Castrol Syntec 0w-30 GOLD GERMAN CASTROL, 5238 miles on oil, 1997 VW Passat GLX -VR6

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOLD IS GOOD!
fruit.gif

This is my second UOA done on this engine - prior analysis was done on Lubro Moly Voll-Synthese (5w-50) nearly 50k miles ago. That analysis along with assorted comments can be found in this thread:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001353#000000

I've used Lubro Moly until my last couple of oil changes - this test is from my second change using Gold GC, the first fill being changed after about 5,000 miles. I'm pleased, and will probably continue to use this oil as long as I can find it.

I've collected what I can for GC VOA results, but have found conflicting sodum results 14 and 4.

code:

1997 Passat VR6

Sump Capacity: 5.8 Quarts

Type of oil Lubro Moly Castrol Univ-Avg Castrol

Voll-Synthese Syntec Syntec

GC-GOLD GC-GOLD

Weight 5w-40 0w-30 0W-30

Date 03/07/04 09/10/05

Miles on engine 234074 281289

Miles on oil 7414 5238 0 - VOA

Makeup Oil 1.5qts 2.0qts

Aluminum 4 2 4
Chromium 1 1 1
Iron 15 10 17 3

Copper 2 4 5
Lead 12 9 4
Tin 1 1 1
Molybdenum 4 11 40
Nickel 1 0 1
Manganese 1 0 2
Sliver 0 0 0
Titanium 0 0 0
Potassium 0 0 1 12

Boron 89 12 61
Silicon 4 3 6 4

Sodium 3 4 4 14

Calcium 1938 1752 2353 1941

Magnesium 383 406 205 770

Phosphorus 772 730 787 903

Zinc 905 765 939 1157

Barium 0 0 4

TBN 4.4 7.6 9.03

SUS Visco @210: 70.7 68.9 12.1@100

Flashpoint: 380 390

Fuel %: 0.8
Antifreeze %: 0.0 0.0

Water %: 0.0 0.0

Insolubles %: 0.4 0.3

More Comments to come - will add to this post when I receive Terry's interpretation of these results.

2 Quarts of make up oil??? If thats the case it's no wonder contaminents were low. They all leaked out! LOL

quote:

Originally posted by f1forkvr6:
Actually, no major oil leaks (some seepage, but not enough to drop the oil level significantly in even 10k miles). VR6's of this vintage tend to use oil seemingly from the factory. Higher RPMs, and speeds will increase this usage. This engine does see RPMs exceeding 5800 fairly regularly, and my commute is about 65% higway driving (avg of about 80mph in my neck of the woods). Nearly all of this oil is captured and burned by the PCV system. A quart every 2500 miles isn't that bad for an engine known to use oil (factory specs tolerate a quart used every 1k miles as "normal")
shocked.gif

Now I'm sure the make-up oil helps the TBN, but I'm not sure it'll "remove" contaminants.

You're right. It doesn't remove the contaminants, it dilutes them.

Mike

The blow-by actually has a small impact (slight increase) on insoluables.

Regardless, the sump contains the same volume of oil, regardless of how new or old it is - if the contaminants don't leak out, they will be in the same concentration.

Ponder this - if you start with 2 gallons of salt water with a known concentration of salt, boil-away a gallon, and add gallon of fresh water, would the salt concentration not be the same?

I still maintain that the only thing the fresh oil materially helps with is TBN.

quote:

The blow-by actually has a small impact (slight increase) on insoluables.

Regardless, the sump contains the same volume of oil, regardless of how new or old it is - if the contaminants don't leak out, they will be in the same concentration.

Ponder this - if you start with 2 gallons of salt water with a known concentration of salt, boil-away a gallon, and add gallon of fresh water, would the salt concentration not be the same?

I still maintain that the only thing the fresh oil materially helps with is TBN.

You are not "boiling" away the oil. You are burning it away. Some of the contaminants are being removed by blow by and in turn are blown out the exhaust. If you are losing oil you are also losing contaminants. It's really that simple.

