Cessna Lycoming 0-540, 50hr, Aeroshell 15w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the second analysis I have had done on my cessna, the first one is only hard copy and is in the log books so I will dig it up some time this week to post the actual numbers. This is the original 1981 engine with around 1400 hours on it. I have put around 250 hours on it this year, wear metals have gone down as has consumption as I am assuming that the rings may have needed to be reseated after infrequent use over the past three decades. This sample had around 51hours of tach time around 60 on the hobbs, and I am running a tempest oil filter. Filters have all looked good upon breakdown and inspection. Engine is running better than ever, fuel consumptions are great as is oil pressure and power. Think I will take this one over hour TBO as long as the analysis's keep looking good.

Thanks

second oil analysis lane by bijanmaleki, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm no expert on airplane UOAs, but I'd have to think this looks pretty good. What kind of rpms does this typically turn in operation and how many HP is it rated for?

Thanks,

It reclines at 2400rpm and usually cruise at 2300. Rated at 235hp. It's the lowest rated 540ci lyc. The same design with changes in valve train, piston and heads its making close to 400 in other applications. I feel pretty confident with this engine thanks to it being so derated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back