Castrol says no to dexos license

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does Castrol get out of getting dexos certification - as far as I can tell, nothing. No dealer revenue. Very little revenue from quick lubes, that will fly a dexos banner, compared to SOPUS. Each player has a niche, I would imagine Castrol did a simple cost-benefit analysis that concluded it was a net money loser. Also if they all cave to GM now, what happens if Chrysler and Ford follow suit.

I think the Euro comparison is irrelevant. We already have a North American standard that they all play by: API. It makes Dexos redundant and a waste of money.

Edit: And I will vote my approval with my wallet and make my next oil purchase Syntec.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Volvo has the Castrol Logo on the cap too. In fact I just had my first 7500 mile maintenance done at the Volvo dealer. I took Castrol Edge 5w-30, and that is what they used( i got the empty bottles back), but the service writer said that Volvo would only pay for Castrol GTX 10w-30 ( even though the manual says 5w-30 preferred), so they put Castrol GTX 10w-30 on the work order so they could get paid by Volvo.
Worst part was they washed the car without telling me and I spent several hours afterward removing swirl marks. They washed the car even though it was spotless and didn't have a swirl mark anywhere. It is black, so I have been very careful with washing/drying the car. I keep 2 coats of Rejex on it.

"We already have a North American standard that they all play by: API."

Not now. GM isn't.

Interesting. I would assume XOM will license due to their relationship with GM, but anything could happen. I wonder if this opens up the door for others to follow......

Originally Posted By: badnews
When asked: If a dexos1™ license engine oil is not used in an engine that calls for dexos1™, will the warranty be voided?," Castrol says, "No." They continue by adding, "In order for the warranty to be voided, the engine manufacturer must prove that the engine oil caused the failure. If the engine oil meets / exceeds the requirements of dexos™ 1, the warranty can not be voided just because the engine oil in question is not officially licensed."

It's real funny like when Amsoil says this, if ya know what I'm saying.

I don't see the big deal here and both Castrol and Valvoline pounding their chest at it. If they felt so strongly about/against it then why do both of them have both Dexron VI and ATF+4. They are both licensed products. If they want to go the Amsoil route just make an ATF and claim on the label it meets or exceeds all those specs and don't pay the license fees on the ATF. Same thing with Mercon V.

Originally Posted By: dparm
BMW has the Castrol logo on the cap, not VW.

2009 Jetta. Don't mind the dirty engine bay - I'll clean it when I do my work this weekend. It would seem that VW, BMW, and Volvo have Castrol on the cap. It goes to show that BP may be stretched to thin and simply don't have the revenue to bother with getting certified.

5e53e45b.jpg

ac522dfc.jpg

I will use a licensed oil, but if I did deviate from one I'd use Amsoil over any BP/Ashland product.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I don't see the big deal here and both Castrol and Valvoline pounding their chest at it. If they felt so strongly about/against it then why do both of them have both Dexron VI and ATF+4. They are both licensed products. If they want to go the Amsoil route just make an ATF and claim on the label it meets or exceeds all those specs and don't pay the license fees on the ATF. Same thing with Mercon V.

Because they have competitors like Pennzoil, XOM, and Chevron that have licensed Dexron VI and ATF+4 in their ATF line. Castrol and Valvoline don't want to be left behind.

If Castrol and Valvoline's competitors start jumping on the dexos wagon then they will most likely follow suit.

BTW, Valvoline's latest spec sheet for MaxLife ATF no longer lists any official licenses. It used to be licensed for Merc V. Everything is suitable for... looks like they've had it with all these license fees.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
When asked: If a dexos1™ license engine oil is not used in an engine that calls for dexos1™, will the warranty be voided?," Castrol says, "No." They continue by adding, "In order for the warranty to be voided, the engine manufacturer must prove that the engine oil caused the failure. If the engine oil meets / exceeds the requirements of dexos™ 1, the warranty can not be voided just because the engine oil in question is not officially licensed."

My first thought when I read that was "Who do they think they are, Amsoil?"
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Yep, there went the neighborhood. Another oil company is going "commando".

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Smart move by consumers is not buying Government Motor, then they don't worry about Dexos or not Dexos.
There are so many that are buying G.M.

I'm betting from a good source that even XOM won't bother with the dexos issue either...

Besides, GM screwed themselves timing this right around the same time as SN......

The only reason Shell even bothered with it was to steal some sales from the old timers.(also those who actually pay attention to spec)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I'm betting from a good source that even XOM won't bother with the dexos issue either...

If true, I wonder if those rumors of Pennzoil getting the GM factory fill contract will come to pass?

I'd like to see it, just to shake things up a little.
grin2.gif

I don't see how dexos can be a hit as of now PU has not done well at all, anything in this current economy that cost the customer more money will be looked at... then again buying a 25K car looking at oil price doesn't do much for many people in the real world.

When comparing long drain intervals of euro or spec oils/engines that's not really fair being many oil life monitors go off at 10k or later designed to run on conventional, yet reading here it seems 90% of people maybe more (just here mind you) will not hit 20% using synthetics LOL so how will dexos extend anything..

I just don't see dexos as doing anything other than adding confusion, and expense to oil.. I may eat my words and be looking for green, red or purple dexos in the years to come for my 2.3L accord, as of now my opinion will not change until I see proof otherwise meaning dexos is a way for GM to extract more money without bringing anything to the table better oil or engine wise... I hope I eat my words by purchasing a dexos/dexos approved oil in my accord soon.

The comments about purchasing amsoil over castrol is still far fetched, the average consumer (myself included) will go to local store walmart or whatever and pick up castrol or another non approved oil like valvoline to run in place of dexos rather than amsoil for no other reason than the fact is it's local, easy to get, and castrol made it pretty clear their dexos opinion.. if it's a big hit though you will see castrol valvoline dexos as well.

Now I'm going to have to order some amsoil it looks as if I have been bashing amsoil, that's far from the truth, only using it as a reference for many BITOG'ers (from the thread on what to call members) myself, and most every day people.

Originally Posted By: TTK
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
How is GM having a spec for oil different from several Euros that do? I don't see anyone here saying to not use spec oil in them, or not buy Euro cars.

That's my feeling also. How is GM different than some of the European manufactures?

FWIW this European FUCHS oil has GM DEXOS 2 approval:

TITAN GT1 PRO FLEX SAE 5W-30

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back