Castrol Synblend 10w30 - change or leave it

Status
Not open for further replies.
so I am running the synblend in the Yukon with the M1 filter that I left on from the prior oil change. I have 6,800 miles on the synblend currently. OLM is at 18%. I am debating whether to keep it in and run down to about 5% or change it out. I have not had to add any oil so far. The oil I got during the great Autozone $1/qt sale, but this is not about $$ since I have plenty of oil stocked up. I am just curious what my blackstone analysis will be. Miles are about 75% highway (it is 24 miles one way to work). Hence, the question: keep it in or dump it?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
6,800 miles? Jeez, I would've changed it out a long time ago. You're just asking for varnish aren't you?

Why is that asking for varnish? The OLM is tuned for conventional.

Speaking of that, the recommended OCI for my Jag is 12 months/10k miles with conventional 5w30. I would do that as I only drive 7k a year, but since I only change the oil once a year anyway, synthetic seems like a cheap upgrade.

Originally Posted By: Torrid
6,800 miles? Jeez, I would've changed it out a long time ago. You're just asking for varnish aren't you?

Speaking of that, the recommended OCI for my Jag is 12 months/10k miles with conventional 5w30. I would do that as I only drive 7k a year, but since I only change the oil once a year anyway, synthetic seems like a cheap upgrade.

+1

Yes but the OLM is not tuned for engine cleanliness. The OLM don't know how much dirt and combustion by-products are in the oil.

Yes but the OLM is not tuned for engine cleanliness. The OLM don't know how much dirt and combustion by-products are in the oil.

Unless it's being short tripped which the OLM accounts for or you have a fitration problem/vacuum leak, I don't see how that could be a concern.

Unless it's being short tripped which the OLM accounts for or you have a fitration problem/vacuum leak, I don't see how that could be a concern.

There's no way to filter out 100% of the dirt that's going through your air filter; plus, gasoline don't burn 100% clean. There's also the problem with worn out chains of viscosity index improvers floating around in the oil. Ever see a blown off retread on the side of the road? Imagine thousands of those blown off retreads on a microscopic level floating around in your oil.

There's no way to filter out 100% of the dirt that's going through your air filter; plus, gasoline don't burn 100% clean. There's also the problem with worn out chains of viscosity index improvers floating around in the oil. Ever see a blown off retread on the side of the road? Imagine thousands of those blown off retreads on a microscopic level floating around in your oil.

I think you're a bit paranoid about it.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Why not take a sample now and leave it in?

If you sample now and leave in, you will solve your quandry about how long to leave it in, take care of the spirited discussion in the last several posts, and again allow retreads to roam the highways.

Why not take a sample now and leave it in?

If you sample now and leave in, you will solve your quandry about how long to leave it in, take care of the spirited discussion in the last several posts, and again allow retreads to roam the highways.

and I think that is the answer! Need to draw a sample - glad I have a fumoto

Look forward to the UOA, although I have a feeling it will be completely fine!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Look forward to the UOA, although I have a feeling it will be completely fine!
laugh.gif

Here it is

DIRK: From what we can see, this Castrol blend did just as good a job as the previous Pennzoil platinum. Actually, iron (from steel parts) is reading a little lower than before -- this level is more on par with what we were seeing back in 2012 and 2013. Not that the 25 ppm from the previous fill was a problem, but since iron came down on a longer oil run, the wear-rate (ppm/mile) was better this time around. No dirt, moisture, or any other contaminants were detected, and the TBN is good at 2.4, so the oil had active additive remaining. Try 9,000 miles next. Nice report!

OIL CASTROL 10w30 SYNBLEND
MILES IN USE 7,343
MILES 208,038
SAMPLE TAKEN 9/30/15

ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 16
COPPER 4
LEAD 4
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 14
NICKEL 2