Change it now or later?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at 1500 miles and will be taking a road trip.. about 500 miles of road. Was thinking thinking of doing first change at 2k miles. Should I do it before the trip or after? Generally, is it better to give it clean oil before a long trip or it doesnt matter as long as you're within the OCI?

New car? What is it? If a Honda ..no, leave it alone (it's kinda an ancient secret handed down from pre- feudal Japan preserved by Buddhist scholars). Anything else ...ditch that vile swill ASAP.

^^
Like Valvoline Synpower 5W-20
grin.gif

Honda insists on retaining the factory fill for good cause (or so I'm told by reliable, trusted, authorities on the topic). It's chuck full of vitamins and minerals that they feel are essential to the long, and care free, life for your engine.

It's twew! It's twew!

Leave it in. Honda I believe uses a supplement in their factory oil - for better/slower break-in.

I routinely have changed my new vehicle oils at 3.5K

I drive the "STILL-PURRING" rust-buckets to the junk yard 15-20 years later with 200-300K. So I must be doing wrong by not changing it at 200 miles eh?

Long trip? 500 miles on the road? That's peanuts. That's nothing. It's like an ant pimple on the sun's face. It will NOT make one detectable difference in the life of the engine.

2000 total miles is NOT time to change the oil, but do what you want, it's your car. But oil is a precious resource - we can't treat it like water. Come to think of it, we can't treat water like water anymore either, but I digress.

Leave it. It's fine. You have a filter for a reason and usually the factory filters on Honda's are good for 5k. If you are burning to change it, wait at least until 3k but I'd run it out to at least 4-5k. I did in both my post-2001 Honda's and no issues (that I know of).

I agree with Pablo. This is not the 1950's. With modern machining and metals leave your oil in per your manufactures recommened OCI. But this is your car do what you will.

Honda factory fill is supposedly Exxon Superflo 5w20 which has high amount of moly but thats about it. Either way you cant go wrong. If all or most of the 500 miles are highway, just keep the same oil since highway miles are the easiest on the engine. Take the trip, enjoy yourself and worry about the oil change after the trip.

I agree with those saying to leave it in. I don't think auto makers have anything to gain by telling owners to leave the factory fill in until X amount of miles. Not a single auto maker that i know of recommends dumping the factory fill early (early meaning 2k or less), although i'm sure someone will step in and correct me on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back