Castrol Syntec Blend....trick stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay Castrol never ceases to amuse me.

Syntec = grpup III under the guise of being a M1 competitor

German Castrol 0w30/SLX = Wow good stuff

Then they have this Syntec Blend which apparantly produces great numbers over Syntec.

What with this company? *lol*

2nd question...is it perhaps that Syntec Blend happens to be a TRUE blend....4 & 5 groups inside?

Or some kind of great add pack?

Baffles me-

10W-30 Syntec Blend is A5 rated, which means it is good for extended drains. As far as I know, this is the ONLY blend to carry this rating.

I used the last of my Havoline dino stash this weekend. I am switching to Syntec Blend next oil change. $2 / Qt for an A5 oil? You cannot beat that!
smile.gif

I have used the 5w-30 in my new dakota since Dec. 29 and will drain it this weekend. It has been through several single digit starts and constant stop and go driving in cold weather. The uoa will only have about 2000 miles on it but so much has been short trips. It will be interesting how the oil has held up and how the wear numbers look. It seems to be a excellent oil.

I ran Syntec Blend for many yrs prior to finding BITOG. Then I got bit by the M1 snake and ran that for alittle while. (2 OCIs)

Back to the Syntec Blend and there I shall stay.
For 3k OCIs I find no rational benefit (at least to me) in running higher dollar synthetic.

Oh, the good UOAs here are proof enough for me.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
10W-30 Syntec Blend is A5 rated, which means it is good for extended drains. As far as I know, this is the ONLY blend to carry this rating.

Schaeffer's blends of PAO and top quality dino oil #701 5W-30 and #703 10W-30 are rated ACEA A3-02 and A5-02. I presently have 10,000 miles on the 10w-30 with an excellent analysis; I'll test again at 12,500.

Ken

[ March 08, 2004, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Schaeffer's blends of PAO and top quality dino oil #701 5W-30 and #703 10W-30 are rated ACEA A3-02 and A5-02.

Everyone needs to realize something: It is IMPOSSIBLE for an oil to be rated both A3 and A5. A5 calls for an oil with a max HT/HS of HS of >3.5. The two specs are MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE, so one oil can't be both. If Schaeffers is claiming to meet both, then something ain't right.

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
Seems to me since you mentioned 2 oils one would meet A5 and the oteher A3.

Fred...
smile.gif

Nope, if you look at the spec sheets he's linked to, they say that both oils meet A3 and A5.

quote:

Schaeffer's blends of PAO and top quality dino oil #701 5W-30 and #703 10W-30 are rated ACEA A3-02 and A5-02.

I should have clarified... I was only talking about the Wal Mart / Parts Store brands.

G-man is right... an oil CANNOT be both A3 and A5. As I understand it, A3 and A5 specs are similar, but the viscosity / HTHS requirements are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back