Perhaps my analogy is flawed, but I am not personaly worried that the oil-consumption is out of whack for this engine, nor am I concerned that it skewed the analysis to the point that it isn't valid (far from it). I'm happy with the results of this oil, and will continue to use it.

Recieved analysis from Terry, Nothing of major concern noted:

Excellent result on a HIGH mileage engine

Lead was slight concern for elevated bearing wear - but "not out of control from the total miles"

Flashpoint depleted a bit from blowby

Insolubles - normal but increased a bit because of the oil consumption.

Does that say 282k miles? If so I would say that indeed you have nothing to worry about with consumption. However, I would recommend going to M1 5w-40 (Truck and SUV) to decrease consumption. Other than that everything looks good.

Yup - 282k when sampled, 283K+ now.

Economy has remained consistent (18/24.5/29, city/combined/highway), performance hasn't suffered, idles smoothly, starts immedately ... I'm not worried either. A lot of miles on stock valve guides, but as long as it doesn't dip much further, I've got no compelling reason to pull the head and replace them.

I'm going for 400k
grin.gif

Purchased used with 91k miles (leased vehicle, mostly dealer maintained). I've only used synthetic since I've owned it - mainly Lubro Moly, with the occasional M1 when Lubro Moly wasn't available. Decided to try GC and so far, so good.

I agree. Due to the large amount of make-up oil, the numbers were skewed. The Fe number was probably at least 40% higher if it wasn't for the make-up oil.

Mike

Actually, no major oil leaks (some seepage, but not enough to drop the oil level significantly in even 10k miles). VR6's of this vintage tend to use oil seemingly from the factory. Higher RPMs, and speeds will increase this usage. This engine does see RPMs exceeding 5800 fairly regularly, and my commute is about 65% higway driving (avg of about 80mph in my neck of the woods). Nearly all of this oil is captured and burned by the PCV system. A quart every 2500 miles isn't that bad for an engine known to use oil (factory specs tolerate a quart used every 1k miles as "normal")
shocked.gif

Now I'm sure the make-up oil helps the TBN, but I'm not sure it'll "remove" contaminants.

The VR6 is a pretty stout motor overall.Well built!

Have you had to do any work on the timing chain assembly?

At 259k when it was time for clutch, for purely preventive measures (i.e. no symptoms of anything bad), replaced upper & lower timing chains, guides & tensioners. All were in good working order & showed minimal wear. My timing parts are the "new style" VR6 parts and held up well. Also, again for preventive purposes, I replaced the rear main seal at the same time. Other than that, nothing done other than routine fluids, filters, plugs, wires, etc ....

quote:

shocked.gif

I had a 1993 Passat GLX and a 1006 Passat GLX. I ran them on Redline 10W-40 and I drove them as hard as they could go.

I never had any significant oil consumption with Redline... maybe 1/3 of a quart over 7000 miles.

That is one of the reasons I like Redline, the lowest oil consumtion I've seen and also the lowest oil temps.

I used to hit the oil temp limit with Mobil 1, and never with Redline. Oil temps stayed much lower with Redline.

How many miles did you have on each of your VR6s? Did you do any UOAs? How did they look?

My oil Consumption appears to be decreasing with the 3rd fill of GC (first was Green, second - tested above - was Gold, and I am currently running Gold). So far, only 1/2 qt in the past 2500+ miles.

The VR6 engine is seemingly bulletproof for the most part with the exception of timing chains (I want to slap whoever decided to put them at the rear of the engine).

Mine just turned 75k, and has no noticable consumption in 5k intervals using M1 0-40, and 5w-40 T&SUV. Runs like a champ. I'm running 5w-40 Belgian Castrol right now, and plan to do a UOA shortly.

fiForkVR6 will probably hit the magic Half-million mile mark..All engines should be treated as well..
At around 100K the timing chain broke in my ex-VR6, doing some $$$$damage for the previous owner..
Very interesting that Red Line controls oil temperature better than Mobil 1....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back