Change oil filter every other oil change??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always change the Oil & Filters in my cars every 3-4k,max.I know that Oil is made much better than in years past AND that filters are better too,but engines also put greater stress on oils & filters than in the past.

With so many engines w/turbo,Supercharged and with redlines increasing,I like new,clean oil and filtering media on my side at every OCI.

An oil & filter change,with a full syn oil and good grade of filter is still fairly cheap at( $30-$40).Engines are not.

\rv85

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RV85
I always change the Oil & Filters in my cars every 3-4k,max.I know that Oil is made much better than in years past AND that filters are better too,but engines also put greater stress on oils & filters than in the past.

With so many engines w/turbo,Supercharged and with redlines increasing,I like new,clean oil and filtering media on my side at every OCI.

An oil & filter change,with a full syn oil and good grade of filter is still fairly cheap at( $30-$40).Engines are not.

\rv85
Definitely fail safe logic!
thumbsup2.gif

I must be the oddball.
Sometimes i will just change the filter after 2500/3000 miles.
Then do a complete oil/filter change after another 2500/3000 miles.
Specially if i'm using synthetic oil.

$3.65 for a FL1A at wallies is cheap cheap cheap!
(realllly need to find another Casite dealer though.
frown.gif
)

On one vehicle I owned, changing the oil filter as a royal pain so I would change it every other oil change. The filter/OCI in the factory service manual was 7500 miles for the use conditions I had, so I would change the oil every 4K with a filter change every other time – basically still meeting the factory specs. Never had any issues doing this, and some manufacture's actually list a filter change interval different than the OCI. Used the OEM filters also.

I change the oil at 5K and the filter at 10K. Why? Based on the UOA's to date, the results haven't given me any reason not to. Since a 5K interval doesn't really stress the oil too much, I just feel comfortable with this routine. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: steve20
Lawd knows I've tried-but just cannot get myself to leave an old filter on there.

Steve

I can't do it either, and I'll tell you why.
Back when I was right out of high school, I worked at a service station. There was a regular customer who had his oil changed there and he would change his oil every 11,000 miles. Why 11,000? I have no idea, but that was his number. On top of that, the guy would change his oil filter every other time, so the oil filters would go for 22,000 miles. The car was an AMC Spirit with the straight 6. The guy would put almost 1000 miles a week on his car, so it wasn't sitting around all the time and it wasn't in rush-hour traffic.
Anyway, we would change oil in the car and after you start up the car and then shut it off to check the oil level, it would be so black you couldn't see the markings on the dipstick. This was even after putting a new filter on it.
This era would have been in the early 80s.
Whenever I think of how dirty that oil looked, I think that oil filters are cheap.

This is a bit off topic, but I'm wondering if manufacturers recommend changing the filter every second oil change to prevent more frequent dry starts? This is usually my worry. How much "damage" is caused by the engine running dry for the few seconds it takes to fill the filter with oil?

When I change my oil, it makes me cringe just thinking about turning the key and starting the engine. I crank it a good couple of times, to fill up the oil filter somewhat, before finally starting to engine. This way, the oil light doesn't stay on for a few seconds after starting the engine...in fact, the oil light goes away immediately after the engine starts.
thumbsup2.gif
I've tried starting the engine straight away as well, and the oil light stays lit for 5 seconds or so.

There's very little load at idle, Falcon. Most engines barely create enough power to stay running at idle. Remember, ADBV's aren't there to keep the filter full ..at least in concept. A few engines may have found it advantageous to use better ADBV's to keep the customer complaints down, but the never were required to hold. They just slow the back flushing of the media. Just about every nitrile ADBV filter will fatigue between 3k-5k and let you know with start up rattle. Some engines just don't let you know it. Some engines let you know it quite well.

Last edited:
I typically change filters with the oil (usually 5k). That said, I have run filters for two OCI's (M1, Napa Gold). My current M1 I plan to leave on for two mildy extended OCI's (7.5k), for a total of 15k miles. I plan to cut it open then, along with a bunch of other filters I have been saving up.

No need to change a quality filter early...

Originally Posted By: sayjac

One poster, IIRC it was Jim from Calgary said that the filter actually becomes more efficient with use. I found it hard to believe but I'm more open to the idea now than I was in the beginning.

True, as particles deposit in the filter, the holes in media become smaller. The filter becomes more restrictive, but filters more. Magically, cheap filter is transformed into Mobil 1 filter.

I always change the filter every other OCI. I also cut open the filters to check them when their done. I have yet to find a filter in bad condition.

If you leave filter on don't exceed OCI mileage recommended by manufacturer.

UNLESS YOU are driving in severe conditions, short trips, heavy towing, dusty conditions etc change THE filter.

Last edited:
I change my oil filter with every oil change, but my manual says to do 6000 mile oci's except under "extreme conditions" along with an oil filter change every OTHER oil change. If my '72 owners manual says that, i'd feel safe running a modern car and filter even longer than that.

I have been changing oil at every 10K miles and filter at 20K miles, per Honda recommendation. I wouldn't leave the oil filter in for more than a year. But I drive over 20K miles annually. So that works out fine. My 04 Civic had 90K+ miles when I traded in. I'm continuing the practice with my current 09 Fit.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I've done it occassionally when in a hurry (its winter and I dont want to get covered in slop) but not often. GM used to suggest the 'every other time filter change" in the owners manual.

Yeah, me too! But, most of the time, I change the filter at every OCI. From all of the used filters that I've cut open, I guess that I could have run them another OCI anyway because even after 6,000 mile OCI the cut open filter looked good. Makes me wonder, just how much dirt can a filter hold and still provide good flow?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

True, as particles deposit in the filter, the holes in media become smaller. The filter becomes more restrictive, but filters more. Magically, cheap filter is transformed into Mobil 1 filter.

Very interesting and it makes sense. I plan to change my 10-30 Syntec in Feb 2010, about 6 months from now (which will be one year). Should I replace the K&N oil filter then or could I leave it in another year? I only put about 3k miles a year on the car.

some people never change it...i think i can afford a 2.84 supertech filter though every 6k

Originally Posted By: Lurch

I plan to change my 10-30 Syntec in Feb 2010, about 6 months from now (which will be one year). Should I replace the K&N oil filter then or could I leave it in another year? I only put about 3k miles a year on the car.

I had a K&N on a bike for about 2 years, but it had very low miles on it. Oil was changed once between as you have asked above. I cut it open and it looked fine inside (ADBV was still soft), but still made me nervous to run it that long.

If changing oil once per year, I'd recommend changing the filter too. Even is the K&N is $10, it's only $10/year cost to maintain and feel good that all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back