Screaming Hot Cast Iron Steak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this technique in a recent issue of Cook's Illustrated and recalled years ago when I tried this stove-top with rather disappointing results. A key difference they pointed out, is to thoroughly and evenly heat the iron skillet to screaming hot in a 500°F oven, instead of MAX on a stove. THEN bring it up top, over gas/electric set on med-high and go from there.

Makes sense as heating in the oven insures even heating of the skillet because the heat comes from all directions, rather than just the bottom. Turns out that cast iron can & does have significant hot spots due to both its construction and material when solely heated on a stove. Aluminum is much more even and consistent and a better conductor of heat. Once hot though, iron will hold onto it far longer.

I must say I was most impressed with my tasty experiment. My 10" 30yr old well seasoned cast iron pan went into a 500°F oven on the lowest rack for about 20min. while I prepped a T-bone steak with salt & course cracked black pepper. (Put about a TBLSPN of whole black peppercorns into a stout plastic bag and crack them using a mallet, skillet, hammer, etc.) CI recommends a 1-1/2" steak. Mine was about 1", maybe 3/4" in spots.

I removed the screaming hot pan, set it on a pre-heated electric coil element set on 8/10, added a few tablespoons of corn oil, which quickly began smoking, then added the steak after turning on the stove vent.

Two min/side resulted in an interior temp of about 100°F. So back into the skillet for one more min/side. About 125°F now. That's it! Onto a wire rack while I prep'd a pan sauce of shallots, butter, cream and thyme. Didn't have cognac, so I went with a bit of red wine. This was done in no-time-flat as the iron was still plenty hot.

Result? Fantastic! Nice crispy outside and still red & juicy inside. Even on a relatively thin steak, which is far too easy to overcook. Steak Au Poivre just can't be beat. Only used one pan so clean-up is minimal.

A compound, herb butter would also make a great topping.

This method would also work great outdoors, with a wood fire, with the skillet set right down into a glowing bed of embers. After all, this is what cast iron was made for. Bake some potatoes in the coals, grill some bread, enjoy some wine, eating by a warm fire on a cool evening. Food always tastes better outdoors.

I'm going to try this technique next time I grill indoor steak burgers.

Give this a go over Christmas if you tire of bland turkey!

Reminds me of a recipe a coworker told me about with salmon. After pan is hot, place a piece of salmon, skin side down in the pan. Then after so many mins remove with spatula which leaves the skin behind in the pan. Of course then the kitchen stinks like fish afterwards.

Thats how I roast a whole chicken, Heat a cast iron to 500, put chicken in it and cook 25 minutes at 500, then lower to 325 until done.

Absolutely foolproof.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Thats how I roast a whole chicken, Heat a cast iron to 500, put chicken in it and cook 25 minutes at 500, then lower to 325 until done.

Absolutely foolproof.

I wonder if chicken under a brick would do well like that. Wrap brick in foil and place on top of chicken and follow the directions that you mentioned. I remember Macaroni Grill had a dish like that.

that's how Alton Brown did it on Season 1, Episode 1 of Good Eats."Steak you Claim"

Boneless Ribeye, 1.5" thick
chuck the cast iron into a cold oven, pre-heat to 500F.
once the oven is up to temp, park the pan on a burner on high for another 5 minutes.
liberally apply salt and pepper to both sides of the steak with a little canola oil.
slap that meat on the hot pan. leave it be for 30 sec. Flip, repeat.
put it back into the 500F oven for 2 minutes. Flip, Repeat.
remove from pan. rest under foil for 2-4 min.

in his new book he takes a similar approach to Turkey, cooking a 12 pounder in a cast iron camp oven(big Dutch oven) in a 500F oven. has (3) 20 minute sessions at 500
after first brining the bird for 36 hrs, places it into the hot cast iron for 20 minutes, does something, 20 more minutes, something else, another 20 minutes. Fully Cooked 12lb Turkey in 1 hr of cook time.(that one's not as exact, as i don't have the recipe memorized yet..)

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Reminds me of a recipe a coworker told me about with salmon....
I used to regularly blacken fish with cajun seasoning like this. I'd heat the iron skillet on MAX (which warped it over time), then take it outside over a white gas camp stove to cook. Worked great, save for warping the skillet.

Too bad I didn't even think of heating the iron in the oven......
33.gif

The fish would never stick though. Smoked like crazy.

It's surprising what you can do with cast iron. I like to make cast iron pizza-crank the oven up to 700 degrees and the cast iron makes a near perfect pizza.

Remember no matter what method used always start with a steak that has been brought up to room temperature before cooking.

• Oven only goes up to 500°F, but it'll do. Iron skillet pizza sounds great!
  • I disagree: A cold thin steak won't overcook when char'd like this.
  • Didn't create THAT much smoke! Outdoor vent hood and cracked open window are key.
  • In my 38yrs of cooking never had a need for a fire extinguisher! Can't say the same for the neighbors though.......

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's surprising what you can do with cast iron. I like to make cast iron pizza-crank the oven up to 700 degrees and the cast iron makes a near perfect pizza.

Pop_Rivit, what oven do you use? i don't think the regular retail can go over 500.
Thank you

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: 123Saab

Absolutely foolproof.

I wonder if chicken under a brick would do well like that. Wrap brick in foil and place on top of chicken and follow the directions that you mentioned. I remember Macaroni Grill had a dish like that.

I dont see why not, as long as it doesnt get too flat to fit in the pan.But if its a big skillet, why not.

Probably could spatchcock a whole chicken in a big enough pan too. But I do that on the grill instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back