Center of a Baldwin B1416

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day I ordered a Baldwin B1416 and a Hastings LF483 filter for my wife's Ford Focus. The consensus on BITOG seems to be that Baldwin and Hastings are the same filter, just branded differently, since they are both owned by the same parent company. After I've used both of them, I plan to cut them both open and do a detailed comparison of the build and build quality, to confirm.

Anyway, to the point. The Baldwin B1416 arrived in the mail today. I opened up the box to take a look at it. I was quite intrigued by the center tube on this filter. I'm not great at photography, but I've uploaded a picture that somewhat captures what I saw. Has anybody seen a center tube like this before? It almost looks like it is plastic. It is an off-white color and hard. Thanks for looking.

DSCF3437.JPG

I have used Baldwin filters in the past but they all had the steel center tube with punched holes. Never have seen one like that before.
21.gif

Motorcraft are decent filters but I'm not interested. If I didn't use the Baldwin (or possibly the Hastings), I'd probably go with a Wix. My original post might seem like I'm complaining about the Baldwin design but I'm not really. I'm just looking for information on it. Hoping somebody can shed some light on the design.

Thanks,
Bryan

Is that a stand tube?
A tube a plastic in the middle so that if it is installed with the opening "face down" the filter stays pretty much full of oil.
There may be a perforated metal center tube that the media is attached to in there, just the stand tube is on the inside of it.

Or is that some kind of plastic/hard foam center tube?

Interesting!

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Is that a stand tube?

I've got an email into Baldwin to ask them for some information on it. I'll post back.

-Bryan

I've use a Purolator PureOne on my 03' Focus for four years now. Excellent filter...and I couldn't ask for a better filter for the 7500 +/- OCI.

will be interesting to see what baldwin says. either it is a stand pipe or baldwin has reversed engineered a hole-less center tube from a UFO.

laugh.gif
:p

Here is the reply from Baldwin:

Quote:
B1416 has a front-end check valve. Beyond this is the center tube which you are unable to see.

-Bryan

Interesting. Was going to say I have never seen this in any of the Baldwins I've used.

Is this similar to the filter that was posted a little while ago with a solid tube? Was some kind of check-valve or something, can't find the post....

Good question, I'm not sure. I'll be interested to see if the Hastings filter for this car has this same check valve. I'll post back after it arrival in the mail.

-Bryan

Found it!

In this thread it's called a "clean side ADBV", sounds like it could be the same thing....cross-reference matchs as well.

Is this something new or is it just me that seems to find it odd that nobody has seen this before?

Originally Posted By: cp3
Found it!

In this thread it's called a "clean side ADBV", sounds like it could be the same thing....cross-reference matchs as well.

Is this something new or is it just me that seems to find it odd that nobody has seen this before?

It's been seen before ... but hardly any filters use it. The vehicles that these filters go on must have an oiling system that self drains somehow through the clean side of the system ... otherwise all cars would be using these unique filters.

Just to follow up: The Hastings LF483 that I mentioned in my original post also has the same check valve. Down the road, I'll cut both of these filters open after having used them; and I'll do a more detailed comparison. But for now, showing the valve in both filters:

DSCF3456.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back