Suggestions about a mini-split a/c for a small guest cabin

How about a motel package style unit for your application? Been staying in lots of hotels they work fine mostly.

That is not a bad suggestion, but not in the cards. Here's why - the place is really heavily built. Going through the wall(s) or any window but one is impractical. Floor space is also at a premium in a 400sq ft room so the few hundred dollars to put all the interior hardware above the entry door is a fair trade. My mom would not accept any further encroachment on floor space and arrangement of the interior items.

We built this slowly over time with reclaimed pieces (a lot of the wood from a deconstructed Railroad depot in Puyallup, WA). It's not easy to modify stuff at this point - the trade off being worth it though. The place is unbelievably quiet inside so getting the pump as far from the interior space as possible is also desirable. not that the cost difference is immaterial to us (if it was, we wouldn't be AirBnB'ing it often), but the trade offis worth it.

IMG-3889.jpg
IMG-3890.jpg
IMG-3891.jpg

Just be aware of the maintenance with these mini splits. I have 5 in my home. You have to disassemble the air handler at least once a year to clean the rotor (which gets moldy). It’s not a super complex job but it does take some time.

Just be aware of the maintenance with these mini splits. I have 5 in my home. You have to disassemble the air handler at least once a year to clean the rotor (which gets moldy). It’s not a super complex job but it does take some time.

OK, I will look into that. Won't stop us, but I'll check what the maintenance on that is. My parent's have a mini in the main house but only for about two years. Mold is a problem here (way more than VA). I'll look into that and set a maintenance schedule for the climate. My dad may be aware of this but he didn't mention it to me and we've had some thorough discussions. Thanks.

Back