Champ PH820 011514ES1 cut & post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If nothing is eventful, I usually do not make a cut & post but, someone wanted to see some recent eCore cut and posts. Since these had not been recycled yet, it was easy.
smile.gif

Enjoy!!!
smile.gif

Oil change date: 07/29/2017
Miles on vehicle: 176428
Miles in service: 3046
Days in service: 56
Oil: Motorcraft Premium Synthetic Blend 5W30
Filter: Champ PH820

Champ Labs PH820

Date code: 011514ES1 08:34 --> January 15, 2014 08:34am

Combo valve was pliable. No issues noted.

Base plate interior. All the holes were smooth and did not cut the ADBV/Combo Valve.

Base plate exterior.

Leaf spring.

Combo valve, element end view.

Leaf spring end. Easy way to check the pleat spacing.

Combo valve end. Easy way to check the pleat spacing.

The seam was easy to spot on this one. Sometimes they can be hard to spot because Champ Labs turns the cut ends toward the core.

Element view #1

Element view #2

Element view #3

The end caps can be removed but takes maybe 90 seconds per end. Then you can do a visual inspection for metal fines and in this case,
I observed some small bits of carbon. The PH820 has 56 pleats counting the seam.

More carbon.

More carbon.

Old style cage with 4 sectors and 4 windows.

I have run eCores to 6K without issues. This run was short for cleanup purposes.

Yes that's the old style cage.

Looks fine to me. I have run a few of the new cage design ecores, and they all look fine when I cut them open. Still prefer the ACDelco Classic though.

Thanks for the pictures!

Nice C&P ... thanks! Engine looks to be pretty clean since there wasn't much carbon or other debris found in the filter.

When I get to the AC Delco PF1250, you will see quite a bit more carbon. Likely it is time to lengthen these changes out. The truck was short tripped a lot more than I thought before I took possession of it.

Those 3 cam chains seem to shear the oil down quickly. I am thinking this may relate to why I am hearing startup rattle about 2500 miles into a change.

And, you are welcome.

Looks fine. I'm still not enamored with the with the "combo valve" concept/design, but at the topic ~3k miles fci should be ok. If I used them, because of the combo valve I wouldn't go beyond ~5k miles/6months.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Looks fine. I'm still not enamored with the with the "combo valve" concept/design, but at the topic ~3k miles fci should be ok. If I used them, because of the combo valve I wouldn't go beyond ~5k miles/6months.

Thanks for c&p.

Agreed. The Champ PH820 uses nitrile for the combo valve. At roughly 2500 miles the engine would startup with rattle. Oddly I have had filters with silicone ADBV do the same. The oil’s viscosity may have something to do with it. The element paper is cellulose thus the 6 month / 5000 mile limit. For $1.50 each, they were not bad for cleanup purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back