Castrol says no to dexos license

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just not Castrol, it's also Valvoline, as Tom said it's two major PCMO that stand out in the past, and present as major oil companies occupying a lot of space shelf, and two of the most common name brand oils as well compared to a special mail order product (be it amsoil or anything) there is a difference...

Nothing bad meant towards amsoil, it's just not the same comparing this to amsoil.

Originally Posted By: rclint
Originally Posted By: tig1
Perhaps XM already meets Dexos. Any chance of that?

Or lord I'm starting to think like tig1 now... as I said I imagine they are making dexos for GM, still they may have to pay the fee ? I dunno, the others I'm sure meet the specifications as well... BUT that don't matter they want that cha ching in fees to use the dexos name, and a big cha ching on fees charged to meet dexos

Am I the BITOG standard now for lack of knowledge?

no tig1, but you are still the XOM ( I want to say preacher here, or salesman) not a low jab at ya just meaning I may in fact be correct about M1 (or whatever it will be) being made, and formulated by XOM...the other oil companies will not be wanting to pay fees to GM, or XOM... and we already have enough numbers, and specifications on the oil bottle, along with those being currently always being updated we don't need dexos.. GF5 should be everything that is needed in an oil. That goes for dexos, GM, ford, VW, I don't care unless they are bringing new technology to the table leave the specifications as GF

Originally Posted By: tig1
Just to use Castrol or Amsoil would you take the chance with a new GM engine? I wouldn't.

This only applies while its under warranty. Most people who have their cars serviced under warranty have the oil changed at the dealer too. We're the exception, not the norm. Once the warranty is up people start having their car serviced elsewhere (dealers tending to be more expensive), and then dexos is moot.

I can see XOM paying it. And I can even so SOPUS paying it as its in sync with how they've been re-branding their Pennzoil brand (or re-imaging it), and if we (and my local WMs who are using it for their service OCs and pushing it hard with aggressive pricing in the auto section) are any kind of thermometer, I'd say Pennzoil is succeeding.

Castrol doesn't benefit in any way from dexos. If anything, they gain when others push their prices up to cover the licensing while Castrol can profitably undercut and at least retain, if not increase, their market share.

-Spyder

I look at it this way. Mobil won the bidding war to be FF for GM, then let Mobil pay for the license. Shell can pay if they want to, IMO its a waste. Castrol is playing it like Amsoil. If people like the brand they are going to buy it, GM approval or not. In the end more profit for Castrol less for GM.

Besides like Amsoil, Castrol is offering to cover warranty repairs if a failure is related to oil. A hot topic but something very common.

When asked: If a dexos1™ license engine oil is not used in an engine that calls for dexos1™, will the warranty be voided?," Castrol says, "No." They continue by adding, "In order for the warranty to be voided, the engine manufacturer must prove that the engine oil caused the failure. If the engine oil meets / exceeds the requirements of dexos™ 1, the warranty can not be voided just because the engine oil in question is not officially licensed."

This has always been the bottom line.
moss ferguson act prevent any failure to make warranty repairs

Last edited:
How is GM having a spec for oil different from several Euros that do? I don't see anyone here saying to not use spec oil in them, or not buy Euro cars. I think GM should just require GF5 and I don't really care for long life and synthetic oils. Licensing is not all bad. At least with licensing you don't have to go to OE supplier for things like coolant and ATF. Licensing saves consumers money.

Mehh, this is not really a big deal. Will they lose some business as a result? Maybe. Castrol has other things to spend their time and money on.

Maybe now they will reduce the price to be in line with PYB and QS. God they are expensive...
smirk2.gif

That's the strange thing about oil pricing - how much it varies from region to region, even in the same country. Here Castrol (GTX and Syntec) are consistently among the cheapest oils at ChinaMart. Pennzoil and Supertech are the only competition price wise. Sometimes Valvoline WB will go on a rollback that puts it where PYB and Castrol are, but its been months since I've seen VWB rolled back.

I'm at a total loss to explain the price differences, as its all imported here.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
How is GM having a spec for oil different from several Euros that do? I don't see anyone here saying to not use spec oil in them, or not buy Euro cars.

That's my feeling also. How is GM different than some of the European manufactures? The "idea" that has been put forth on BITOG in previous posts about ACEA and ILSAC/API is that the manufactures know their engines best, so they should set the oil standards. I also don't see what Shell is getting out of their position of licensing their oils. How are they any different in this perspective than BP/Castrol?

Well if Dexos allows GM to extended its OLM and you are running it to the max then you might want an oil that is Dexos approved. Since Shell may have approved oil for no more cost and even less than a non-approved oil like Castrol or Valvoline, the choice seems like a no brainer. Even if you are not running a GM OLM application, I'd prefer the oil that has more approvals at the same price or lower.

I personally think GM's OLM is long enough even calibrated for GF4 dino oils.

I suspect that its because SOPUS has a bigger share of the quick lube market than Castrol. This allows the shops that use SOPUS oils to fly the dexos banner to attract those who know what it means. Castrol caters to a different market. From my perspective, they get nothing out of it. Same for Valvoline.

-Spyder

From Lubereport.com
"This year’s survey showed Valvoline claiming 20 percent of oil changes by locations in the smaller category – second-highest and a big jump from the 12 percent share it had in 2003. Valvoline’s gains appeared to come at the expense of Pennzoil and Castrol. Pennzoil is still the segment’s leader, with a 28 percent market share, but that was down from 31 percent last year. Castrol’s share fell from 10 percent to 7 percent, tied for fourth with Mobil. Quaker State’s rose from 11 percent to 12 percent, keeping it in third place."

So Pennzoil + Quaker State = 40%

Edited to say this is a 2004 report. So, may be outdated.

Last edited:
Could it be that BP's decision not to get Castrol certified is they don't want to fork over the $$ to get certified. The gulf cleanup has been expensive. As is their agreement with VW for certification and that lovely Castrol on the oil cap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back