Central A/C [censored] out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
You used to be able to purchase " dry charged " R22 condensers for replacement installs . Do not know if they are still available ?

I saw these and I wish that I was able to do the install myself. When I was a younger man I thought that I wanted to train to be a HVAC tech but the $$ was a problem.
Seems like I spent all the money that I made on women, whisky and motorcycles, the rest I wasted.

Originally Posted By: TOMJ
The tech did not do a leak check and did not offer the service to us. He just topped off the R22 and then went in to his sales pitch.
Seems like most companies don't want to repair your system, they want to sell you a new system.

Yep. They are as bad as transmission shops. I would not go with one 15,000 BTU window unit, rather I would go with more numerous smaller window units. Unless your house is one big room, or something. Not only does it spread out the A/C more evenly, it also spreads out the electrical loads into different circuits (or at least it should).

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
We have a cape cod and have to put a window unit in one bedroom upstairs. There is not enough airflow up there to cool in the summer.

Yes in my townhouse the air flow upstairs is insufficient for A/C, and the return upstairs is near floor level, so the central air never sucks the warm air back to the air handler.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
The tech did not do a leak check and did not offer the service to us. He just topped off the R22 and then went in to his sales pitch.
Seems like most companies don't want to repair your system, they want to sell you a new system.

Yep. They are as bad as transmission shops. I would not go with one 15,000 BTU window unit, rather I would go with more numerous smaller window units. Unless your house is one big room, or something. Not only does it spread out the A/C more evenly, it also spreads out the electrical loads into different circuits (or at least it should).

The lower floor is combined living, dining and kitchen, approx. 510 sq ft.
we already have a 6,000 BTU window unit in our bed room.

Yep , find the leak . Repair if feasible .

I replace the Schrader valves in the service ports in my equipment as Standard Operating Procedure , preventive maintenance .

Many HVAC companies are more interested in selling new equipment , than repairing existing equipment . :-(

For what it is worth , my cost for 30 pounds of R-22 is about $ 450 . Take that for what it is worth .

I got charged $485 last year for service call, diagnosis, and 4 lbs of R22. No leak repair, never zeroed it in. Said might be the evaporator coil, not sure.

Last month my fiancee's unit had mouse damage to two 12 inch wire leads, they were yellow and went to the compressor contactor I believe. Wires were not chewed through, but damaged, and unit was running okay. But we felt better to have a tech come out and swap in two new wire leads. Texted a photograph clearly showing the two leads and the chew damage, to the tech's cell number given to me by their secretary or receptionist. Still got charged a $69 diagnostic fee. Then $135 to swap out the two yellow low voltage 10" leads. She got $10 knocked off the ticket for letting him place a yard sign with their company name on it.

A 15 year old system is not as efficient as a new system, just look at the name tag on the outside unit and add compressor and fan motor amps together and compare with the new equipment. Check with your electric company for rebates or incentives. Refrigerants don't wear out if the system is short there is a leak.
Window units are noisy and cost more to operate per btu. When comparing new equipment have to look at seer rating, warntees and if a gas furness % of efficiency.

New systems are more efficient (R-410A), but they require all new everything-line set, evap coil, and condensing unit-and they run at a LOT higher pressure. If your compressor was toast, or your coils were rotted out, I would say go for a new one-but not for just a dinky refrigerant leak (at least an undiagnosed one). This is the equivalent of a dealership wanting to sell you a new car because you got a nail in a tire!

If is impractical to replace an existing line set , the old one can be flushed out . The copper tubing is the same & can well withstand the higher pressure .

To me , it would all come down to pay back time . We do not need A/C for dehumidification as we live in a mostly dry climate .

Pay back depends on the electric rate you are paying , number of A/C days a year and cost of equipment and labor .

Also , as has been pointed out , parts for the newer equipment , should repairs be needed , can run much higher .

Look at it from a business perspective .

