Castrol Syntec 5W30 in 05 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently purchased an 05 Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE engine.
I have bouhgt some Castrol Syntec 5W30 for the cars first oil change after the factory oil comes out at 1600km (1000mi). I will only be running the Syntec for about 3500km (2170mi). Does anyone know what the specs are on this oil? I've looked around but can't find much on it. I think with such a short drain interval the oil should more than suffice. For the cars third oil I will likely be using the new Amsoil XL semi syn for the rest of the cars life at 7.5km (4600mi) OCI's.

Input?

Thanks

API SM
ACEA A5,B5
GM 4718M
GM 6094M
Ford WSS M2C929-A
ISLAC GF-4
9.7 cst @ 100°C

That about all I could find. Looks a bit thinner than the SL version. It was 10.3 cst.

I would speculate that the Syntec and the Amsoil XL series share some similarities with regards to basestocks and additive sourcing.

I would not add the synthetic until 3500 miles. Allow more break-in to occur. If you're worried about contaminants in your factory-fill, replace with any name-brand conventional (dino) oil in the weight that your owners manual stipulates. If it allows you 5W-30, then use it.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
I would not add the synthetic until 3500 miles. Allow more break-in to occur. If you're worried about contaminants in your factory-fill, replace with any name-brand conventional (dino) oil in the weight that your owners manual stipulates. If it allows you 5W-30, then use it.

Well, I don't consider a Group III a synthetic to start with. Mind you I also don't believe in this long break in theory either. Something to consider, but I want a good oil in there, as this lean burn 1ZZ engine runs hot and can be hard on the oil.

Thanks for the tech specs on the oil. It seems a pretty thin at temp 9.7cSt, almost a bloody 20 weight. Hmmm, maybe I'd be better off with the Syntec Blend as it's a bit thicker at near 11cSt

Yes, but how much thicker is 1.3cSt?

I was wondering this the other night on my drive home from work, as often is the case a "20" weight is not far from what many "30" weights are rated at being at !00 deg. c. Put it another way, many "30" weights aren't far from being a "20" weight. Then there's many cases where a 30 will shear into the 20 range during a routine OCI, and prove satisfactory results upon a UAO.

Interesting.

Hi,

Same car as yours. Here is my few UOAs..

2005 Corolla UOAs

I just mailed off my almost 5k run of mobil 1 UOA to just see how it did with this oil.

I'll never run Mobil 1 in the car again. For 5k runs, I'll run Mobil 7500 for 1/2 the cost and hopefully not get the oil burn of Mobil 1!
rolleyes.gif

Stay tuned!
smile.gif
LOVE THE CAR! 20k miles in 8-9 months so far. Not a single problem.

My last tank was 44.68 mpg!
shocked.gif
I drove 65 mph for the whole tank just to see what it would do. My overall MPG is just above 41 mpg for the 20k.

I have 25k worth of Castrol Syntec 5w-30 that I'll be running it in sometime. BOught it for $3 qt on clearance.
tongue.gif

Also have alot of other oils that I've bought on sale. I'm going to run 3-4k OCIs on my Corolla since it's so easy to change oil in. Rather get the oils changed since I have to run max of 5k OCI until 60k miles.

But I think even after the warrenty is done with, I'll run a blend or good Dino. Worked well for my 250k mile jetta and it's still going well. I'm not going to spend $20 for a Oil change when I can do it for $5 incl filter using good safe Dino oil.. Just my 2 cents...
cool.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: And I'll keep this outfit long enough to prove me right or wrong!

The Syntec 20wt. is 9.0 cst. Syntec 5W-30 meets the GM 4718M for Corvette and the Blend and GTX do not.

I'm not familiar with this particular engine.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
The Syntec 20wt. is 9.0 cst. Syntec 5W-30 meets the GM 4718M for Corvette and the Blend and GTX do not.

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure what the GM4718M was all about. I tried searching and it did bring up a C5 Corvette page. Guess I should have clued in
grin.gif

There is some new uoa information on the Toyota Matrix with this engine. Recently posted. Check it out in the UOA section.

You're in Ontario. I would get XD-3 0W-30 at 12.2 CSp at 100C.

This is a thick 30 weight oil and probably cheaper than the Syntec you're considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back