Castrol Syntec or PP 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
It's been a while since I last posted.

I drive a 2008 Chevrolet Impala with the 3.5L Flex-Fuel engine.

I routinely run Pennzoil/Chevron 5W-30 Dino following the OLM down to 0-5% which here in warm Tucson can be up to 12500 miles if all driving is warmed up freeway driving.

Although GM feels the Dino is adequate in this low output 211hp engine (no 4718 oil specd here), I figure a good Group III synthetic should give me a little more TBN reserve and cleaner engine, especially near the end of the OCI.

I wanted a thin 5W-30 for max economy, with good specs, and won't push the OCI past the OLM limit so Amsoil SSO wouldn't be cost-effective IMHO.

I'm Leary of the high Fe issue with Mobil 1 and again I don't think Mobil 1 EP (fine oil that is) is worth the $6-7 extra at WalMart if I don't keep it in for 15-18k (the same for Castrol Edge which is still going for $26.50 in my WalMRts)

Today I narrowed my choice down to two oils, Castrol Syntec & Pennzoil Platinum . I know that the Syntec is 9.7 st@ 100c. vs. 10.3 for PP.

Both are loaded with additives so both should keep this engine clean with the 10-12k OCIs I run (sounds long but within the proven limits set by the vaunted GM OLM).

So I buy the Syntec today partiaaly because thus WalMart was out of the PP 5W-30. Then I checked the specs and was surprised to not see 4718M. I know I don't need it but that spec along HTO-06 are nice protection regarding high temperature deposit protection which can't here in 110-115 summer weather driving up to Phoenix mjltiple times/ week. I know that my oil temperature probably doesn't get high enough to require it, but again it would be nice to have.

Should I return the Castrol Syntec 5W-30 for the PP 5W-30? What do you think?

Take care,
Gary

The Syntec should serve you well
Ive ran it in my GM for a few OCI and noticed that It ran a little quiter than Mobil 1 Im currently running Edge and plan on doing a UOA.

Castrol makes a great product. I just think they go overboard with thier marketing ads.

M1 0W-30 is recommended by Mobil for your application and might yield better fuel economy than either PP or Syntec.
Best of all, you could have gotten it for cheap after MIR, although the same is true of both PP and Edge.
Also, there is a current MIR on M1 EP, $10.00 back on five quarts.
WRT high iron levels in M1 UOAs, they are not universal, and many here suspect that they are really not high enough to be out of the noise level. Some quite experienced members here will also tell you that the UOA is not a good tool for determining which oil produces less wear.
I use M1 without hesitation, but then I do the same with PP and Syntec.

I'd go with PP, I changed last December to PP from Mobil 1 after 2 decades of using Mobil 1. My only regret was I didn't do it sooner. On a side note I scored some Egde on the cheap, and will be trying that some time in 2010.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd go with PP, I changed last December to PP from Mobil 1 after 2 decades of using Mobil 1. My only regret was I didn't do it sooner.

I'm just curious, why are you glad you changed?

Originally Posted By: JAG
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd go with PP, I changed last December to PP from Mobil 1 after 2 decades of using Mobil 1. My only regret was I didn't do it sooner.

I'm just curious, why are you glad you changed?

During that whole Mobil 1 5W30/iron debacle started by Valvoline my brother and I had asked Mobil a few questions via email. These were general questions asked in a courteous and professional manner. The attitude by their tech person was horrible, and a phone call to another tech guy was no better. I switched to PP, gained a quieter engine, and some extra cash. UOA reports on this board with PP were pretty good too, many better than Mobil 1 5w30. But I'm sort of a hypocrite because I won't pay for a UOA, unless I suspect a coolant leak I can't find with my pressure tester.

I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a flame war. For me it was more of a CS issue, and upon joining BITOG and reading for years I realized there were IMO better products, in my price range for this particular vehicle, and finally decided to pull the trigger when I was pushed over the top. Just an my honest opinion, that's all.

Tucson Five-O. How about neither. A better low cost oil
in my opinion is Valvoline Synpower. It is not all grp III
like the others. It's -42 C pour point and 4000 cP @ -30 C
ccs spec. prove this. It does carry the GM 4718 oil spec
that you want. It's viscosity of 10.5 cSt vs 9.7 cSt of
Castrol will not make much of a difference in fuel economy.
I would rather have a higher viscosity oil where you are
anyway.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Thanks demarpaint.

You sir are welcome, and I do enjoy your informative posts!
11.gif

Syntec, Synpower or Pennzoil Platinum will all do just fine in your application. Pennzoil Platinum has a bit of flavor of the month (or year!) status on BITOG, but there is little actual data in the public domain showing it to be superior to its main competitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back