Castrol says no to dexos license

Status
Not open for further replies.
If GM would worry more about building better cars at reasonable prices than new oil certifications....forget it that makes too much sense.

I like the new Camaro. I read the projected price of the new Z28 will be $65,000!!!???? I'll buy my third BMW before I spend that kind of money on anything GM. They haven't learned anything.

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy

I like the new Camaro. I read the projected price of the new Z28 will be $65,000!!!????

That's crazy! You can get a fully loaded 2011 Grand Sport Corvette for that price!

If GM would worry more about building better cars at reasonable prices than new oil certifications....forget it that makes too much sense.

You don't think having the right oil is an important part of a good car?

Quote:
I just don't see dexos as doing anything other than adding confusion, and expense to oil..

I think that the confusion will make them money. The mythos of Dexos and the naivete of the average consumer ..assuming that the sales force is conditioned to educate the purchaser.. should provide another avenue of revenue.

How many people here still have "Asian invasion fluid-phobia"? That's in spite of a decade of the facade being torn away and exposing their lack of uniqueness.

Well, I like to think of it as a decade
grin2.gif

speaking of decades ..I have a brake fluid flushing bash fest to check in on..

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I think d00df00d is right...

When you look at historically what has failed on GM's its not the oils fault at all so why waste time with this poo-poo and focus on better LIM's, or a better coolant than Death-Cool, sensors that don't poop-out after low mileage, heck even window regulators and A/C systems. How about easy to service vehicles????? Have you seen what a nightmare simple things should be but aren't on GM's?

Far better things to worry about then pressuring oil companies for a new oil spec when its not needed.

VW on the other hand can because their engines actually stress oils.

Now lets not turn this into a bashing thread... I'm speaking from my own experiences...

Last edited:
I have a feeling you misinterpreted what I said.
wink.gif

GM has to make durable cars that are easy to service and satisfying to own. Oil choice affects all of those things, either directly or indirectly, in many ways. I can see why they might want to make a good oil spec and consolidate things as much as possible across their lineup.

That said, I don't know the particulars of how this whole issue has unfolded so I can't comment on the oil companies' rejection of the spec.

I'm just saying it's self-contradictory to say GM should focus on making better cars instead of oil specs because good oil specs are part of better cars.

I see your point, but the car must be great first. Put (insert your favorite oil here) in a Yugo, and you have a Yugo with great oil in the sump, nothing more.

Yugos were not designed to meet the same goals as current GMs. I don't get your comparison.

Yugos were not designed to meet the same goals as current GMs. I don't get your comparison.

X2
54.gif
?

I have a feeling you misinterpreted what I said.
wink.gif

GM has to make durable cars that are easy to service and satisfying to own. Oil choice affects all of those things, either directly or indirectly, in many ways. I can see why they might want to make a good oil spec and consolidate things as much as possible across their lineup.

That said, I don't know the particulars of how this whole issue has unfolded so I can't comment on the oil companies' rejection of the spec.

I'm just saying it's self-contradictory to say GM should focus on making better cars instead of oil specs because good oil specs are part of better cars.
No I got it I just went a bit sideways from it.

Actually the goals haven't changed.

1. Sell cars- Yugo actually did pretty good at that, considering.
2. Make the vehicles affordable to sell more cars (see number one)
3. Make the cars reliable to sell more cars ( Yugo failure- but refer to number one again.)

Its pretty simple really. I realize safety and emissions rules are way more stringent now, and that also plays a part. The way I see it, if you "have" to have a whole new certification (beyond GF5) for your engine, you designed the wrong engine.

GM is failing goal number 2 above which directly affects goal number 1. $65K for a Z28? Give me a break. Any if there is actually a reason (beyond money) for Dexos, get ready for them to fail goal number 3 as well, when the average consumer has the Quick Lube put the wrong oil in their car, and something goes wrong. VW cam followers, anyone?

It seems that GM needs to go back to basics and build good reliable, affordable cars that people want to buy. One of the most exiting brands right now (in my opinion) is Ford- they are on the ball, making (and selling) what appear to be great cars. I guess they are too busy over at Ford building and selling cars (what a concept) to have time muddying the waters with oil certifications that no one needs, and the vast majority of their customers won't care about anyway.

Last edited:
A new Z28 will not be more than $45k unless they only plan to make very few.

How much were the exclusive Mustangs?????? Think about that fo awhile and not Yugo's.

Quote: "It seems that GM needs to go back to basics and build good reliable, affordable cars that people want to buy. One of the most exiting brands right now (in my opinion) is Ford- they are on the ball, making (and selling) what appear to be great cars. I guess they are too busy over at Ford building and selling cars (what a concept) to have time muddying the waters with oil certifications that no one needs, and the vast majority of their customers won't care about anyway."

GM cars are on par with ford and honda now. Toyota is way behind. Maybe you are the one who needs to catch up.

Last edited:
If the Z28 is $65k it is probably basically a ZR1 vette, so in that light it is a bargain for a supercar.

Originally Posted By: gregmp

GM cars are on par with ford and honda now. Toyota is way behind. Maybe you are the one who needs to catch up.

I agree with the Toyota statement, and Honda might be slipping a bit. I think Ford at the moment has it over GM in quality, building what the consumer wants, and turning a profit. They didn't need Uncle Sam's help either. Opinions vary though.

Originally Posted By: gregmp
A new Z28 will not be more than $45k unless they only plan to make very few.

How much were the exclusive Mustangs?????? Think about that fo awhile and not Yugo's.

I was actually thinking about Mustangs when I wrote that. Yes, there are expensive special editions....that don't require any special oil certifications. Their regular models don't require any either. You made my point.

The latest news from Motor Trend- apparently GM agrees with you.

"Only problem is the Z/28 is on hold. First, GM ran out of money to finish and launch the car. Now, some inside the company are wondering whether selling a super-fast, super-powerful two-door Chevy coupe that will likely get no better than 13-19 mpg is the right thing to do for a company that's had to beg for money from a bunch of politicians who seem to think it really ought to be building gas-sipping Prius clones."

So they may be building very few, as in zero.

If they do build it $65K seems likely, not $45K. More from Motor Trend:

""In the current environment, it would be very difficult to get any traction on a large rear-drive program," says one insider. But a hard core of performance enthusiasts inside GM are hopeful they can get the Z/28 back on track. "If we leave it too long, the car will become irrelevant," frets one source. One idea reportedly under study calls for a strictly limited production run, with each car individually numbered, to attract collectors and enthusiasts, and priced to ensure a solid profit margin."

I will agree that Toyota has slipped. Their cars are dull (just like our Hyundais, but for more money.) You will never convince me of unintended acceleration- all that is is drivers that can't driver, nor accept responsibility for their actions.

My point was GM is having problems- now is not the time to set a new bar with oil certifications.

Last edited:
My opinion is that GM needs to start building decent vehicles, pay back the millions that they borrowed from the taxpayer and stop the nonsense of having "their own oil standard." GM management is as stupid/dumb today as they were before the bankruptcy. I think there will be another bankruptcy on the horizon, if GM doesn't start thinking beyond today. I, for one, will not ever buy another GM vehicle again.

For the guy that is a MOPAR/Chrysler fan. What I wrote in another forum on Bob is the Oil Guy came true. Chrysler went bankrupt too. Thanks to dumb/stupid management. They owe millions too, to the taxpayer.

Both companies have poor quality control and poor management.

Complaining about GM's quality control while ridiculing an attempt to improve it. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back