Castrol Syntec or PP 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm going to return the Castrol Syntec and get the PP.

I like having the GM4718M and HTO-06 specs, even if they're unneeded in my particular application.

Although Valvoline SynPower may have a slightly lower pour point on paper (-42 vs. -39 for the 5w-30) I still believe the PP will have better cold weather/starting properties (like I have to deal with that here where 20F is the lowest temperature normally seen most winters). And the PP is only a dollar more than SynPower here ($19 vs. $18).

I still am staying away from the "regular" Mobil1 5W-30/0W-30AFE offerings as I have found those noisier in other engines than the PP/SynPower oils. Whether it's due to lower density, or whether the perceived increase in noise translates to more wear (higher Fe levels) I do not know, but the possibility aggravates/concerns me enough to no longer be interested in Mobil 1, unless I increase my OCIs past the OLM point, once the warranty is up with say, Mobil 1 EP.

Thanks for the all the input. Consensus is not an easy thing to reach here is it?

Gary

I found that PP made my 4.9L Ford engine run quieter than Mobil 1 did. Not sure if it means anything or not, but when my engine runs quieter because of an oil, it is better than it making more noise.

I have been using Castrol products for the past 31 years and have had no problems.Well my dog got sick once but that problem was not oil related. And people ask me why I am not married. See if you can see the film Serious Man lets you in on seeking advice from others. Not always what you think will be the outcome. If you grew up in NYC it might help somewhat, but the message is there. Do not foget to vote. I know you gearheads took care of the clocks in your rides this weekend. We hope you did it, would not be funny that you arrived at work an hour early.

No, Run the oil. I have UOA'd 5w20 syntec in my Fleet Ford 5.4. I run PP 5w20 in my personal Ford Explorer 4.6 currently(due to price). I would trust eather to provide outstanding wear protection and see them as equal products with regular Mobil 1 .

Don't stress about specs that do not apply to your application.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
Tucson Five-O. How about neither. A better low cost oil
in my opinion is Valvoline Synpower. It is not all grp III
like the others. It's -42 C pour point and 4000 cP @ -30 C
ccs spec. prove this. It does carry the GM 4718 oil spec
that you want. It's viscosity of 10.5 cSt vs 9.7 cSt of
Castrol will not make much of a difference in fuel economy.
I would rather have a higher viscosity oil where you are
anyway.

Pennzoil Platinum is tested at -35C, rather than -30C (big difference) and has a viscosity of 5,150 cP vs the Synpower which is tested at -30C for that number of 4000.

Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline Synpower 5W-30's are both tested for MRV viscosity at -35C, where the Platinum does 14,800 cP, and the Synpower does 18,600.

PP 5W-30 has slightly better numbers for cold weather. The 100C viscosity of PP is 10.3, and Synpower is 10.5

PP wins IMO.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
PP, a better oil with no less lame marketing.

grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back