Ceramic Cookware

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have Enameled Cast iron that works great, Stainless, Regular cast iron and a few Italian nonsticks for eggs.

For anything but Eggs I really like my Cuisinart 733-30H Chef's Classic Stainless 5-1/2-Quart Saute Pan.

What is this glue you mentioned?

Originally Posted By: accent2012
Originally Posted By: kschachn
What??? There is no "glue". The Teflon adheres directly to the aluminum, copper or stainless steel substrate. I used to do this for a living (not pans but laboratory specimens) so please explain.

And PTFE is one of the most body-inert substances on the planet. There is no metabolic pathway for absorption into the body. In no way is it poisonous in the bulk form. Please post a peer-reviewed study that shows otherwise.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
Stay away from teflon/caphalon/***on pots. It's not just the teflon/caphalon/etc. that's poisonous if ingested for a long time, but the glue that holds them together! The glue is much more toxic!

The point I was making was that cooking under high temps with these products can release who knows what into the food. It's not just the teflon/caphalon, but whatever is in the metal. Not all metals are equal as there are many grades out there - some have higher heavy metal content than others. Also, not everyone knows how to properly use these non-stick items properly, such as using metal utensils or scouring pads to clean them can lead to this stuff coming off rather quickly. Over time the coating wears off under normal use and is meant to be replaced. The next question which I don't know the answer to is how does the body get rid of this product if ingested? It is inert, but mass takes up space, so how does one get rid of it? Studies have shown that people who work with this stuff tend to have elevated levels of it in their blood stream. Also, the use of PTFE without PFOA is very recent and while PFOA free teflon is being sold in the USA, many manufacturers are likely selling the old stuff in other countries where regulations have yet to take place. There's more to it which is what I was trying to get at.

Regardless, improper use of these materials can make these unsafe to some degree, such as overheating the material. Also, comparing the use of teflon in a regulated/controlled environment, such as medical industry/lab work to an unregulated market such as cookware it's not really fair because these cookware manufacturers do not have to fully disclose their methods, ingredients they use and sources of their materials. I've seen $20 non-stick skillets warp in front of my eyes when exposed to medium heat on the stove. I've seen "stainless steel" sauce pans emit a strange smell when boiling water. Consumer products can be very dangerous and very difficult to hold the manufacturer liable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back