Questions about Castrol's MSDS info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

I've recently begun stocking my garage with German Castrol. I have long used Pentospeed 0W-30 VS but that's getting hard to find because it's no longer produced.

Anyway, I was snooping around Castrol's MSDS info and see things that I do not understand. Perhaps someone can explain some things to me.

Info below organized as follows"

Oil Type / Description / CAS # / Percent Composition

0W-30 Syntec with SPT (GC) / Base oil - highly refined / Varies / 15%-20%
5W-40 Syntec with SPT / Base oil - highly refined / Varies / 85%-90%
10W-60 RS / Base oil - highly refined / Varies / 20%-25%
5W-20 Syntec with SPT / Base oil - highly refined / Varies / 85%-90%

Can someone explain to me how the composition percentages vary so much? Am I to conclude that the 0W-30 German Castrol contains more PAO and/or esters than does the 5W-40?

Great site. Great information sharing. Thanks in advance,

Scott

MSDS stands for Material Safety Data Sheet, which outlines chemicals that are of interests to health/medical personnel when someone had reactions with it (e.g. ingestion, consumption, allergic reaction, etc.) to aid with the medical diagnosis and treatment.

MSDS does not list the composition of the chemicals used in the product, nor the specifics of any of them.

With that in-mind, you shouldn't use MSDS as a form to gauge the oil's composition.

Q.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Am I to conclude that the 0W-30 German Castrol contains more PAO and/or esters than does the 5W-40?

Yes. At least that has long been the understanding here, GC is GPIV based where the rest of the Syntec line is GPIII based.

Originally Posted By: Quest

MSDS does not list the composition of the chemicals used in the product, nor the specifics of any of them.

Q.

Not sure what you mean by this. MSDS states the hazardous chemicals contained in a material, only "chemicals that are of interest to health/medical when someone had reactions with" is not true. If a chemical is deemed hazardous it is listed on the msds.

It also DOES list the composition of the hazardous chemicals of a material in a % or ppm, or some type of measurement.

You can use a msds to gauge the composition of the base oil to a point if you have the CAS number and what base oils are classified under that.

BP has the HTHS # incorrect on the GC the last I looked at the TDS. Notice the PP on the GC. indicating a possoble high synthteic base content to help meet the long approval list for this lube. PP is not reliable but they typ only crypticly list < max spec for ccs and mrv.

Group 3 is "base oil highly refined". The MSDS you mentioned reinforces the mantra that 0w-x oils are generally comprised of Gr4/5 whereas the 5w-x generally have more Gr3 unless otherwise noted.

cp3 and BMWTurboDzl, thanks for your direct answers to my questions. This was what I was thinking but I wanted to verify it with you folks.

To All, thanks for your replies. Each has been helpful as well.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back