Cat 5 Cyclone hits Nth Queensland Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cyclone Larry. Winds up to 300kph. Many houses and Banana & Sugar crops destroyed. Amazingly it appears no deaths.

I hope all of the Austrailian members of BITOG faired well during the storm. Our heartfelt sympathies are extended to those who lost homes and property during the cyclone, but I'm glad to hear there were no deaths.

Does cyclone = typhoon = hurricane ?

I know the US fleet got hammered by a typhoon in '45 off Okinawa. I always thought a hurricane in the Pacific was called a typhoon.

Now, cyclone = what ? Besides the old HP Mercury :)

I'm editing this to say Allied fleet... as a tip to the Australian and British ships that were there also.

dkcase, yep, same thing.

Went from a cat 3 to 4 in a metter of hours, and was cat 5 before it hit.

EMA (Emergency Management Authority) have hit the ground running, and are one the TV making BBQ breakfasts for displaced persons.

No one killed? That is amazing considering the famous hurricane to hit southern USA... That is great news though. I have several friends in Australia as well (not here).
frown.gif

An Australian guy I know on another forum said this:

----------------------------------
The Cyclone hit at a place called Innisfale in North Queensland which is about 28 hours north driving time. Aparenmtly it has wrecked that little town and a place called Mission Beach. Haventy heard of any causalties as yet but Cairns and townsville not to mention places in between copped a fair battering. Looks like theres another one forming out in the coral sea so if that comes ashore it may hit a little further south. But fear not Austrealia is still here and the only time tyou hasve to worry is when you here a cooee off the coat of the Unitied States and can smell the Barbie cooking. Then you'll know we have been blown right across the pond and landed on your doorstep. And besides whats a cyclone,, all wind and no guts hehehe
--------------------------

Looks like they are all taking a light approach to this
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
After all these years, where is Lithgow, anyway?

About 80 miles inland from Sydney, and about 800m above sea level (we don't get many cyclones, but a bit of snow in Winter, and a few 105F plus days in Summer).

-

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
Looks like they are all taking a light approach to this [Razz] .

I think it's preparedness on the part of emergency services, and the people in the path of the cyclone leads the relief effort to commence operations smoothly and efficiently, and help the victims to help themselves.

"I think it's preparedness on the part of emergency services, and the people in the path of the cyclone leads the relief effort to commence operations smoothly and efficiently, and help the victims to help themselves. "
---------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, John Howard.

Groucho, a lot of the emergency services are SES, who are relatively local volunteer organisations. They are first response. Local water carters shipped that in.

Military kitchens, water, and rat packs were only about 18 to 24 hours away, and the likes of the Salvos had clothing, blankets etc. moving

QANTAS provided umpteen thousand airline meals for short term.

Banks have started donation accounts, one bank opening the account with $1M balance. They've extended loan repayments, and given people some months off payments for nothing.

Our Social Security system has been ammended to better assist those in the area.

The price of bananas has doubled as wholesalers triple their prices.

Howard's loving it, as everyone else is doing the work, and the attention is off his wheat for weapons scandal.

It seems that the old man did not evacauate from his caravan and no one knew he was still there until after the event.

From the news reports, apart from evacuation notices, some people were ordered by the police to leave their homes. They may just be thanking them they did. Total loss of house and belongings is one thing, lose of life another.

It bring up the issue of adequate insurance for your property. Unfortunately too many people think it wont happen to them. A fairly significant number of people do not have any insurance at all, many are underinsured.

As far as loss of life I think it would be a totaly differnet scenario if the cyclone hit a major town or city.

theguru,
insurance (or lack of it) drives me batty in these disasters.

I pay my $700.p.a. to just cover my property (fibro house and 50:50 mix of new and second hand furniture), and then we hav local fires.

A woman gets on television, having "lost everything"...the 4brm house, the tennis court, the stable and two horses, two cars etc...insurance was "just too expensive".

So now my insurance includes a "fire levy" to help cover these poor sods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back