Castrol synthetic blend vs Pennzoil synthetic blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter just bought a 1999 Honda Accord 4cyl.
I am considering one of these oils in 5W-30. Any thoughts as to which might be better? Also what is best filter for the buck? Thanks for all responses. gh

Just buy which ever one is cheaper. Either one of those will work just fine in the Honda.

Best filter for the buck, believe it or not........Wal-Mart Super-Tech, no joke.

Best filter PERIOD = Mobil 1...expensive though.

Oh, yeah:
welcome.gif
to BITOG!
smile.gif

My vote as best filter per buck: Purolator Premium Plus (not the top of the line Purolator, yet a great filter for little money).

Auto-RX that engine first with a fresh oil filter for 1500 miles.

Take an analysis of that Rx'd oil and use our services to fine tune that engine.

THEN I will tell you which oil to use based on the results.

Consider a 5w-20 and you'll get a blend at a conventional price !

quote:

Consider a 5w-20 and you'll get a blend at a conventional price !

Interesting point. Back in 2001 or 2002 when I first noticed 5W-20 motor oil being sold in Pep Boys I went home and did a search on Google and read that Honda was recommending the use of 5W-20 motor oil in some models where previously they were requiring the use of 5W-30. I believe the new rcommendations applied to certain Civic's and Accord's with the base model four cylinder engines. The recommendations applied retroactively as far back as about 1997. I can't seem to find the article where I read that.

quote:

Originally posted by hagerg:
My daughter just bought a 1999 Honda Accord 4cyl.
I am considering one of these oils in 5W-30. Any thoughts as to which might be better? Also what is best filter for the buck? Thanks for all responses. gh

More importantly, stay on top of your transmission fluid changes if this is an automatic. Honda has been having problems with the longevity of these 6th Gen slush boxes.

Mine was replaced at 112K even with frequent fluid changes using only the ATF-Z1. They extended the warranty on the 2000 and 2001 to 100K, but the problems affect all years (98-02) and both 4 & 6 cyl vehicles. Other years in this Gen have been handled on a case by case basis.

If you plan to keep this vehicle for the long haul, check the axle seals for leaks before passing the 100K mark. The differential carrier bearings seem to be a weak area.

[ March 31, 2005, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: mike1qaz ]

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
I agree that the two oils are comparable and I also agree that Purolator's standard Premium Plus filter is a value leader. Before you get all excited about the Champion Labs manufactured WalMart SuperTechs, have a look at this discussion on BITOG:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=002272

John

In a properly maintained engine you would never see the issues described in that link. That would be an example of the extreme and NOT the norm.

quote:

In a properly maintained engine you would never see the issues described in that link

I don't agree, but that debate is already being carried on under the main thread. In short, one guy who used to work for Champion Labs has been the main proponent of the blame-bad-customers viewpoint.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back