Change out oil after hard winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Hello Everybody,

My sister came over yesterday and asked me if we should change the oil in her 08 Acura TL 3.2L that has alittle over 5000 miles on the PUPP 5W20 with 30% remaining on the OLM due to our cold winter? She primarily only drives about 5 miles a day. We had a very cold December and January this winter season.

Dale

Some days I put on less than that and most of the the time the engine never gets to operating temp in the winter, I consider that extreme severe service. I would wait until the beginning of April to make sure the cold is over and change it.

I would also consider conventional and go to 6 month OCI's since she is a short tripper.

My mileage is similar to the vehicle in this post....round trip commute to work is 6 miles per day. Not many other miles outside of those.

I always thought short tripping was bad on any oil, but worse on conventional (condensation and all since it never gets up to temp, etc). I was planning on a 6 month OCI, but NOT with conventional oil

Can the PYB hold up to short tripping for 6 months at a clip? Was expecting to use PP or PUP, but PYB is just so much more available it would be easier.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
I am going to use the car today and put about 40 miles on it where I have to go. Was gonna change the oil when I get back with the new Shell Rotella Multi Grade 5W30. I have used nothing but a 20 grade in this engine since she purchased it in 2012 with 87,xxx miles on it. Does that sound like a good plan or stick with the 20 grade motor oil? I do have a 5 quart jug of PYB 5W20 and 1 quart of PUPP 5W20 out in the garage. Was going to mix 3.5 quarts of PYB with the one quart of PUPP. What do use suggest?
Dale

Sounds OK to me. Just like a top-up mix on the road. No biggie
smile.gif

My parents had a 1993 Honda Accord ran conventional oil and Honda said run 7500 miles no thank you. I change mine out every 5 to 6. Oil is cheap to keep an engine clean if you're going to keep the car forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back