I like mini split systems that I can self install .

it's not cost effective to put repair money on a 15 year old r22 system, do some research, maybe on small companies with good reputation for a better price.

Im not sure if you were quoted a new furnace as well but if the furnace is working fine, just replace the condenser and the coil for a lower price. It is a common practice here in central FL, there are a few furnaces out there and they barely get used.

Last edited:
You used to be able to purchase " dry charged " R22 condensers for replacement installs . Do not know if they are still available ?

I saw these and I wish that I was able to do the install myself. When I was a younger man I thought that I wanted to train to be a HVAC tech but the $$ was a problem.
Seems like I spent all the money that I made on women, whisky and motorcycles, the rest I wasted.

Women, booze and motorcycles are much more important than a career in A/C repair...
smile.gif

Just keep the filters and the coils clean . Repair any leaks if they are repairable .

15 years is a short equipment life , even in Texas .

Now , I can buy equipment wholesale . And I can still do a DIY self install . ( But those days are probably coming to a close . )

So , my up front cost is probably different than most of you all .

Three bedroom split level a 1,350 square feet? If your HVAC system has just the one zone, window units would probably give you more even cooling throughout the house. It comes down to money. You know what I mean. Your upper level is always warmer in the summer, right? House with central air has better resale value, but not $6,000 better. Then again Georgia heat is tough. Also how long will you live there? Many things to consider. You likely only need a 2 or 2.5 ton unit. Your first quote is out of line.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Women, booze and motorcycles are much more important than a career in A/C repair...
smile.gif

All 3 can have a negative effect on your health .

How many people in your home ?

Mostly , my wife and I at our house .

Most rooms have their own A/C ( window unit or Mini Split ) .

We only run A/C in the rooms we happen to be in . Gives you the ability to " zone " the cooling .

What SEER on your old one? What SEER for the new one?

Not impressed if the tech didn't fill with dry Nitrogen and a little R22 to sniff. That's what should have been done.

The question really is if it's a lineset vs the unit.

Ave life of the combined units (gas and A/C) are 12-15 years. I also had a leak two years ago but the cost to repair was about 75% of the cost of a new unit with a 10 year parts and labor warranty. old unit was a 10 SEER new one a 14. the gas efficiency did not change just the A/C efficiency and of course the new refrigerant, not the now expensive R22. My combined unit a Trane was 4,500 for my first floor, about 1500 Sq Ft. I had a leak in my other unit, a heat pump but a sealant (put in by the service company) appears to have fixed that but it is 11 years old and the rust is forming on the air handler in the attic so its days are numbered as well.

My opinion, replace it as it is beyond the useful life.

Thanks for all the replies.
Got home yesterday and it as 78* in the house.
I did what I could as far as leak checking the soldiered joints and the Schrader valves on the outdoor unit. Can't really get to the evap coil without a lot of disassembly.
Went to Home Depot last night and bought a 15,000 BTU window unit the I will install today.
The unit has a 90 return window so that gives me some time to get more estimates.
Since the unit is 15 years old and should probably be replaced anyway, I may try some stop leak and top it of with some R22 that I found on Amazon.
The only problem is that the stop leak (Nu-calgon E-Z Seal), E-Z Dry and recharge kit (DIY Home and small appliance recharge kit with 30 oz of R22) cost around $330.00 and the stop leak may not work with a leak that is losing at least a pound in a week or so.

I'd recommend you find someone interested in repair rather than replacement. They are out there. I'd also check the service valves & their caps. Do the later have Teflon tape on the threads? Before paying for any more Freon, you need to find the leak.

FYI, my R-22 system is 28yrs old. Runs fine. No leaks. Only parts replaced are motor capacitors. Last time R22 was added was > 13 yrs ago. Your system is about half as old as mine. To me, 15 yrs doesn't sound old. If the evap. & blower haven't been cleaned in 15 yrs, that IS OLD (too long).

49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back