Castrol Stop-Start oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by Zee09
It's a great dipstick walker too.
What's that mean?
In seeming contrast.... I notice all three brands of synthetic I've used (NOT including Castrol) so far tend to peel clean off some areas on the Toyota dipstick, somewhat like water sliding off wax. I never saw that phenomenon with conventional oil in previous cars.

I use a ton of it in every weight. It is hard to read at times on the dipstick because it likes to creep up on it after you pull
it out of the engine. In my vehicles it tends to be so clear that it is hard to see-read as well until it starts turning a gold color after several
thousand miles,

Originally Posted by Zee09
I use a ton of it in every weight. It is hard to read at times on the dipstick because it likes to creep up on it after you pull
it out of the engine. In my vehicles it tends to be so clear that it is hard to see-read as well until it starts turning a gold color after several
thousand miles,
Funny you should mention that. I pulled the dipstick on an '18 Equinox the other day, 0w20 dealer AC-Delco I presume, & it was falling off the stick, not clinging. Thought: Where's the polar slimey stuff?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
... I pulled the dipstick on an '18 Equinox the other day, 0w20 dealer AC-Delco I presume, & it was falling off the stick, not clinging. Thought: Where's the polar slimey stuff?
Interesting. That must be the same phenomenon I asked about, and nobody has explained yet. Would Magnatec not do it?

So what makes for the good slimey stuff in oil? And please don't say "smart molecules" LOL!

I now see Magnatec is also supposed to 'cling'. I guess they sort of insinuate to the unwise it sticks to the metal like a 'magnet'...

Last edited:
e
Originally Posted by Silver
So what makes for the good slimey stuff in oil? And please don't say "smart molecules" LOL!

I now see Magnatec is also supposed to 'cling'. I guess they sort of insinuate to the unwise it sticks to the metal like a 'magnet'...

A more persistent oil film.
Much like this paper related to my industry. Chemistry can influence film persistence and this can be developed for the intended persistence perfomance barriers. https://www.onepetro.org/conference-paper/NACE-02503
The barrier in the paper is large volumes of flowing water washing away corrosion inhibitor in pipe. In an engine the barrier to persistence is the low viscosity with the physical characteristic of lubricant to run downhill with gravity. What characteristics can cause a film to remain? They are similar characteristics that keeps a corrossion inhibitor bonded to pipe with water flowing over it. Perhaps not the same chemistry due to intended environment, but the same characteristic.

Originally Posted by Patman
In the 80s was Castrol even selling GTX? Up here in Canada at least, I only recall Castrol selling their XLR line. I used Castrol XLR 10w30 in my brand new 1988 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo.

I was getting GTX here in 1988 in 5w-30 for my LTD. I couldn't tell you how new that was, since my main reason for buying it was to differentiate my personal stash from the taxi stash.

My story of shame is that my gap year I worked in a Shell Service station...and while Castrol XL and GTX half litre and one litre glass bottles were common on highway service stations, we were told no, they had to go.

Was my job to take them to the dump...the pocket high racks, and all the glass pourer bottles.

Boss said I could take them home, but living with parents who threw whatever they wanted out when they wanted to (made coming home from Uni for holidays a whole new experience)…

I threw the lot in the dump...

My grandfather used Castrol 20w50 in all of the aircooled volkswagaons he worked On I would help him and we built a mini stock race car. I wish I remember the labels they were green and silver and red. And it was 1982-1984. he loved how cheap he could buy it by the case at Kmart. And always commented on how clean the oil stayed compared to what he had used before.

I was told by some on here that worked for Castrol that the same chemistry found in Magnatec is also in the Edge line, as Shannow stated. However if you call Castrol USA they will tell you otherwise.

I've sent Castrol a message, asking if this same magical clingy stuff is in the Edge line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back