the dealer do it. That's not a problem now since the warranty ends before the next oil change (every 5k miles).

I'll now have to find a place that will do a good job at a reasonable price. I have way too many aches and pains, especially in my knees to want to be crawling under a truck.

Back