Castrol Syntec 5w-30 v.s. Q-State HP 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having another oil debate with friends whether of the two rates the best overall - Castrol Syntec 5w-30 or Quaker State Q-Horsepower 5w-30. I've used both with great results. Folks have their brand loyalty and its hard to get them to budge and try something new to them. Please give me your opinions on these two oils - Which is better say in the cold flow rate area, stop and go city driving etc... Thanks.

The older Quaker state synthetic, before Q power, on the oil sheets, and in the oil analysis section, show it to have superp pour point, -49 degrees and excellent flash point... 450 degrees i belive it was, as well as a descent Moly and additive package, compared to castrol syntec.
Thats my 2cents

In normal service I believe either would work well. The only negative I've heard of Syntec(with the exception of GC) is it may cause slightly more varnish/deposits. How true this is I do not know. On the other hand I've only heard good things of the Q, and it costs a bit less than Syntec in 5qt jugs at Wallyworld(18.88 vs 21.97).

GC costs a bit more around here. It's worth the difference unless you have a situation that is the definition of light duty mostly highway, good weather, long trips, short oci's.

Originally Posted By: Brien
Throw 0w-30 GC into that equation and it blows away both of them, and its the same cost as regular Syntec

You could throw pretty much any Grp III+ synthetic and blow away regular syntec.

Where are you guys buying 0-30 GC I can't find it in my area
Auto zone was selling it but no more.
I have the last of what I had in my crankcase now.

Originally Posted By: Black Bart
Where are you guys buying 0-30 GC I can't find it in my area
Auto zone was selling it but no more.
I have the last of what I had in my crankcase now.

What part of Indiana do you live in? Most of the AZ's I frequent (which isn't frequently) in Indy still carry it as of a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RogerKlugerAus05
Deven - why do you say that Castrol Syntec is so poor in comparison? Do you have evidence is your opinion just subjective?
Roger

Just subjective and my experiences with the UOA's. Shows to have lower add levels and tbn retention is not great. Many UOA's shear as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back